Vista SP2 RTM

Now show me what specific functionality most users will notice that Microsoft added that is already not available in Windows Update? The fact is there are none.

Easy. SP2 finally fixes the randomly resetting folder settings/window size issue. There several threads in Vista support discussing the bug.

Easy. SP2 finally fixes the randomly resetting folder settings/window size issue. There several threads in Vista support discussing the bug.

That is a minor fix most users don't care about except a few geeks.

Try again.

Now show me what specific functionality most users will notice that Microsoft added that is already not available in Windows Update? The fact is there are none.

The answer lies in the question. Installing SP2 basically rolls in a few performance and reliability fixes not generally released, all the patches released since SP1, and some other small enhancements, plus meaning you have to download a lot less on WU. If you'd rather download 800 odd MB of updates every time you reinstall Windows, by all means keep to the SP0 version. For the rest of us, a new service pack release is welcome. Why so many people whine about them is beyond me, keeping an aggressive update and release schedule is a good thing.

Maybe you are suffering from the placebo effect that many experience when they install a service pack or maybe the SP reset some bad settings in the registry to better settings?

I have considered this possibility, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it. I actually have a fairly significant performance problem with SP1 on every box I own, which doesn't come up with SP2. (Not app performance, but lag/stalling on opening certain windows.)

Yes, it could obviously be related to applications/drivers I run or any number of other things, but it's a big enough thing for me to take note.

The answer lies in the question. Installing SP2 basically rolls in a few performance and reliability fixes not generally released, all the patches released since SP1, and some other small enhancements, plus meaning you have to download a lot less on WU. If you'd rather download 800 odd MB of updates every time you reinstall Windows, by all means keep to the SP0 version. For the rest of us, a new service pack release is welcome. Why so many people whine about them is beyond me, keeping an aggressive update and release schedule is a good thing.

You are absolutely correct if you are talking of a fresh install of SP1, but most people will be up dating a older install that should already be fully patched.

I have considered this possibility, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it. I actually have a fairly significant performance problem with SP1 on every box I own, which doesn't come up with SP2. (Not app performance, but lag/stalling on opening certain windows.)

Yes, it could obviously be related to applications/drivers I run or any number of other things, but it's a big enough thing for me to take note.

Are you talking about the bug that affects the control panel where Windows Explorer takes a couple of seconds to display all the icons? While annoying, that is still a minor bug fix most users will rarely notice since few people actually spend a lot of time in the control panel once Windows is configured. But yes in your case I could see how that would be a big deal since you probably use the control panel frequently.

I was under the impression although Vista SP1 and Server 2008 use a similar kernel, they weren't exactly the same. I'm still under that impression, but I admit I can't find the info. *shrug*

Now that SP2 is almost out, it hardly matters anyway.

If you search for conversations on Windows Server 2008 as a workstation, it is brought up that the kernels are exactly the same. Those were confirmed by our very own "Brandon Live".

SP2 confirms such a hypothesis with the same package being used for Vista and 2008.

Are you talking about the bug that affects the control panel where Windows Explorer takes a couple of seconds to display all the icons? While annoying, that is still a minor bug fix most users will rarely notice since few people actually spend a lot of time in the control panel once Windows is configured. But yes in your case I could see how that would be a big deal since you probably use the control panel frequently.

I've had it happen to more than just the CP. I rarely open the CP cause most things I need I just use the inbuilt search to get to. 'dev' to get to the device manager is much quicker than clicking through so many windows.

I've had it happen to more than just the CP. I rarely open the CP cause most things I need I just use the inbuilt search to get to. 'dev' to get to the device manager is much quicker than clicking through so many windows.

It affects more than the Control Panel, but that is where it is most apparent and why I used it as an example.

You must be joking. That's one of the most glaring and annoying bugs in Vista.

Most users stick with defaults. It may be glaring to us anal, "must have it our way types" but most people will hardly notice it.

Most users stick with defaults. It may be glaring to us anal, "must have it our way types" but most people will hardly notice it.

I've had several non-tech people ask me about the bug so it's not just anal nerds who complained about that bug, although I will agree, it's a fairly minor one.

I've had several non-tech people ask me about the bug so it's not just anal nerds who complained about that bug, although I will agree, it's a fairly minor one.

I wasn't necessarily implying on this one that only nerds have noticed it. anal types (Not just nerds) in general will notice it, especially non techie Windows power users. (Yes those do exist in offices all over the country.)

@Intelman:

The answer is yes.

I'm looking forward to that damn bug which causes wireless connections to fail upon waking from sleep to finally be fixed. Why a fix for that hasn't been released on WU is beyond me :rolleyes:

It affects more than the Control Panel, but that is where it is most apparent and why I used it as an example.

Either way, SP2 fixing all the glitchy crap is why I won't be bothering to move to 7 right away.

It might go on my notebook pretty soon after launch, but I'm undecided as to whether or not it'll do anything for me in general. Vista's been great except for the little glitches.

I'm looking forward to that damn bug which causes wireless connections to fail upon waking from sleep to finally be fixed. Why a fix for that hasn't been released on WU is beyond me :rolleyes:

Have you looked through Microsoft's knowledge base articles to see if a hotfix is available for your particular bug? Many hotfixes are only available in specific cases and linked to in these articles.

Vista was such a failure, it's dead even before the new windows came out.

*d'oh* and your comment is the failure of today :rolleyes:

May have been true with SP1 but it is in no way true of SP2. SP2 brings the Vista kernel up to the same as Server 2008s, so it's definately more than that.

Vista and Server 2008 share the same codebase starting with Vista Sp1.

You must be joking. That's one of the most glaring and annoying bugs in Vista.

but only for some people. Most people didn't realize that Vista uses different folder types for different folder content. This is not a bug. The only bug which occurs, is that sometime changes the view to music or pictures even if there are no files of this type in it. But this only happens 1 time in 3 months for me. So this is a minor issue.

Request the update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953270/en-US. On the page you can see a link, type in your email and request it.

Have you looked through Microsoft's knowledge base articles to see if a hotfix is available for your particular bug? Many hotfixes are only available in specific cases and linked to in these articles.

My what a forum troll you are. I guess you will not be installing SP2 since you "already have all updates".

Sp2 includes more updates than those freely released for download, new features and so on.

There is no reason to argue with EVERYONE. My experience with the SP2 betas, installed over a clean installed Vista SP1, is that it feels more slick and responsive.

Are you going to argue that this is also a placebo effect?

(i just selected your last post to quote and reply, has nothing to do with what you wrote)

My what a forum troll you are. I guess you will not be installing SP2 since you "already have all updates".

Sp2 includes more updates than those freely released for download, new features and so on.

There is no reason to argue with EVERYONE. My experience with the SP2 betas, installed over a clean installed Vista SP1, is that it feels more slick and responsive.

Are you going to argue that this is also a placebo effect?

(i just selected your last post to quote and reply, has nothing to do with what you wrote)

Welcome to my iggy list, jerk.

Vista was such a failure, it's dead even before the new windows came out.

Your opinion is a failure. Perhaps you should stop sharing it because nobody agrees with your flawed assessment.