[OSx86] My successful hackintosh install

My compaq laptop died a while ago due to a video card fail. Since I'm studying graphics design I figured it was worthwhile buying the components to make my own mac so that I can use the OS that the industry uses. This is what I bought:-

post-18827-1248217333.png

Edit:- The CPU is actually an E7600

It cost me just over $AU1,000, which is pretty good going for Australia.

To get me started I used weaksauce's guide, which is the best hackintosh install guide on the net bar none. You can find it here.

I started by first downloading all programs in the guide and burning them to disc, then printing each page of the guide so I could read through it as I was going.

When installing, the only change I had to make to weaksauce's guide was in the BIOS where my SATA mode would only work on "Enhanced" - weaksauce recommended setting it to auto.

Once I got to the mac desktop I ran all software updates. I downloaded Mac OSX 10.5.7 update before I started the project and burnt it to DVD so it would be a quicker install. There were a few restarts involved until all the software was up-to-date.

Once that was done I ran the driver install program that weaksauce created, followed by another restart. Because I had a 1GB 9800GT it wasn't supported by weaksauce's program, so I just followed the guide to install the driver found here.

After another restart I opened up weaksauce's magic boot disk and ran the "about this mac modifier" program. It let my type in the correct name of my CPU and RAM so that it would look nice whenever I click on "about this mac".

Once that was done I was off and running! No more updates needed everything runs as if it was a genuine mac computer! It works super fast and I couldn't be happier!

The good news is that if you want to build a hackintosh but don't know where to start, weaksauce has a few other guides on his site, as well as system recipes for computer configurations that work well.

Here's a screenie of my system up and running:-

post-18827-1248217399_thumb.png

My compaq laptop died a while ago due to a video card fail. Since I'm studying graphics design I figured it was worthwhile buying the components to make my own mac so that I can use the OS that the industry uses. This is what I bought:-

post-18827-1248217333.png

Edit:- The CPU is actually an E7600

It cost me just over $AU1,000, which is pretty good going for Australia.

To get me started I used weaksauce's guide, which is the best hackintosh install guide on the net bar none. You can find it here.

I started by first downloading all programs in the guide and burning them to disc, then printing each page of the guide so I could read through it as I was going.

When installing, the only change I had to make to weaksauce's guide was in the BIOS where my SATA mode would only work on "Enhanced" - weaksauce recommended setting it to auto.

Once I got to the mac desktop I ran all software updates. I downloaded Mac OSX 10.5.7 update before I started the project and burnt it to DVD so it would be a quicker install. There were a few restarts involved until all the software was up-to-date.

Once that was done I ran the driver install program that weaksauce created, followed by another restart. Because I had a 1GB 9800GT it wasn't supported by weaksauce's program, so I just followed the guide to install the driver found here.

After another restart I opened up weaksauce's magic boot disk and ran the "about this mac modifier" program. It let my type in the correct name of my CPU and RAM so that it would look nice whenever I click on "about this mac".

Once that was done I was off and running! No more updates needed everything runs as if it was a genuine mac computer! It works super fast and I couldn't be happier!

The good news is that if you want to build a hackintosh but don't know where to start, weaksauce has a few other guides on his site, as well as system recipes for computer configurations that work well.

Here's a screenie of my system up and running:-

post-18827-1248217399_thumb.png

so is it worth it? i mean what does and does not work? with my specs i could install apple on my pc too.

so is it worth it? i mean what does and does not work? with my specs i could install apple on my pc too.

Everything hardware-wise works. Everything I need software-wise works too. Just like running a normal mac. Of course, I'll be able to get a better guage once I've been using it for a while. The one thing they warn is to disable automatic updates because it is possible that they kill certain things until workarounds are developed. But so far so good.

Why you need Adobe Acrobat in a Mac? OS X by default is built in Portable Document Format.

Umm...this is about building a hackintosh, not a critique of what programs I do and don't install!!

This is very handy to know - seeing as my hardware is all setup now - and just waiting to go buy OSX :)

Do you dual boot at all?

Congrats on the build :)

Hey mate where did you buy all that from? Gamedude?

