ram issues in 64 bit

just wondering if anyone has come to a solution to why the full 4 gb of ram will not show in win 7 64 bit?

it worked just fine in the RC version but after upgrading to the RTM system properties only show 3.25 usable i dont know why, never had this problem b4.

any suggestions?

thank you

what are your computer specs , i think it reserves some ram if you have an intergraded graphics card.

The only thing important is posting your chipset. I don't think Intel chipsets before the P35 or something like that (I could be a generation or two off in my memory) can't actually address over the 32bit limit so you won't get the full 4GB no matter what you do (short of buying a newer board).

The other problem could be you have "memory remapping" turned off in the BIOS. That feature has to be on for you to address RAM amounts larger than the 32bit limit of 4GB.

what are your computer specs , i think it reserves some ram if you have an intergraded graphics card.

i have an dell xps m1710 laptop, my gpu is an nvidia 7950 gtx, i've never had this problem in xp or vista both showed full 4gb

the chipset i have is the P45, i did a same install on a newer laptop with the same chipset and it showed the full 4gb

i've checked the bios and there is no option for memory remapping, i dont know what else the problem can be i've tried multiple clean installs and still nothing

This is why you should not get illegal versions off the net.Microsoft has even stated that some of the versions arent the versions that they state they are.

This is why you should not get illegal versions off the net.Microsoft has even stated that some of the versions arent the versions that they state they are.

this is the RTM version gotten from a reliable source which i have installed on 3 other laptops and have not had an issue, since all the other laptops are showing a full 4gb

DELL XPS m1710 uses Intel 945PM chipset.

Intel 945PM's Memory Mapping capability is 4GB like x86. Which leaves you about 3GB for RAM.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=280&type=expert

http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chi...PM-overview.htm

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_945PM

What do 'leak builds' matter in this Memory Mapping thing?

The RTM builds (X86 and X64 of 16385) leaked are actually the official builds, they have the correct build tag

They say they are the right build tag but Microsoft themselves stated that slot of them are other builds with the numbers hacked to say the right ones. Plus do u trust that nothing else has been changed to do bad things to ur machine?

They say they are the right build tag but Microsoft themselves stated that slot of them are other builds with the numbers hacked to say the right ones. Plus do u trust that nothing else has been changed to do bad things to ur machine?

Do you want Microsoft to approve this, "Yeah, those builds that have been leaked are real"?

Even though they can hack build numbers, they can't hack "Digital Signature".

:rolleyes: This issue has absolutely nothing to do with pirated software. It even occurs in legit beta and RC copies.

DELL XPS m1710 uses Intel 945PM chipset.

Intel 945PM's Memory Mapping capability is 4GB like x86. Which leaves you about 3GB for RAM.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=280&type=expert

http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chi...PM-overview.htm

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_945PM

What do 'leak builds' matter in this Memory Mapping thing?

i understand this, i forgot to mention i have the 7600G which is the overclockable processor, but still does not make sense, in the RC version of windows 7, i had no issues with the ram as it was showing the full 4gb and other laptops using this same version are showing 4gb. Also, as said before im only having this issue in Win 7, xp 64 and vista 64 never any issues with ram

thank you everyone for your replies

What are those other laptops? I think those laptops have different chipsets, apart from 945PM.

Also just Windows 7 RC tells you 4GB that doesn't always mean 4GB usable. You need to look at Task Manager's Performance tab, and see if it shows Physical Memory in Total = 409x.

And I don't quite understand about 7600G. If I've not missed a thing here, there's no such processor.

What are those other laptops? I think those laptops have different chipsets, apart from 945PM.

Also just Windows 7 RC tells you 4GB that doesn't always mean 4GB usable. You need to look at Task Manager's Performance tab, and see if it shows Physical Memory in Total = 409x.

And I don't quite understand about 7600G. If I've not missed a thing here, there's no such processor.

the other laptop was an xps m1730 with the same p45 chipset, and another one 1 was a sager dont know which chipset

looked at task manager and it showed the full

the T7600G was the highest processor available for the m1710 which can be overclocked to 3.17

the other laptop was an xps m1730 with the same p45 chipset, and another one 1 was a sager dont know which chipset

looked at task manager and it showed the full

the T7600G was the highest processor available for the m1710 which can be overclocked to 3.17

Do us all a favor... Run CPU-Z and paste a screenshot of the "Mainboard" tab...

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152.zip

Reason I'm asking is because the P45 is a desktop chipset not a laptop chipset. The laptop chipset is a PM45 (Dedicated Graphics) or GM45 (Integrated Graphics) as shown in my CPU-Z screenshot below.

You saying you have the P45 chipset makes me think you're guessing what chipset you have and you're not actually sure...

post-16763-1248411196.png

Do us all a favor... Run CPU-Z and paste a screenshot of the "Mainboard" tab...

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152.zip

Reason I'm asking is because the P45 is a desktop chipset not a laptop chipset. The laptop chipset is a PM45 (Dedicated Graphics) or GM45 (Integrated Graphics) as shown in my CPU-Z screenshot below.

You saying you have the P45 chipset makes me think you're guessing what chipset you have and you're not actually sure...

ok, sorry you are right about the chipset it is the pm45

post-242040-1248418807_thumb.png

Edited by infamous84

ok, sorry you are right about the chipset it is the pm45

post-242040-1248418807_thumb.png

No, the chipset in that screenshot is NOT the PM45 it is the i945PM they are not the same (That chipset is two generations older than the PM45)... With that said, you can't use all the 4GB of RAM because your chipset can't address all 4GB of it. It isn't a Windows limitation it is a limitation of your chipset.

this is the RTM version gotten from a reliable source which i have installed on 3 other laptops and have not had an issue, since all the other laptops are showing a full 4gb

Well, you have answered your own question right there!

If your other laptops are showing the correct amount of ram, and it's only one that's mis-reporting, then it's not the OS that's at fault.

I had this same problem recently and it was the chipset on my motherboard, I've got a new motherboard and Windows is now using the full 4 gig of ram

HUH? on x64 users see 3.25GB??? what the? This is very very odd thing I've ever read! hope this is not true!

it is hardware limitation of the chipset

OS has nothing to do with it

HUH? on x64 users see 3.25GB??? what the? This is very very odd thing I've ever read! hope this is not true!

It has to do with the BIOS I believe.

BIOS code is the oldest part of any current computer. I can't wait til it's finally ditched.

Even though that might as well be never happening, since the replacement is available and nobody is using it. (Aside from Apple, who I couldn't care less about.)