[Official] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Interesting. I actually found the story in MW1 to be quite good. I wonder why the approach worked so well in the 1st one, and so poorly in the 2nd one.

It worked well in MW1 because the gameplay followed the story. It was nicely paced and explained. MW2 has so many things going on and 18 levels (more then MW1) but shorter as they are faster, that I'm guessing they didn't have enough time to really piece it together so it makes perfect sense.

Well I'm about to start playing and I'm a story over gameplay kind of guy (to an extent, I'm not saying I play broken games, but I'll most definitely play through buggy/flawed game if the story is awesome).

I'll no doubt think it's a huge pile of turd and unless as short as people are saying move onto having fun with MP and not complete SP :p

My back catalogue of single player campaigns I haven't completed due to me thinking they don't live up to standards I want is pretty huge. I didn't even fully complete COD4 :/

Ok I've decided, I'm grabbing this on the 360. Now can you add friends through Xbox.com? *checks

Oh damn, just remembered, haven't got Gold membership atm. Gonna have to pick up another year of that :p

Did anyone of you guys beat the game on Verteran yet? How hard is it? I finished the game on Casual and I'm going to take the plunge for Verteran.

Well I'm about to start playing and I'm a story over gameplay kind of guy (to an extent, I'm not saying I play broken games, but I'll most definitely play through buggy/flawed game if the story is awesome).

I'll no doubt think it's a huge pile of turd and unless as short as people are saying move onto having fun with MP and not complete SP :p

My back catalogue of single player campaigns I haven't completed due to me thinking they don't live up to standards I want is pretty huge. I didn't even fully complete COD4 :/

Audio.. you SHOULD play the singleplayer. It's an experience that you will regret not having. Story is flawed yes, but you'll see get the elements of it. I just think they failed to round everything up properly. But the action and the feeling you will have playing the game will definitely be worth it.

It's jawdropping cinematic experience at a frantic pace.

Btw, it's MUCH darker than MW1. So it's not all peaches and cream. Just so you know ;)

Did anyone of you guys beat the game on Verteran yet? How hard is it? I finished the game on Casual and I'm going to take the plunge for Verteran.

I did.. took me 9 hours and 12 minutes. It's definitely challenging but it's a bit easier than Veteran on COD4. I guess they heard people were frustrated with a couple of levels in COD4 on Veteran so they decided to soften it up a bit. But just a bit. It's still challenging game and definitely how you should play this game. Because it feels much more realistic.

Audio.. you SHOULD play the singleplayer. It's an experience that you will regret not having. Story is flawed yes, but you'll see get the elements of it. I just think they failed to round everything up properly. But the action and the feeling you will have playing the game will definitely be worth it.

It's jawdropping cinematic experience at a frantic pace.

Btw, it's MUCH darker than MW1. So it's not all peaches and cream. Just so you know ;)

Well to be fair I probably will, not much on the go for me just now, Dragon Age is fair too much of a time sink. I've just started my new job and have exams soon. Other games I have on the go just now require too much dedication as well.

So I do actually welcome a shorter SP experience, and possibly one not as heavy handed - Yes I know ironic after blasting the game saying it should be of a higher calibre standard and longer :p

The problem I have in general is unless the SP experience captures my attention, mind and interests I really struggle to complete a game - I don't do completion for trophies and I don't do completion to pass the time (I have every console, lots of games await me). I guess I probably have a little OCD mixed into the pot as well, I also have a few titles on the go at once and unless one captures me I tend to jump between them before finally shelving them incomplete.

I actually really liked most of the story/plot, its just the script and cut scenes could have been better.

I didn't think the airport scene was very bad, bit boring tbh. I reckon the game did deserve the 18 rating because of what happened to Roach later on.

I did.. took me 9 hours and 12 minutes. It's definitely challenging but it's a bit easier than Veteran on COD4. I guess they heard people were frustrated with a couple of levels in COD4 on Veteran so they decided to soften it up a bit. But just a bit. It's still challenging game and definitely how you should play this game. Because it feels much more realistic.

