a presentation tool that is "cooler" then PowerPoint?

Question

I'm looking for a "cooler" power point tool to give a presentation with.

I don't care paying for the thing as long as i'll get a nicer flashy exhibition the the regular redundant presentations we see every day.

Thanks

19 answers to this question

Powerpoint is fairly flexible. You should be able to make presentations as 'cool' as you like, depending of course on your inherent creativity and nous for 'cool'.

This is like asking for a different word processing package than Word, in order to make your novel more exciting. Well, not quite, but almost!

well, i never had a mac, and my pocket won't give me one anytime soon, but from what i saw Mac's Presentation in iWork is pretty sleek, though im pretty sure PPT 2007 would be more verstiile, Mac presentations have sleekness, well, considering you situation, you can make PPT and somehow merge it with flash, use a movie editing software and make it a movie, you can combine them both to be pretty powerful with some tools.

If you have access to a Mac (with iWork installed), then Keynote gives you some pretty impressive templates out of the box.

+1

-Rich-

it seems to me you're more interested in a flashy template than a software...maybe you should search for those instead?

Yeah, perhaps you could tell us what exactly it is that you are trying to do and can't seem to do with PowerPoint? PowerPoint is incredibly versatile, allowing you to do most anything with some advanced knowledge and most things with relatively little knowledge. It's really a pretty good presentation tool. If you don't like any of the templates packaged with PowerPoint, there are more on Microsoft's website, and countless other sites on the net (Just search for PowerPoint Templates). It would really help if we knew what it was you were trying to do though...

In my experience it's best to keep presentations simple. Flashy transitions are just distracting. You want people to be thinking about the content of the presentation, not the animation that was just shown. IMO most of the time "flashy" presentations are only done by students who are using power point for the first time and have just discovered transitions.

I messed around with Prezi for a bit. I quit when I prepared a presentation for work, wanted to tweak it a little the night before and the server was unavailable till the next day... They say it won't happen again, but...

In my experience it's best to keep presentations simple. Flashy transitions are just distracting. You want people to be thinking about the content of the presentation, not the animation that was just shown. IMO most of the time "flashy" presentations are only done by students who are using power point for the first time and have just discovered transitions.

Absolutely right. Too much glitz (Or inappropriate glitz) has a way of looking very noobish... A clean look is best and much more professional. With that said, sometimes you do have to do certain things that are more advanced (Such as embed Flash, etc.). If that is the sort of thing you're trying to do, we can certainly help. I'm just not sure what exactly you're looking to do, so I don't know what direction to point you in.

Give pptPlex a try, it's an add-in for powerpoint made by MS. I saw a demo when I was at HQ in Reading, and it looked pretty cool.

*sigh* I miss Office Labs already...

Powerpoint is fairly flexible. You should be able to make presentations as 'cool' as you like, depending of course on your inherent creativity and nous for 'cool'.

This is like asking for a different word processing package than Word, in order to make your novel more exciting. Well, not quite, but almost!

I don't think its like that at all. I'd love to see you do something like that in Powerpoint.. :)

That's the angle btw. I don't really know what i'm trying to accomplish but when my sister asked me if there's another software she can use for her huge presentation, something that will stand out a instead of the boring powerpoint "wipe to the left" transitions i knew what she was talking about.

I don't think its like that at all. I'd love to see you do something like that in Powerpoint.. :)

That's the angle btw. I don't really know what i'm trying to accomplish but when my sister asked me if there's another software she can use for her huge presentation, something that will stand out a instead of the boring powerpoint "wipe to the left" transitions i knew what she was talking about.

That's impressive. If that's what you want, why not use that? It does look nice. The Office Labs pptPlex has similar functionality, but I don't know how deep that goes. I just downloaded it to try it out today actually. It does look promising.

problem with iWork is that it's also a widespread presentation software. it has different sets of templates from Powerpoint, and they look sleek for a windows audience who's not had much contact with apple presentations, but iWork also gets really boring really fast once you start using it. If you want "cool" presentations every time, you'll need to custom build it yourself every time using something like Electric Rain's Standout, but it involves much more work (and money) than your average presentation needs.

Make your content interesting. Do you have jokes, anecdotes, colorful analogies, questions?

The content is going to make or break the presentation more than the slides that you show.