[Official] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Went to Toys R US this morning and picked up 2 copies (extra one for my gf) and got $50 back in gift cards cause they messed something up and the guy said oh well. Now I just have to sit through the rest of the work day before I can play..

the trophies dont really bother me, the weaksauce sound mix is a is a big problem though, maybe i am just spoiled by uncharted2 and its great audio but mw2 doesnt even use the centre channel for voices making it hard to hear what people are saying.

Man I thought it was just my imagination. No wonder the subtitles are on by default. And to think, part of the reason I got my new surround sound system was to enjoy this game more. :no:

Well, I just completed the game and, to be honest, I literally have no idea what the storyline is.

Did Makarov exist or was he Shepherd? Why did Shepherd betray us?

If someone could explain it to me in a spoiler, I'd appreciate it :/

I was bit disappointed there wasn't a whole long level dedicated to sniping but I think it was made up for by the amount of sniping you got to do across various levels.

As usual, the part where you play the US soldiers was not as good as when you play the UK soldiers.

My favourite sections so far are:

The oil ring assault - love that slo-mo after a breach!

The docks/sub assault - I think the Predator bits are sooooo cool.

Quite a lot of the game gets lost amongst the frantic action so repeat play-throughs hold a lot of value.

My mini-review can be summed up as

Good

Visceral action which meets and exceeds the standards of COD:MW.

Graphics feel so much sharper.

Introduction of thermal/heat scopes adds a tactical element - incorrect choice of weapon really dents your chances.

Grenades are harder to use.

More brilliant weapons whilst keeping our old favourites.

Bad

Complete lack of sympathy for the characters - the awful voice-acting for some of the characters is really off-putting and the cheesy lines are even worse. It's like the worlds hammiest movie except with more bacon.

The airport level - completely unnecessary level, in my opinion. It's affect on the storyline could've been conjured up many different ways and, in the end, that level adds to my first point - you just don't care enough about the characters. Even Soap and Price are annoying in their maudlin rhetoric.

I want my AC10 mission back, you buggers :angry:

Multiplayer

Lagging like an absolute dead donkey but the perks and changes appear to be amazing.

Conclusion

I don't think it is better than the original MW but neither do I think it is worse. I think IW have taken the storyline as far as they can now. There's not much else they could come up with which would result in a united strikeforce of US/UK soldiers, is there?

I'll be interested to see where they go - perhaps a far future version?

The airport level - completely unnecessary level, in my opinion. It's affect on the storyline could've been conjured up many different ways and, in the end, that level adds to my first point - you just don't care enough about the characters. Even Soap and Price are annoying in their maudlin rhetoric.

Completely agree, know what the only thing that I learnt about terrorists from that level? They can't run, nope, I know you want to but you can't until it's decided you can, there's so many events that I'm finding completely overscripted and just a joke, and the lack of control is infuriating at times, there's been so many moments when I wanted to do something and I can't because it's restricted my movement so I die and have to do it "their way", which you've got to figure out

That being said, I am really enjoying it, when I'm not hitting ^ that

Completely agree, know what the only thing that I learnt about terrorists from that level? They can't run, nope, I know you want to but you can't until it's decided you can, there's so many events that I'm finding completely overscripted and just a joke, and the lack of control is infuriating at times, there's been so many moments when I wanted to do something and I can't because it's restricted my movement so I die and have to do it "their way", which you've got to figure out

That being said, I am really enjoying it, when I'm not hitting ^ that

Yeah, I almost said something in my last post about the scripting. I understand scripts help to drive the story of a level but a lot of the time it seems to be used to mask poor AI also - unlike in Uncharted 2 where bad guys make a concerted effort to maintain their advantage (for instance, snipers try to maintain a distance but shotgunners try to rush you), in COD:MW2, the bad guys follow pretty predictable patterns.

I bought the 360 version from Best Buy for $60, but I got $30 in gift cards with it. :D I PMed the TRU deal and also got the Rewards Zone $10 off. :) Now all I need is to buy an actual 360, but I might wait until Black Friday so I can get a good deal on it.

Also, if anyone needs XBOX Live, you can get the 12 Month XBOX Live from Best Buy for $30.

Just text yourself this:

Best Buy RewardZone Gamer Deal:

Show this msg & Save $20 on XBox Live 12 Month Card. Sku: 9636222 Expires 11/14 Rz Members Only. Limit 1.

and you will get $20 off. :)

Ok the story was so random, didnt make much sense. and quite short, i sware mw1 was longer than 5 hours lol

Installation was a complete utter FAIL, steam servers kept crashing and to install the thing u need them up to accept ur cd key, took me over half an hour for it to accept the key, took a mate of mine a few hours

As for multiplayer its not as bad as i thought, but i defo miss playing 16v16 etc, the maps feel kinda small and u can go a little while without finding anyone since the max players are 9v9, and having to unlock certain game modes is annoying. the match up works alrite at the mo, a few annoyances is that when that when the counter starts to run and u get sum1 leave/join it jumps up 5-10sec, at one point i had to wait another min and ppl kept leavin and joining so the timer kept reseting. The random pops on screen bug me when a team mate does something special

as for iwnet cutting out aimbots and cheats? well since it uses valves anti cheat thing i think not, tbh its a matter of time before they're put out there.