That's good to hear. Call of Duty: World at War was very challenging on Veteran, but only because of the stupid "let's throw 90 million grenades" crap. If not for that it would've been a cakewalk for me. I'm going through on Casual right now because I need to refamiliarize myself with COD, though, and to get a feel for all the missions.

I don't remember if I did COD 4 on Veteran or not on the PC.

After reading the Wiki plot that explains the story, it makes a lot more sense to me but as acnpt says, I definitely think that script and cut scenes should've explained it more. It just felt rushed and not explained so most people get it right off the bat like IW had tradition with previous games.

For those who want to read it:

Modern Warfare 2 is set five years after the conclusion of Call of Duty 4. Despite the efforts of the Marines and the SAS, the Ultranationalists seize control of Russia and declare Zakhaev a hero and martyr. Meanwhile, Vladimir Makarov, one of Zakhaev's former lieutenants, begins a reign of terror against Europe by staging numerous terror attacks.

The game begins in Afghanistan, where US Army Ranger Private Allen helps take an Afghan city from an army of militants. Impressed, General Shepherd recruits Allen as a CIA operative and places him in Makarov's organization as an undercover operative. Meanwhile, Soap and Roach infiltrate a Russian airbase to recover a lost ACS module. Makarov, however, is one step ahead; he kills Allen, exposes his identity as an American, and turns him into a scapegoat for a brutal terrorist attack on a Russian airport.

Angered by what they believe is an American-supported terrorist attack, Russia stages a surprise invasion of the United States East Coast. Private Ramirez and the US Army Rangers are called upon to defend Washington D.C. from the Russian attack. Meanwhile, Task Force 141 works on taking down Makarov. They go to Rio de Janeiro to chase leads on Makarov's contacts, but these turn out to be dead ends. As a result, Soap decides to rescue one of Makarov's most hated enemies from a Russian prison and use him as bait to draw him out. With assistance from the SEALS and Marines, Task Force 141 manages to free the prisoner, who is revealed to be Price. Price agrees to help them track down Makarov, but knows they must do something extreme to end the war. He temporarily goes rogue, hijacks a Russian nuclear submarine, and launches an ICBM at Washington D.C. However, Price rigs the warhead to explode in the upper atmosphere, which destroys the International Space Station but spares Washington. The resulting electromagnetic pulse cripples both the US and Russian forces in the city. Later, Ramirez and his squad discover that the Air Force will assume that D.C. is lost and carpet bomb the city. The only way to abort the operation is to set off green flares on the roof of the White House, which is under Russian control. Ramirez and his squad fight their way to the roof the building and manage to set off their flares in the nick of time, while green flares on the roofs of other D.C. landmarks signifies that the city remains firmly in American hands.

Even with the current conflict over, Makarov is still on the loose. Narrowing down his hiding place to two separate locations, Task Force 141 decides to split up. Soap and Price go to the boneyards in Afghanistan, while Roach and Ghost raid Makarov's safehouse in the Caucasus Mountains. The latter obtain vital intelligence to put an end to him for good. However, General Shepherd betrays them and kills both Ghost and Roach. He intends to take advantage of the global crisis to turn himself into a global hero as well as write history how he sees fit. Price and Soap manage to escape Shepherd's ambush, and decide to take revenge on him in one final, bloody suicide mission. After a brutal fist-fight, Soap manages to kill Shepherd, but he and Price are seriously wounded in the process. Nikolai then arrives to extract them. Price warns Nikolai that they will be international fugitives for what they've done, but Nikolai insists he knows a safe place to take them.

I just got my copy today and all I can say is OMG WOW awesome GFX and the best I have ever seen in a game, the AI through single player is just amazing... one of the best games I have played this year at the moment.

Activision sold 1.23 million copies of Modern Warfare 2 in the UK on the game's first day on release, MCV can reveal.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36482/Modern-War...ne-sales-record

Impressive feat but im sure Sainsburys/Morrisons selling it for ?26 really helped that, not to mention Asda still undercutting a lot of other retail at ?32.

