[Spoilers] Lost - Season 6

Gawd, the alt universe in which they ended up at the church is the life they would have rather led.. Kate was a wanted fugitive in the States as just one example. THAT was their afterlife, after dealing with what they did on the Island, and who's to say that wasn't a test at all (which I think it was) and the two universes only came together with closure on the part of the participant. Hense the "seemingly escape" of Miles, Kate, Claire, Sawyer etc on the plane, because that for them was what they wanted and brought closure.

... the two universes only came together with closure on the part of the participant. Hense the "seemingly escape" of Miles, Kate, Claire, Sawyer etc on the plane, because that for them was what they wanted and brought closure.

I think that wins the thread. :p

[Thread Closed]

:shifty:

You know, many fans are glorifying the story. Not sure if the writers meant all these theories.

I guess writers now depend on viewers to make interpretations that make shows far more interesting or meaningful than they were originally conceived.

You know, many fans are glorifying the story. Not sure if the writers meant all these theories.

I guess writers now depend on viewers to make interpretations that make shows far more interesting or meaningful than they were originally conceived.

I am still right though.. ;)

I mean why they are able to do it in spite of Jacob's "rule" that nobody can leave. Unless of course, Jacob never actually had that power to enforce such a rule?

Thought: Jacob and his helpers needed a way to get to and from the island. So he opened a secret passage way. The Dharma Initiative stumbled across it.

You're mistaking something. The end of the show is Jack saving the island. The FSW is how they told the story of what came after.

Uh, what am I mistaken about? Did I say that Jack didn't save the island? Yes, the FSW is "after". It happens when everyone is dead and ends up in purgatory, which FSW is.

Yes, it happens later timewise, but that doesn't mean its the ending of the narrative. Lost was about the characters and the island and being lost in their lives. That ended on the island.

What do you mean "not the ending of the narrative"? The show ends with Jack dying on the island. If Lost was about the characters why didn't we see what happened to all the other characters?

Also, the purgatory could well be just what happens in Jack's head as he dies.

I liked the ending, yea there are a bunch of questions left open

But of all the questions which ones actually have a bearing on the story, almost none

Who built the statue doesn't matter, just filler

Happened to survivors after they flew over Jack while he was dying, doesn't matter as that's after the island, and after the problems with MIB were over

Same with a bunch of other stuff

LOST was about the characters in relation to the island, even the forwards were in relation to the island and jack trying to go back, heck even the Jack/Kate marriage fight was in relation to the island

This comment on DarkUFO seems to be rather spot-on:

"Stuff happened. It makes the whole series just a collection of adventures that, in the midst of it, seemed like it was leading to a fascinating cohesive underlying conflict, but ultimately, were just a collection of adventures."

It's frustrating that the show seemed to lead us to believe that there was a cohesive whole, but instead it was just a random collection of adventures that had little to do with the purgatory ending.

With better writers, they could have managed to pull everything together and form a more complete and cohesive conclusion. As it is, Lost ended with a cheap cop-out which predictably avoided all the loose ends they left lying around.

wow this thread has like 10 new pages since I was last online...do I want to read back...no not really :rofl:

doesn't matter, just filler

Yeah, this describes just about the entire show. They could have done the show as a 1.5 hour move instead of a TV show spanning over six years.

a bunch of other stuff

Yet another excellent description. Just a bunch of stuff and other stuff. No cohesive whole. The ending was for some other show, not Lost.

LOST was about the characters in relation to the island, even the forwards were in relation to the island and jack trying to go back, heck even the Jack/Kate marriage fight was in relation to the island

And yet they ignore both the characters and the island, and write a crappy cop-out of an ending... Did they need to send the characters to an island guarded by a being with supernatural powers to see what happens after they die? No.

As it is, Lost ended with a cheap cop-out which predictably avoided all the loose ends they left lying around.

You'll be thinking the same on your death bed, trying to piece it all together, but you'll still die, your story will still end and life will go on for everybody else.

