The Device Name is Already in Use...

if you need help and are in the PA, NJ, MD, NY metropolitan areas I could recommend a few consulting companies that could help out with your needs if Budman can't come through.

bud, I have no doubt that you can do this. however, for whatever reason that you wouldn't be able to remote in or walk him through it over the phone I am throwing that out there. that has nothing to do with confidence in your ability to get things running.

*UPDATE*

Received a call early this morning that users continue to get the device name already in use error and it seems to be getting worse. One employee was doing some work on a document on the shared drive, went to save later, and resulted in his computer hanging indefinitely. He had to force shutdown his PC and lost that hour of work. He's now advising other employees to save to their local hard-drive and then move to the server after, as a temporary solution. I'm going to be over there at about noon/12:30pm to work through this. That a good time Bud? *SC, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how things go, I think we should be able to get it.

Mike

*UPDATE 2*

I just read through another post regarding DNS on Server 2008 and realized we have our domain name as the mail server dns name... I haven't had issue with this in the past but I'm guessing this could be the cause of the email client not being able to access the pop mail server since when pointing to the server's dns, it looks for company.com locally and not publicly... I am hoping I can get around this without reinstalling AD, I would hate to dedicate another few hours to this but if it's necessary, then so be it.

Mike

so when you were testing clients resolving outside names just using your AD dns -- you just used the pop fqdn to test? You didn't test say google or neowin, etc.

But yeah if your AD is domainA.com and your trying to access pop3.domainA.com that is on the outside your going to have issues ;) but what you could do is create a record for pop3. in what your AD dns believes its the authoritative owner of.

Its never really a good idea to use a public domain name that is in use as your AD, if your public domain is say public.com, you could use public.net internally or public.lan or public.local, etc.

Right, I've done local in the past with no issues as well. I'm wondering if there's a workaround for when, internally, a client PC tries to contact the pop.companyA.com, it has a rule created which routes that traffic externally? Aside from that, I believe there is no other issue regarding the FQDN.

So your AD dns owns companyA.com

If you want to route externally for host pop, then you need to create a record in your AD dns for pop.companyA.com that points to the eternal IP.. Then when your clients ask your AD dns for pop.companyA.com it will resolve to the external IP.

The only drawback to this is if that IP changes you would manually have to update your AD dns to reflect the change.

So I guess you have no plans of running exchange, if so you could have exchange pull all the email for your users from the pop box and users would not need to go out externally to grab their mail - the exchange box would do it for them, etc.

So have you tested that other sites resolve correctly? Say google or neowin, then the forwarders you set up are working - and its just a problem that your AD dns owns the companyA.com domain.

I do believe you can rename the AD domain (see below links). But it might be easier to just create a record for this one external host that is in the companyA.com domain.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.ht...757&start=0

Active Directory Domain Rename - Not Difficult At All

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

Windows 2003 Domain Rename

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794869.aspx

Administering Active Directory Domain Rename

I would assume this same method can be used for 2008 domains, it might even be easier? Here is a article that states 2008 domain rename

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/techscrawl/ser...in-rename-28069

Server 2008 Domain Rename

Edited by BudMan

mike,

the internal domain should alway be something like companyname.local or companyname.internal, never use any .com, .org, .info, etc for an internal name as if you have an external domain it will conflict if you have a external domain with the same name.

I agree 110% with that SC, but MS does not really make that clear.. From the best practices it can be very confusing on what name you should use for your AD domain.

--

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727085.aspx

Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks

The forest root domain name is also the name of the forest. To name the forest root domain:

1. Identify your organization's DNS owner and determine what registered DNS names you have available on the network that will host Active Directory.

Keep in mind that the names available on this network may be distinct from the names that your company exposes on the Internet. For example, the name your organization uses on the Internet might be contosopharma.com and the name used on your internal corporate network might be contoso.com. In this case the name that you select is contoso.com

If you do not have a registered domain name, you should register a name with an Internet DNS registration authority.

Note: As a best practice use DNS names registered with an Internet authority in the Active Directory namespace. Only registered names are guaranteed to be globally unique. If another organization later registers the same DNS domain name, or if your organization merges with, acquires, or is acquired by other company that uses the same DNS names then the two infrastructures can never interact with one another.

--

So it very understandable why new admins could get confused.. On one hand they state you should only use Registered Domain names with ICANN, but then they give a pretty lazy example not using the name you use on the public net, etc.

But Im with you -- you should never use a domain you use on the public net as your AD domain.. it can be registered sure, but you should not be actively using it. I like to use .local or .lan etc. -- these are not valid tlds on the public space, and that way you can use the same name. another common thing is to use .net or .org when you use .com on the public side. But I don't like that -- since you never know when you might want to use those on the public side, etc.

I was going to wait until I tried another step before posting results but I can always update again later. I left the office after discussing with BudMan the issue. The AD domain name was in fact the same name as the external domain name that hosts the mail. Thus, we created the pop host record and pointed it to the IP address of the mail server, which was easy to find by doing a WHOIS search on the domain. Once added, we removed the Comcast DNS servers from each client PC and left it so it was only pointing to the server's IP for DNS. After we changed that setting, the mail client was then able to connect to the pop server and pull down mail. We'll know more in about a day or so, but BudMan and I believe this should take care of the mapped drive error issue that I initially created this thread for "The device name is already in use...". In terms of the scanner, I've double-checked the NIC settings on the scanner itself and made sure it was in fact pointing to the server for DNS, still no luck. I'm double-checking one more sharing setting that may work but at this point that's the only thing not resolved. The ping issue was just resolved as well, it was in fact through the Cisco ASA that needed ICMP configured, and now we can ping externally. I appreciate all the support we've received and I'll comment again tomorrow once we know if this issue has been taken care of for good. Thanks much!

Mike

*UPDATE*

The issue that was producing the "device name is already in use" error seems to have been resolved by the aforementioned steps :). The only remaining issue is the scanning. The folder which is being scanned to on the server has the correct shared settings, the scanner has the correct settings as well, but no luck. Canon is coming early next week to try an idea they have, I'll keep everyone posted. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but I hope it can be helpful for those of you who run into a similar issue. Thanks all!

Mike