Still doesnt make much sense to me, why is Price in prison? how did he survive the end of MW1 when he got shot?

Every says that, He didn't at the end of MW1 he is on the floor and throws you the gun, after you kill everyone Price is getting CPR... He gets shot as much as you do. Gaz only got shot in the back on the floor in MW1, which adds to my gaz = ghost theory :p

Rofl, can't connect to mp at all on ps3 tonight, reset router, modem, ps3 etc... pathetic.

Read this topic from post 7 onwards.

Activision apparently didn't know PS3 owners were going to buy MW2, I can see where they're coming from, the first didn't sell 11 million on consoles, and there was no hype for MW2.

Read this topic from post 7 onwards.

Activision apparently didn't know PS3 owners were going to buy MW2, I can see where they're coming from, the first didn't sell 11 million on consoles, and there was no hype for MW2.

lol, thanks :)

Had a ****ty day and tried to play some mw2 but OH NO. :angry:

Compleated the sp campaign on hardened in about 6 hours. There were quite a few wow moments in the game but i have to agree with everyone who said the storyline made no sense at all. While i'm really enjoying the game, i can't help but feel a little bit dissapointed with the game overall. Perhaps thats due to the game being hyped up to be the second coming of christ. MP it starting to feel a little bit repetitive already (lvl 22 atm), and i havn't given spec ops a go yet.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36482/Modern-War...ne-sales-record

Impressive feat but im sure Sainsburys/Morrisons selling it for ?26 really helped that, not to mention Asda still undercutting a lot of other retail at ?32.

wow. That means over 1 in 60 people in the UK bought it on release day. That is quite an amazing number.

So, that's how you do things? You decide it's not worthy to pay for and just steal it?

If it's worthy to play then it's worthy to pay.

Who said I was going to steal it? You obviously have a guilty conscious. I can naturally get a free trial off my ISP since new games mostly come on their site in form of a free trial with the SP unlocked and MP unlocked. It's what you get when you pay premium price for the internet. Alternatively, I'll just go to a mates place a play it on a 360 but I'm not a big fan of consoles and controllers.

PC Gamers rage against Modern Warfare 2

It's no secret now that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 caused a big stir on the PC when it was announced that it would not come with dedicated servers as all the previous Call of Duty titles did. Instead it would implement a peer2peer system where gamers connect to other gamers who host a game while they play it. The mod, clan and server hosting community was shocked and decided to call a boycott on Modern Warfare 2.

It now seems the boycott is just beginning. Users across Gamespot, IGN and Amazon have vented their frustration by submitting a great number of user reviews lashing out at the game and lowering user scores across the respective sites.

IGN user rating: 2.1 / 10

Gamespot user rating: 5.0 / 10

Amazon user rating: 1.5 / 5 Stars

User reviews also detailed heavy distasted for the treatment of the PC port

M. Weir on Amazon:

“It's painfully obvious that Infinity Ward prefer console development at this point (particularly the 360, which gets exclusive content before anybody else for the second game in row now), and it's even clearer that Activsion are greedy jerks.”

SpecterXX on Gamespot:

“The worst part of all of this is that Activision is still pitching the no dedicated servers as an improvement in playability.”

mark_150 on IGN:

“Despite claims that this is the most 'feature ritch' PC version in the series, IW seem to have completely ruined the PC online part. No dedicated servers, limited to 9v9 (6v6 for some modes), no mods, heck it doesn't even show your ping”

Above are just some examples of the many reviews currently on the websites. It’s not clear at this point what Activision will to if anything to stop this user rating from dragging the score well below. Or if indeed the sites close user ratings and reviews for a little while the internet rage subsides. What is clear though is that there are quite a few annoyed fans that need to vent their frustration.

PC Version is getting pwned.

PC Gamers rage against Modern Warfare 2

PC Version is getting pwned.

"PC owners have to understand forcing matchmaking only provides a great stable and fast connection with your friends, just look at our Xbox 360 and Playstati..., Xbox 360 owners enjoying MW2 right now".