Microsoft Security Essential Version Differences

As we know MSE had leaked last week with version 1.0.2140.0, But Microsoft has made this available on Microsoft Connect with version 1.0.1407.00.

Has anyone noticed that the leaked version is newer than the one Microsoft made available?

I have attached a screenshot containing the Microsoft released version info (on left) and the leaked verion info (on right).

post-149938-1245771521_thumb.png

I've noticed it as well, but I uninstalled the leaked version and installed the official beta.

Are there any differences between the builds?

Are there any differences between the builds?

Not that I know of. The official beta installer is in fact newer, though. I'd recommend everyone install it over the leaked version.

Not that I know of. The official beta installer is in fact newer, though. I'd recommend everyone install it over the leaked version.

What in fact makes it newer?

doing that as i type, thanks again Xip

The digital signature.

So the only was to identify newer software is not by version numbering but by Digital Signature numbering?

So the only was to identify newer software is not by version numbering but by Digital Signature numbering?

That's the assumption.

Your not entirely sure are you?

Sure of what? I'm just going by the date of the digital signatures, not the build numbers. I really don't see why this is even an issue. To me, it's a no brainer to install the official beta over the leaked build.

I got my copy from Microsoft Connect.

I recommend installing the official build, obviously as the leaked version is not official. And remember this is a security software, so you should always use official version in order to be sure that you are safe, irrespective of the build number.

You'll have to uninstall first. You cannot install "over" the leaked version. (See pic)

Sure of what? I'm just going by the date of the digital signatures, not the build numbers. I really don't see why this is even an issue. To me, it's a no brainer to install the official beta over the leaked build.

It's not an issue, all i'm saying is that the Official build has a different build number compared to the leaked build. If it were a no brainer then i wouldn't have created this post looking for information on the build differences.

You'll have to uninstall first. You cannot install "over" the leaked version. (See pic)

Which I've stated in my first post in this thread. I wasn't implying installing it on top of the leaked version. I was implying if you had a choice, pick the official beta.

Well that pretty much admits that the leaked one is newer.

Well that pretty much admits that the leaked one is newer.

It's pretty obvious, the person who stated that the installer is newer as an argument why the official one is newer made me laugh :p

What is the digital signature date for the leaked version? The one from MS Beta is: Tuesday, ‎June ‎16, ‎2009 11:56:24 PM

‎Saturday, ‎June ‎13, ‎2009 11:30:24 PM

The leaked build and the build released today are the same. You are seeing a different version number on your installed leaked version because the application has been updated. When you install the version that was released today, you will find that it updates to the same 2XXX version.

What is the digital signature date for the leaked version? The one from MS Beta is: Tuesday, ‎June ‎16, ‎2009 11:56:24 PM

The digital signature on the leaked version i have says Sunday June 14th 2009 04:30:24

The leaked build and the build released today are the same. You are seeing a different version number on your installed leaked version because the application has been updated. When you install the version that was released today, you will find that it updates to the same 2XXX version.

No updates as yet