Cannot re-enable UAC

Hi,

When I my computer, I run as a standard user, and if I need to do anything adminy, UAC pops up and I can log in as an admin.

However, I needed to have UAC disabled to install a program, so I disabled it, installed the program and tried to re-enable it but it wont work. I click the checkbox to re-enable it, click ok, but the setting doesn't stick.

I tried to enable it in the registry, the error message I got was

Cannot edit EnableLUA: Error writing the value's new contents.

Another, even more worrying development is that if I try and log off and log back in, or even switch user, I can't: I get to the screen with the user pictures, click on the admin account, enter my password, and nothing happens, it just goes back to the screen with the user pictures. But now I can't log back in to my own account, I have to restart my computer. I have it set up to automatically log me in, so I don't have to log in when I start up my PC. I tried changing the auto login option to my admin account, but the setting doesn't stick, but no error message appears.

I tried doing a system restore, but when I try to open system restore, i get this error:

There was an unexpected error:

Class not registered (0x80040154)

Please close System Restore and try again.

I can't get to system restore even by pressing F8 on start up and choosing Repair your Computer. I have also tried going into safe mode, but I get all the same problems (system restore wont work, can't switch users)

This is a really annoying problem, as some applications wont run at all unless they are in an admin account, and there are very few applications that I can install without admin access.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition.

I hope I have given enough information and I think i've tried all the obvious things, but any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

It sounds to me like you have a virus that has locked UAC and your other accounts out... I would recommend scanning your system for virus's and/or mal-ware. You can use Kasperksy's Online Scanner to check for virus threats and you can use Malwarebytes to scan for malware. Also one other item that might be useful is Hijackthis simply run this program and save a log to the desktop and then post it for review here!

Edit: Also try Tweakuac this might allow you to re-enable UAC

Edited by Jonathan Nelson

Hmm, perhaps this is obvious.

UAC worked before you installed this program.

UAC stopped working after you installed this program.

So what program did you install?