[Spoilers] Lost - Season 6

@red., but what was that important thing? Did we ever learn what that was?

Well, when Miles 'talked' with her, he told Sawyer that he last thoughts were that "it worked". Whilst we probably can't be 100% sure i think it was to do with changing the past which is what they were trying to do.

I think she may have seen flashes of the other timeline.

yep, the statue is where Jacob lived this whole time. that is that.

would finding out who built the statue or what the statue is carved after make the story any better?

This is what sucks about Lost. The statue is an important part of the show, and yet it is left as a huge mystery.

but we did find out what the statue is. It's where jacob lived

This is what sucks about Lost. The statue is an important part of the show, and yet it is left as a huge mystery.

how is it really that important? I get you dont get me wrong I stopped really caring for thee show this season because of the lack of answers to the questions I would like answered but yeah its not the overall mystery as I said the book being released in the summer will probably have many answers to questions just like this.

TBH it probably was put there by Egyptians who accidentally found the island like everyone else. But the statue has nothing to do with the mythology of the show. And like a vicious cycle these Egyptians were probably murdered by the so called "inhabitants" of the island and so on and so forth.

As I've stated in a previous thread, the show becomes more easy and enjoyable to watch when you finally accept that Lost has its own deep mythology that's not directly linked to other mythology. Just accept it for what it is and stop thinking biblicly or mythicly.

either way the end of the show will be the end in terms of the series but for answers alot will be not answers and people will be disappointed :)

either way the end of the show will be the end in terms of the series but for answers alot will be not answers and people will be disappointed :)

I honestly think a lot of people are disappointed because they've invested so much time and conversation about theorizing things about the show that actually has nothing to do with the show.

DL and CC know that. They know that people think of Jacob and Esau. They know that people think the timelines will converge. They know that people think that Smokie is part of Egyptian mythology. And in the end, just like every other season, the most popular guesses and theories have nothing to do with what the show is about.

But on the other end, the theories and guesses and post-show interaction with friends is what makes this show so fun and great.

TBH it probably was put there by Egyptians who accidentally found the island like everyone else. But the statue has nothing to do with the mythology of the show. And like a vicious cycle these Egyptians were probably murdered by the so called "inhabitants" of the island and so on and so forth.

As I've stated in a previous thread, the show becomes more easy and enjoyable to watch when you finally accept that Lost has its own deep mythology that's not directly linked to other mythology. Just accept it for what it is and stop thinking biblicly or mythicly.

Actually the statue had a bit more significance, as it was the statue of Taweret, the Egyptian goddess of birth, rebirth and the northern sky. There have been issues with women getting impregnated and delivering on the island, something Ben was so adamant about solving (the why has never been addressed :angry:). There was also the specific mention of rebirth being in the light in this week's episode. So while the writers may have discounted the statue at this point in the game (as it's the very end), we were lead to believe that this, among many other mythological items, had greater significance than a few seconds of inclusion.

I honestly think a lot of people are disappointed because they've invested so much time and conversation about theorizing things about the show that actually has nothing to do with the show.

DL and CC know that. They know that people think of Jacob and Esau. They know that people think the timelines will converge. They know that people think that Smokie is part of Egyptian mythology. And in the end, just like every other season, the most popular guesses and theories have nothing to do with what the show is about.

But on the other end, the theories and guesses and post-show interaction with friends is what makes this show so fun and great.

Well the show is a thinking mans show it creates stuff so that you think about I mean look at members on here always throwing theories out there that can be crazy and can be right. They are clever to a point where stuff that wont be answered will be left to your imagination.

would finding out who built the statue or what the statue is carved after make the story any better?

Yes. It would give us a better understanding of the mythology of the show, thus adding to the overall enjoyment.

but we did find out what the statue is. It's where jacob lived

So did he just live there randomly? Was the location significant? Why did he live there?

