Heatsink very loud! - Zalman CNPS-9700LED - How to fix?

Cordial Greetings,

I've got a custom built computer that's almost 2 years old now, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 on a P5K-E WiFi motherboard with a Zalman CNPS-9700LED heatsink.

Has been running pretty much perfectly for the last two years.

Just today, when I got back from work, turned my computer on; the heatsink was very loud.

So I unplugged my computer, put it on a blank desk then spent the better part of an hour cleaning/clearing the dust out.

Plugged everything back in, but unfortunately the problem still occurs.

:pinch:

I've also tried changing the fan speed manually, to no avail.

Please recommend a method for fixing my heatsink.

Thank you,

Work s p a c e r

BTW: I still have the HeatSink which came with somewhere, so if the worst comes to worst I can use that.

And just for clarification, it's not exactly the heatsink that is making noise, it's the heatsink fan. The heatsink is the actual chunk of aluminum and copper.

But I agree, you need a new fan. You should be able to purchase an exact replacement from the manufacturer. Or you could likely get something else to work with a little modification. There are several vendors with fans, I recommend FrozenCPU.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g36/Fans.html?id=E8tgJSd6

Yep. You'll need to replace the fan on the heatsink. Check out the links that were posted so far. They should be helpful! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've emailed the people who I bought the hardware from, and am waiting for a reply from them, as it may be still under warranty.

Otherwise, I would think replacing it with the generic Intel heatsink/fan would be my best & cheapest choice?

Would you agree?

Yeah there is nothing wrong with the stock fan/heatsink, it's a great cooler.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've emailed the people who I bought the hardware from, and am waiting for a reply from them, as it may be still under warranty.

Otherwise, I would think replacing it with the generic Intel heatsink/fan would be my best & cheapest choice?

Would you agree?

the warranty shows to be 1 year. That is a pretty good cooler and replacing the fan @ 14.95 would be a good investment. But its your decision.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=591246228

^Why did you quote a link to this topic?

jwjw1: I have a certification I'm training for, whose training I need to finish within the next week. So I don't really have the time to order something from the US.

Thanks JamesYFX - I'll pick up the stock cooler tomorrow.

Greetings once again,

After replacing with the stock cooler, the noise was still happening.

Ended up finding the cause, a faulty IDE Hard-Drive.

So now I find myself in a little predicament... should I put the 3rd party heatsink back in, or keep the generic?

Damn that noisy heatsink! You should've got gold instead of copper, I hear it's a lot quieter... Especially when shown in large amounts.

Well, the effect usually lasts a few seconds at least. ;)

Glad you found the problem! Use the original though!

Arghh... put back the Zalman or leave the Generic?

BTW: Some of the outer copper on the Zalman has been bent, whilst I was cleaning it. And I'm out of Thermal Grease. Would it still be alright to use?

Okay, I;'ll go buy some now.

Quick Question: Does anyone know which way it should be facing?

Toward the RAM, the GFX or the outside of the case?

The fan on the Zalman should be on the ram side, that way it blows air towards the rear of your case and your case fan then expels said air.

It would look something like this:

ItLives2.jpg

a good way to troubleshoot those noisy fans....stop them from spinning (put your finger on it, put a screwdriver between the blades, whatever you can do to stop it from spinning), if the noise stops good chance it is the fan that you just stopped.

serious call to dell:

Me: I need a new processor fan, it is making noise.

Dell: How do you know you need a new processor fan?

Me: I stopped the fan from spinning and the noise went away, when it started spinning again the noise came back.

Dell: We are shipping you a new fan.

Took longer to get my address to send it to than it took to troubleshoot the issue.

^To simple!!! Great!

The fan on the Zalman should be on the ram side, that way it blows air towards the rear of your case and your case fan then expels said air.

It would look something like this:

ItLives2.jpg

Awesome! Thanks, looks like my case!!!