Got everything but the burner and the case from MSY at Morningside. Got those two things from Umart at Milton.

This is very handy to know - seeing as my hardware is all setup now - and just waiting to go buy OSX :)

Do you dual boot at all?

Congrats on the build :)

I haven't installed my PC's HDD so I can dual boot with Windows 7. I might do that down the track though. Note that you can't use bootcamp with a hackintosh; it's something to do with EFI.

Yeah knew about bootcamp. So I could partition my drive - do the OSX install on one partition, get it all working...

Then install 7 to the second partition?

Yeah knew about bootcamp. So I could partition my drive - do the OSX install on one partition, get it all working...

Then install 7 to the second partition?

Install Windows 7 first, then OS X Leopard, then add a chain to your MBR. I don't think Bootcamp works on standard PCs, although I could be wrong.

I wish Apple could release Leopard to the PC, I really want to buy OS X Leopard and would totally use it.

nice one mate! im using 90% of the same parts and should have my setup up within the next few days! i was lookin @ 9800GT also.

id have to dual boot to be able to sync and flash custom roms to my winmo ppc. thats the only downfall. i also own a 9800gt, i wonder if it would work ok or not? also as far as printers would hp be supported? i hate insanleymac, they never answer your questions!

lol it seems everytime some mentions insanleymac, it follows by "they never answer your questions!". is it really that bad over there!

I like that wallpaper. Mine sharing? :p

Nice configuration. Just bought myself a MacBook Pro, and I love OSX.

That wallpaper is one of the default ones that come with OSX leopard. If you don't have it already on your Pro then send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you. I don't want to post it publicly because it's not mine to distribute.

id have to dual boot to be able to sync and flash custom roms to my winmo ppc. thats the only downfall. i also own a 9800gt, i wonder if it would work ok or not? also as far as printers would hp be supported? i hate insanleymac, they never answer your questions!

Pretty much all printers work out of the box. Just plug and play. Your 9800GT will work once you install the driver I put in my initial post. Not sure, but could you use a program like Parallels to do what you need? That way you'd be running windows in a virtual machine.

I've had a really good experience with insanelymac. But I did do a lot of research first, then posted my rig and asked for opinions. The buyers recommendations forum is really good.

Any smart person knows they should never goto Gamedude.

Nice PC mate, where'd you get the OSX from?

I thought it sounded a bit rich for $1k though, shouldn't it have been a bit cheaper?

I want to build a hackintosh using the new ION chipset, but I don't know if they have it working on that yet. Hopefully it will by the time I have the money for it.

i have 8gb ram installed, will mac recognize and use it?

I think you have to install OSX with 4GB RAM installed and once you're up and running plug in the remaining 4GB. It should work fine then.

Any smart person knows they should never goto Gamedude.

Nice PC mate, where'd you get the OSX from?

I thought it sounded a bit rich for $1k though, shouldn't it have been a bit cheaper?

I got OSX through the Apple store together with an Apple keyboard. Weaksauce's guide uses the retail disc, and while it did cost me $158 I'm glad I bought it.

I think I got a good deal. Taking into account there's a new monitor, case, OSX and an Apple Keyboard.

@Raa

Where else is good and cheap to buy PC parts in Brisbane besides Gamedude? I know they have a rep for having a terrible returns and repairs policy, but their prices are pretty cheap.

Point me in the right direction lol

@Raa

Where else is good and cheap to buy PC parts in Brisbane besides Gamedude? I know they have a rep for having a terrible returns and repairs policy, but their prices are pretty cheap.

Point me in the right direction lol

I know that was @Raa, but I always compare prices between MSY, gamedude, umart and PC Shopper.

lol it seems everytime some mentions insanleymac, it follows by "they never answer your questions!". is it really that bad over there!

Believe it or not, there ARE people who are willing to help. You just have to find the right people ;)

I actually got Mac OS X to work on my Acer Aspire 6920G, although with a few things not working (Wireless, which is being developed here). The sound also didn't work, so with a little help I managed to mod the apple drivers to work with my soundcard, although it took a LOT of research and time to get it working. I'm not currently using Mac OS X but once the wifi drivers are built I'll be sure to use it more often.