Actually the statue had a bit more significance, as it was the statue of Taweret, the Egyptian goddess of birth, rebirth and the northern sky. There have been issues with women getting impregnated and delivering on the island, something Ben was so adamant about solving (the why has never been addressed :angry:). There was also the specific mention of rebirth being in the light in this week's episode. So while the writers may have discounted the statue at this point in the game (as it's the very end), we were lead to believe that this, among many other mythological items, had greater significance than a few seconds of inclusion.

I apologize for singling your post out, but this is a perfect example of what I posted before.

The statue isn't Taweret. That's just what people guessed. And the statue has nothing to do with the pregnant women of the show.

These are just all parts of the show that us the viewer MAKE part of the show. But it has nothing to do with the show itself.

I apologize for singling your post out, but this is a perfect example of what I posted before.

The statue isn't Taweret. That's just what people guessed. And the statue has nothing to do with the pregnant women of the show.

These are just all parts of the show that us the viewer MAKE part of the show. But it has nothing to do with the show itself.

The statue was confirmed by ABC in the episode recap of "The Incident, Part 1" to depict Taweret, and has since been confirmed again by the solution to a puzzle in the May 2009 issue of Wired magazine, which was edited by Lost co-creator J.J. Abrams.

* The identity of the figure portrayed by the statue was specified in an Enhanced episode:

?The giant statue is a variation of Tawaret

the Egyptian godess

of protection, birth and fertility.

so yes its Tawaret

So did he just live there randomly? Was the location significant? Why did he live there?

Because it was a place to live because all of the other villages were burned to the ground because that seems to be the cycle? Just a guess

Well the show is a thinking mans show it creates stuff so that you think about I mean look at members on here always throwing theories out there that can be crazy and can be right. They are clever to a point where stuff that wont be answered will be left to your imagination.

lazy ass writers.

The statue was confirmed by ABC in the episode recap of "The Incident, Part 1" to depict Taweret, and has since been confirmed again by the solution to a puzzle in the May 2009 issue of Wired magazine, which was edited by Lost co-creator J.J. Abrams.

* The identity of the figure portrayed by the statue was specified in an Enhanced episode:

“The giant statue is a variation of Tawaret

the Egyptian godess

of protection, birth and fertility.

so yes its Tawaret

Very interesting...I never watch the enhanced versions though.

I still say the identity of the statue has nothing to do with the show until they make it part of the show in these last 2 episodes, which I highly doubt.

Also, I've been a strong proponent to "they make it up as they go along." People seem to think that TV writers write scripts or plotlines 6 years in advance

Seriously though, if more people just let all of their theories go and stop thinking there was this overall scheme since season one, the show is so much more enjoyable.

Very interesting...I never watch the enhanced versions though.

I still say the identity of the statue has nothing to do with the show until they make it part of the show in these last 2 episodes, which I highly doubt.

yeah course its just there from a previous civilization who left or died off on the island, wasn't the woman who took jacob/unknown man over...she was already there? so she could be part of the people who built it.

I think the story got too big and convoluted for DL and CC to dig their way out of they introduced so many things in series 2 and 3 not knowing how long the show was going to run for theres no way they can possibly answer everything, what i dont agree with is their attitude on what they think that we should want to know, it should be the other way round, we should be able to tell them what we want to see and understand. I hate people with big egos.

Jedi, His name isn't Esau. CC and DL have confirmed that.

Did they? When?

Not saying you are lying, but nobody else seem to mention this though.

You do realize I post this exact thing in many other forums, but you are the first one to say CC and DL confirmed it's not Esau. :unsure:

Did they? When?

Not saying you are lying, but nobody else seem to mention this though.

You do realize I post this exact thing in many other forums, but you are the first one to say CC and DL confirmed it's not Esau. :unsure:

episode posted a link two pages back: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/exclusive-interview-lost-producers-damon-lindelof-and-carlton-cuse-talk-across-the-sea

Here's the snippet:

How much attention have you paid to the reaction to last night's episode?

Carlton Cuse: Some degree. We get a little bit of general feedback. We try not to obsess about the boards and all that stuff. So we have some sense.

