3rd of July Holiday?

According to this: http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedu...fedhol/2009.asp

** July 4, 2009 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)

That means you can work and would have add'l day on your holiday leave, or you can take it off without any effect. I don't get it.

Will the banks/post office/customs etc will be closed or not? I hate weekend holidays.

The second and third are 'floating holidays' for the dayshift workers at the plant. I imagine lots of companies do this so they can take advantage and have a long weekend.

as far as i am concerned if the holiday is not on a day you work then oh well get over it. there should be no reason to extend the weekend just so that you can get the day off. its all stupid to me.

According to the Office of Personnel Management, the following are US Federal Holidays in 2009.

Thursday, January 1 New Year?s Day

Monday, January 19 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Monday, February 16* Washington?s Birthday

Monday, May 25 Memorial Day

Friday, July 3** Independence Day

Monday, September 7 Labor Day

Monday, October 12 Columbus Day

Wednesday, November 11 Veterans Day

Thursday, November 26 Thanksgiving Day

Friday, December 25 Christmas Day

NOTE: Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009, falls on a Tuesday. An employee who works in the District of Columbia, Montgomery or Prince George's Counties in Maryland, Arlington or Fairfax Counties in Virginia, or the cities of Alexandria or Falls Church in Virginia, and who is regularly scheduled to perform nonovertime work on Inauguration Day, is entitled to a holiday. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103©.) There is no in-lieu-of-holiday for employees who are not regularly scheduled to work on Inauguration Day.

* This holiday is designated as "Washington?s Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

** July 4, 2009 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).).)

As it reads that the 3rd will be a holiday for MOST Federal employees, I believe that the post office will be open on the 3rd and closed on the 4th.

As it reads that the 3rd will be a holiday for MOST Federal employees, I believe that the post office will be open on the 3rd and closed on the 4th.

Postal employees are not Federal employees. USPS is not a federal executive department. It used to be, though, and for the most part their employment terms mirror standard civil service (i.e. anything that isn't Homeland Security, SEC, etc).

Not so fast...

June 19, 2009: Most Post Offices will close at 12 noon on Friday, July 3...

http://www.usps.com/homearea/postofficeclo...iceclosurejuly3

Most means ALL, except for major distribution offices, they are open 24 hours anyways, like airport based ones and the main one here in manhattan. Next stop, customs officials, banks and strip joints. If they are all closed, it is officially an holiday that day. :D