Whatever happened to Zonealarm?

Question

A few years ago, you can ask tech guru what firewall software they would recommend and you would undoubtedly get Zonealarm. For years it really was the best out there, free or not. At least that's what I remembered.

Recently I decided to stop using Windows Firewall on my new laptop and use Zonalarm again. Oh how the mighty have fallen.. :(

Apparently it was the reason Vista seemed to take forever to shut down. I googled it and came up with hundreds of people complaining about it, and other problems it caused.

So, anyone know what happened to Zonealarm?

IN YOUR OPINION YOU MEAN! comodo is a very good firewall. you also do know that most people with hardware firewalls use a software backup to right?

I'm sorry - youre right -- "in my opinion" --

should have prefaced my post with that...

and we all know my opinions usually arent very highly regarded :blush:

Is a powerful software firewall still necessary? I've ceased to use it since Vista and 7 (using Windows Firewall with basic outbound filtering enabled as well as the default inbound filtering), and with the addition of a NAT device.

In case you didn't know, ZoneAlarm was bought by Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. in 2003 (or somewhere there) ... I had ZA before it was bought out.

Now I am using Comodo.

• Like 2

Most ppl have Broadband now with routers/modems that have built in Firewalls. Although Windows Firewall is basic it sits on top of the hardware protection nicely.

This.

Router + XP/Vista/7 Firewall = enough protection. Stoppped using 3rd party software firewalls when I stopped plugging my desktop straight into the cable modem instead of via a router.

Hardware firewalls (NAT/SPI) always made crapware like ZoneAlarm unnecessary.

All software firewalls are "fearware" designed to make you feel secure when in truth a good hardware router, automatic windows updates, and best in class antivirus (KAV, Eset, etc.) were all you ever needed.

ZA always gave me fits. I'm not exactly sure why but I got tired of messing with it and got a router. It may work for a lot of people but I could never recommend it to anyone.

Sygate was the best.

Like all other software-based firewalls - its pretty much garbage and pointless.

It was just popular garbage -

If you want a firewall- buy a hardware-based one

I dont think its as bad as buying a cheap radar detector for your car... but its still pointless.

A cheap radar detector is worse than NO radar detector - it gives you a false sense of security.

I guess the same can be said about software-based firewalls...

Hardware firewalls (NAT/SPI) always made crapware like ZoneAlarm unnecessary.

All software firewalls are "fearware" designed to make you feel secure when in truth a good hardware router, automatic windows updates, and best in class antivirus (KAV, Eset, etc.) were all you ever needed.

Yep. A software firewall basically doesn't offer any sort of protection that the Window's (XPSP2 & Vista) firewall doesn't already provide.

Filtering your outbound connection is pointless, considering once you are infected with malware, it's pretty much going to do what it wants to, anyways. And the more popular your firewall is (like zonealarm was) the more likely malware would contain specific code for it's circumvention anyways.

And security via obscurity isn't security. :/

Avira Antivirus, Windows Defender, Vista's native firewall and common sense works wonders for me.

Avira = good, I hear -- dont know personally

OS native firewall -- dont know -- probably relatively OK

Windows Defender -- ?? pointless buggy app get rid of it

Common Sense -- the best form of security there is , or .... it can single handledly render all other security forms moot,

I used ZoneAlarm a few years ago, but have since then moved on to just using the built in Windows XP firewall with my router. I think this is more than enough protection. ZoneAlarm was a good program, but it seamed to slow down my computer, especially on startup.