Damon Lindelof: It's never exactly the reaction you're expecting. We knew it would be an episode that would be divisive. We've been talking since the beginning of the season about the idea that the great thing of doing a show on your own terms is you have no excuses, but it's also slightly terrifying that if you're a mystery show, there will inevitably be episodes that answer mysteries. That has the potential to frighten, terrify, make people hate. This was going to be the season where we said, "Whatever your theory was, our presentation of the endgame of the show may disprove your theory, so we're sorry if you don't like the fact that you don't get the Man in Black's name, but you don't get it." So that's going to **** some people off, and it's their right to be ****ed off. In terms of what the specific reactions are, it's too hard to say 12 hours after the fact, and without seeing where this episode plays in the grand scheme of the series. That's all we can say.

I still think MiB is Jacob's brother. He has mentioned in the past that Jacob stole his body and that his mother was crazy.

Although when he said his mother was crazy, he was in Locke's body so he could have been talking about Locke's mother. Was she crazy? I can hardly remember.

Or maybe when the Smokey took over somebody soul their memory retains with Smokey no matter what it changes into..?

In that case, when it's in Locke form, it also seem know memories of Jacob's bro or Yemi, Christian, etc...

I really don't see how that was a direct disprove it was not Esau, at all.

IF they said directly "No, it's NOT Esau" then yeah ... but that's not what they said, period.

I still think the leak on Youtube is something very interesting, and probably IS TRUE!

What was kind of disappointing, BTW, is that Jacob came across as a semi-retarded, naive moron...

he comes across as a naive dumbass. Dim-witted. Easily fooled.

LOL :laugh:

Hey, let's talk where is that light cave now?

Is Temple now where that place is? Or Swan(Although I doubt it) Or, how come nobody else had found it?

I think whenever someone got close, Smokey chase or killed them.

I really don't see how that was a direct disprove it was not Esau, at all.

IF they said directly "No, it's NOT Esau" then yeah ... but that's not what they said, period.

I still think the leak on Youtube is something very interesting, and probably IS TRUE!

It's far more likely it was a mistake than it was a teaser. They've had ample time to reveal the man in black's name. Besides, the story of Jacob and Esau is that Esau was born first, was favored by his father Isaac, Jacob born last, favored by his mother Rebekah. As the first born, Esau was supposed to have received a greater inheritance, but by his mother's instruction, Jacob stole it. In the show, Jacob was born first and the man in black was favored by the crazy mother. Chalk it up to a stupid mistake, not an off the wall revelation via a means that most of the show's followers wouldn't have seen.

If they wanted to reveal the name or wanted us to know what the name was, they would have done it in the show.

So, I don't remember... What did she say to Sawyer before she died?

Before she died told sawyer "I have to tell you something"

After she died, Miles found out she said "It worked"

Mathachew,

I am NOT going to argue, I am only going to tell you my experience.

My experience, as far as I am concerned. When in the past, everything was on official channels there were NO mistakes. It's always true.

*sigh* Not going to debate anymore on this, there is no point, we'll see though.

They didn't reveal the name in the Across The Sea maybe because they didn't want it to be revealed. Like they also never revealed the statue is called "Taweret" on the show, either.

So Lost sucks because you choose to dwell on the meaning behind a statue with mildly symbolic value? ...

i see.

It's far more likely it was a mistake than it was a teaser. They've had ample time to reveal the man in black's name. Besides, the story of Jacob and Esau is that Esau was born first, was favored by his father Isaac, Jacob born last, favored by his mother Rebekah. As the first born, Esau was supposed to have received a greater inheritance, but by his mother's instruction, Jacob stole it. In the show, Jacob was born first and the man in black was favored by the crazy mother. Chalk it up to a stupid mistake, not an off the wall revelation via a means that most of the show's followers wouldn't have seen.

If they wanted to reveal the name or wanted us to know what the name was, they would have done it in the show.

yeah they would of done, if I remember when we first saw him on the beach we all called him Esau because of the mythology from the bible but I don't we will ever know him as anything else but Smokey