I liked the ending, yea there are a bunch of questions left open

But of all the questions which ones actually have a bearing on the story, almost none

Who built the statue doesn't matter, just filler

Happened to survivors after they flew over Jack while he was dying, doesn't matter as that's after the island, and after the problems with MIB were over

Same with a bunch of other stuff

+1

And tbh given a choice of either seeing them all meet up in purgatory while reuniting some old faces, against seeing what happened to the ppl after the island, id rather see purgatory. ( you wouldve needed an extra hour at least to do both)

As for purgatory making the whole island story pointless, if it werent for the island they wouldnt have been in purgatory, they wouldnt have had to wait for each other,

Lost was about a group of random ppl thrown together trying to survive an island and in the end try to protect it, they lived and died together, so kinda makes sense they pass through to the other side together.

Also The Lamp Post, was used to find concentrated pockets of EM, which allowed them to discover the island, and then enhance the detection equipment to pinpoint the island at a certain time. They only found the island after the lamp post was built, or thats what iv been led to believe anyway

I watched the first 4 seasons of Lost as they aired and marathon the last 2 last week. IMO, the finale was done well, but the series overall could have been better.

The flash-sideways were always kind of boring and predictable(this could be said of many of the flashbacks/forwards/sideways which were trying to add depth to characters we had already known for several seasons). Although the twist was executed perfectly, it doesn’t make up for half a season of wasted time in a series that was winding down.

And this was a running theme throughout some of the episodes, 35 minutes of filler, followed by 5 minutes of action. It’s like they were trying to redeem the episode in the last scene. IMO, that’s bad story telling.

Also, the real meat of the show, the Man in Black vs. Jacob, didn’t begin until the 6th season. This didn’t need to be a 6 season series, but it was anyway.

On the subject of mysteries, they failed to deliver. They usually resorted to blaming a lot of things on magnetism or mysticism, which worked well in some cases (Hurly and Miles’s power, Swan station) and not in others (origin of the smoke monster, how they traveled through time). Some things they failed to deliver on all together (the statue, Walt’s powers, Man in Black’s name, the numbers, the origin, ect).

However, I think the final scene with

Jack and Vincent was heartwarming and concluded things nicely

how was it not a cohesive whole, I understood it.

If you need an answer on who built the statue, it was the people that the MIB went to live with. There is the answer, now what did the question of who built it clarify for you or add to the story,,, nothing, it was just a statue that ruperts ship ran into during a titalwave

Yeah, this describes just about the entire show. They could have done the show as a 1.5 hour move instead of a TV show spanning over six years.

Yet another excellent description. Just a bunch of stuff and other stuff. No cohesive whole. The ending was for some other show, not Lost.

And yet they ignore both the characters and the island, and write a crappy cop-out of an ending... Did they need to send the characters to an island guarded by a being with supernatural powers to see what happens after they die? No.

The overall Lost finale numbers for 9-11:30pm were a 5.8 adults 18-49 rating and 13.5 million average viewers. (Update: the 11-11:30 half hour just added to the table below) Those were the best numbers for a Lost finale since 2007. The Lost ? Final Journey clip show averaged a 4.0 adults 18-49 rating from 7-9pm.

post-15395-12747379563057.png

I find it funny that from 930-10 not as many people were watching it, then came back @ 10 to watch rest of it

So no explanation on the status. The island healing powers. The hurley bird. The numbers.

...I mean it was great and all, I enjoyed it and got emotional over the characters but theres no excuse not to answer fundemental mysteries like the numbers.

Nobody died on 815. Everything on the island is real, everything happened. Here is the best summary I found over at DarkUFO.

Thank you for that Peewee, it summed up what was swirling around in my mind and bought some cohesion to it. I see it now.

Fantastic.

haha, I like how all of these big overarching shows nowadays have to jump to mysticism and spritiual ideas to cover up the massive plot holes and unexplainable ideas they have created over the years. "God/A wizard did it"

Battlestar Galactica was the same, Ashes to ashes was the same (tho that made sense) Quantum leap was the same back in the day.

That's not to say I didn't like these shows, it's just I think it's lazy story telling.

So was the X-files

So no explanation on the status. The island healing powers. The hurley bird. The numbers.

...I mean it was great and all, I enjoyed it and got emotional over the characters but theres no excuse not to answer fundemental mysteries like the numbers.

Apart from the healing powers, those were minor. The numbers were explained in the 'Lost Experience'

Thank you for that Peewee, it summed up what was swirling around in my mind and bought some cohesion to it. I see it now.

Fantastic.

You're welcome :)

So was the X-files

+1

Way too many of these shows got ruined by not ending in time and dragging the story for too long with any means necessary.