Ok the story was so random, didnt make much sense. and quite short, i sware mw1 was longer than 5 hours lol

Installation was a complete utter FAIL, steam servers kept crashing and to install the thing u need them up to accept ur cd key, took me over half an hour for it to accept the key, took a mate of mine a few hours

As for multiplayer its not as bad as i thought, but i defo miss playing 16v16 etc, the maps feel kinda small and u can go a little while without finding anyone since the max players are 9v9, and having to unlock certain game modes is annoying. the match up works alrite at the mo, a few annoyances is that when that when the counter starts to run and u get sum1 leave/join it jumps up 5-10sec, at one point i had to wait another min and ppl kept leavin and joining so the timer kept reseting. The random pops on screen bug me when a team mate does something special

as for iwnet cutting out aimbots and cheats? well since it uses valves anti cheat thing i think not, tbh its a matter of time before they're put out there.

I completed Modern Warfare 2 in 4 Hours 44 Minutes and 23 seconds ? Is that a record?

Thankfully I didn?t need to check the clocks as the game stores the time for you and accordingly I was informed that I completed the game in 4:44:23 which is not very long for a full priced game.

I wasn?t trying to race through it but merely just playing the single player as it came and enjoying the experience fully.

As for cheating on the PC, it will come. Soon.

Picked up the last PC copy at Asda today. Had a look there, saw they had one left then went to Game at the MetroCentre, thinking the store price would be the same as on their site. Nope, PC version was ?40 and there was a massive queue. Having none of that. Went back to Asda and saw a woman looking at it so I walked to the row of DVDs opposite the PC bit. When she put it down I went and got the box. As I was at the checkout the bloke in front of me was asking if they had any copies of it for the PC. Turns out the woman was with the bloke, and I'd managed to get the last PC copy (they only had 2) by a matter of seconds. Well chuffed.:DD

Enjoying the singleplayer so far. Going to finish that before I go online and try multiplayer. Installed fine through Steam though, no problems at all.:DD

Yeah, I almost said something in my last post about the scripting. I understand scripts help to drive the story of a level but a lot of the time it seems to be used to mask poor AI also - unlike in Uncharted 2 where bad guys make a concerted effort to maintain their advantage (for instance, snipers try to maintain a distance but shotgunners try to rush you), in COD:MW2, the bad guys follow pretty predictable patterns.

Anyone else upset at the lack of Games Explorer support?

Anyway, My thinking is the player is purposely holding back. You want to run... i do to, but you are playing an undercover CIA operative who is assigned to kill innocent civilians.

I can't make up my mind if I should get the PC version, or one of the consoles. I just jumped on the console wagon this year for racing, so I haven't really played FPS on the consoles. I've always been a mouse/keyboard FPS guy. Using the mouse and keyboard is the only way I know how to play, but I would love to play this game on the big screen HI DEF tv. Can you hook a mouse and keyboard to the XBOX or PS3 :)

Anyone else upset at the lack of Games Explorer support?

Anyway, My thinking is the player is purposely holding back. You want to run... i do to, but you are playing an undercover CIA operative who is assigned to kill innocent civilians.

just noticed the lack of support, and i read sumwhere they said they developed it with win7 in mind w/e that means lol

lol that airport scene, was so annoyin not being able to run and only wlk very slowly was never allowed in front of them :(

Said it earlier, but it just annoyed me not being able to run, hell I gunned them all down, but couldn't run to knife someone crawling away, slowly had to stalk him down. It's a game, it's not real life, I don't feel the need to do it in real life, but if I'm stuck in a game with a gun, I'm gonna shoot the ducks.

Shot one of my team once by accident and got gunned down, then in the scripted part by the elevator, I thought I'd wait and just rinse people as they run out, apparently the AI already had that idea standing behind me, ended up taking half a clip in the back from one of my own team and it was as if it hadn't happened.

Edit and to be honest: "don't bother aiming, just pull the left trigger and tap the right to kill enemies" got old fast.

"Hello Karl, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. As requested, we have processed a refund to your account."

I'm sticking to my 360 copy. If I'm going to have to deal with ****ty bullet loss (a MG loses to a SMG in a 1v1 lal?), I might as well spend the money on a night out.

Looks like I'll be buying from Amazon for ?32. Not too bad, I was going to buy it for ?38 from Renchi.

Sainsburys and Morrisons are both doing it for ?26 and will continue doing so for days.

Due to that if you're patient but for some reason unable to go into a store, keep an eye on Sainsburys website, it's bound to come back into stock. There's an "email me when in stock" link as well.

So very initial impressions, but split up about 4 hours today between a bit of SP and a bit of MP.

SP is intense. No other way to put it. Over the top action at it's finest. Story is a moot point in all regards, which honestly makes that whole airport sequence that much more in bad taste. No need for it. To over the top in my opinion, and I am all for 110% in support of free speech, etc. Just really not needed considering the story consists of no more than a mission briefing about what is about to be the most unrealistic action you can possibly experience. Meaning it is completely non-existent.

MP is intense. No other way to put it. Somehow they have made one of the more fast paced frenetic MP experiences that much more crazy. Lots of text flying around, icons flying around, names flying around. Just always something going on visually on top of the action. Very much a visceral experience. Despite how much more chaotic it is, it all somehow works. Probably because it really is just the same MP game we are know and love with the original Modern Warfare MP on steroids.

So it is more or less exactly what I expected it to be. A really great, fun video game experience, extremely solid and polished, with a story that is weak at best, but that fact is irrelevant as it does not need to be good since everything else is.

Still need to check out Spec Ops mode however unless something is tragically wrong with it I already know I am going to enjoy it a whole lot.