Windows says my CPU is 2.6 after 4ghz Overclock

Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

Windows 7

etc

I followed the Gigabyte guide to get a stable 4ghz overclock (awaiting stress results to see if it's ok)

BIOS and EasyTune6 both say 4ghz but windows says it's at 2.6 (Computer > Properties)

I re-ran the score thing and it went from 7.4 to 7.7 (and the RAM from 7.4 to 7.8)

Is this because Windows gets my CPU information online (or something) as opposed to the actual current CPU speed? :s

Thanks,

-Rich-

Windows shows the information the CPU provides to it, not the actual speed it's running at. Use a program like CPU-Z to find out the actual speed and other detailed information.

Windows says Q9550 2.8GHz @ 3.50GHz for me, so it does show the speed too. It does sometimes report it incorrectly when I boot up though. :s

All of you have forgotten that the real reason this has happened (this also applies to you James) is that people have 'Speedstep' enabled along with CE1 which reduces the CPU speed when it's idle so it saves energy.

Windows system properties isn't reliable for viewing CPU speed. It reports two speeds, one of which is the 2.67GHz figure hardcoded into the CPU's name string and the other which is supposed to be actual CPU speed. However, my CPU is running at 4GHz and this is verified by checking Everest, CPU-Z and pretty much every other application.

It's possible that SpeedStep is affecting Windows' ability to pick up the speed properly, but in reality, just ignore it. Verify the speed with CPU-Z or some other application instead.

All of you have forgotten that the real reason this has happened (this also applies to you James) is that people have 'Speedstep' enabled along with CE1 which reduces the CPU speed when it's idle so it saves energy.

I thought that was the case. I mean it detects my 3.6GHz Overclock as 3.4GHz and sometimes 3.5GHz; all depends on how it is feeling.

That is the way the CPUID on Intel CPU's work, the rated speed of the CPU is shown in its model number, just a nuance of the way Intel name their chips. It should also display your real clock speed

post-286512-1249505897_thumb.png

Windows 7 shows my OC as 3.4 GHz when infact it's 3.7 GHz on a Q9550, I think the odd FSB I use to achieve the 3.7 GHz Windows doesn't like.

So, it reverts back to a FSB that makes sense, 400*8.5=3.4GHz instead of using my 436*8.5=3.7GHz.

Makes sense? Of course.

Windows says Q9550 2.8GHz @ 3.50GHz for me, so it does show the speed too. It does sometimes report it incorrectly when I boot up though. :s

That's only accurate at certain bus speeds.

My Q6600 at 333MHz FSB for example shows the correct speed (so 333x9 is shown as 3ghz) but if I OC more, say 400x8 then it thinks it's 3.7GHz when in fact it is 3.2GHz.

Any ideas about my RAM?

-Rich-

That's normal. See, 1600MHz DDR RAM actually operates at 800MHz. Because there's input and output at the same time, they double the figure.

It's like saying a two lane highway (one lane each direction) with a speed limit of 55 MPH each way, has a speed of 110 MPH... even though traffic only goes 55 each way.