Not Trustworthy

Miss A: I was told that you have broken off your betrothal with Mr. C?

Miss B: Yeah, I have.

Miss A: Why? Hasn't he been very nice to you, has he? And you also told me he was a loving boyfriend, not to mention he's so rich and handsome. Why did you want to disengage with him?

Miss B (with anger): The day before yesterday we both went to see a fortune teller, who told me that I would have 3 children. But the fortune teller told him that he would have 5. Jeez! With whom he will have his fourth, and fifth baby? He is not trustworthy to be my future hubby!

while not funny or a joke?

the fortune teller was predicting the future after there brerak up which is why the number was different in the first place.

I see guys.

I think there is a gap in understanding what is funny in such kind of jokes between China/East Culture and West Culture.

I just want to tell you that the joke is quite humorous and funny in China.

Without proper cultural background, the punch line will no long be understood well.

I see guys.

I think there is a gap in understanding what is funny in such kind of jokes between China/East Culture and West Culture.

I just want to tell you that the joke is quite humorous and funny in China.

Without proper cultural background, the punch line will no long be understood well.

I think I get the joke, but it wasn't clear. You are referring to babies to mean the woman's breasts. So the woman is going to have three children, but the man is going to have five children, two of which are the woman's breasts aka "babies".

It was more the delivery that was a problem, as well as the choice of the word "children". I assume you were attempting a direct translation, which causes issues when it comes to any form of art or entertainment.

I think I get the joke, but it wasn't clear. You are referring to babies to mean the woman's breasts. So the woman is going to have three children, but the man is going to have five children, two of which are the woman's breasts aka "babies".

It was more the delivery that was a problem, as well as the choice of the word "children". I assume you were attempting a direct translation, which causes issues when it comes to any form of art or entertainment.

does the joke need to be that complex? i think the punchline is the lady believed the fortune teller over the guy, an amusing situation to some.

Thanks for commenting.

But the native English speakers with whom I contacted have all understood the word "baby" in the joke correctly to be "a very young child". None of them took it mistakenly as "the woman's breasts".

It is de facto very clear that in the context of "3 children", "5", the "fourth, fifth baby" refers to "fourth, fifth infant".

So I am afraid that your argument cannot hold water. :)

I thought the joke was about how the fortuneteller could predict accurately as he/she knew they were going to break up and therefore would have different sets of children in the future. This is kinda confusing...

The 'story' comes across to english intact, but things like tone and pun don't. I guess you could say it isn't so much the content of the joke as it is how the joke is told. :)

The man and woman see the fortune teller individually. As we all know that fortune tellers are little more than crooks trying to make money. He gives each of them a different answer not realising that they are engaged to each other. The lady misinterprets this and thinks her soon-to-be husband might be having an affair with another woman.

post-121608-1242633944.jpg

The man and woman see the fortune teller individually. As we all know that fortune tellers are little more than crooks trying to make money. He gives each of them a different answer not realising that they are engaged to each other. The lady misinterprets this and thinks her soon-to-be husband might be having an affair with another woman.

This. It wasn't that difficult.

the fortune teller was predicting the future after there brerak up which is why the number was different in the first place.

+1

the fortune teller has already predicted the break up caused by their visit

oh wait, could it mean that he has impregnated another woman (2 babies) in addition to his fiancee(3 babies) ?