Firefox showing some text in gibberish

In regular browsing, some text which I can only assume has a title-like tag will be displayed in some kind of gibberish. It's not a problem I've had before, and only seems to happen in Firefox.

As an example, some of the text on the chi.mp homepage does it.

The parts in question are boxed in red, just in case :p

uFD6El.png

Anyone know what's up with this? It's rare, but can get really annoying. Thanks.

hmm, It wouldn't have anything to do with the firefox theme or any stylish theme you're using that could be breaking it?

you tried using FF with default settings?

This is going to sound silly - but have you done a spyware or virus check lately? Looks somewhat familiar to the strange gibberish hackers are using on Twitter to enable botnets.

This is going to sound silly - but have you done a spyware or virus check lately? Looks somewhat familiar to the strange gibberish hackers are using on Twitter to enable botnets.

Yeah, real time protection and scheduled full scans haven't produced a thing.

check on new profile, running firefox with -p switch

Just tried, still to no avail :/

Hate to be the one to state the obvious, but have you cleared your cache, cookies, etc? Does it happen with a different browser? What version of FF is it?

Also, don't know about you, but I'm usually quite careful not to post my email address on an open forum, even if it is in an image. Just FYI.

Hate to be the one to state the obvious, but have you cleared your cache, cookies, etc? Does it happen with a different browser? What version of FF is it?

Also, don't know about you, but I'm usually quite careful not to post my email address on an open forum, even if it is in an image. Just FYI.

That email just forwards to my main address, so if it was abused I could just filter it out. Never been a problem for me though :)

It's only happening in Firefox, which is version 3.5.2.

I tried a new profile and clearing everything within that (though presumably there was nothing to clean), but it still displays the gibberish text :/

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

Disabled all addons? If that doesn't help, I suggest installing Web Developer add on from here: http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

Use the CSS button on the toolbar that is installed to disable CSS. See if the heading "Own Your Identity with chi.mp!" appears in that view, or if it still shows the garbled characters.

Let me know and we'll carry on the dissection of this :)

All addons were disabled in the new profile anyway I believe, so I have tried that.

The text shows up perfectly when I disable CSS with the addon you linked. Might it be an issue with the font they're trying to use?

They seem to be h1 and h2 according to that addon, if that's of any help.

It lists the affecting code as follows:

http://cdn0.chi.mp/1251339277/stylesheets/reset.css?1251339720

body, div, dl, dt, dd, ul, ol, li, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, pre, code, form, fieldset, legend, input, textarea, p, blockquote, th, td (line 7)

{
margin-top: 0pt;
margin-right: 0pt;
margin-bottom: 0pt;
margin-left: 0pt;
padding-top: 0pt;
padding-right: 0pt;
padding-bottom: 0pt;
padding-left: 0pt;
}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 (line 7)

{
font-size: 100%;
font-weight: normal;
}
http://cdn2.chi.mp/1251339277/stylesheets/beta.css?1251339720

h1 (line 9)

{
font-size: 2.2em;
color: #d97e04;
margin-top: 15px;
margin-bottom: 20px;
line-height: 1em;
}

#billboard h1 (line 135)

{
color: #4e2700;
font-size: 2em;
margin-top: 0pt;
margin-right: 0pt;
margin-bottom: 25px;
margin-left: 0pt;
font-weight: normal;
}

Hmm, nothing wrong... I think your install of FF is having some issues rendering H1 text given specific CSS criteria. If you could let us know what other pages are giving the same weird text, we might be able to work out if it's a FF issue, or perhaps you are just missing a font? Hmmm...

Hmm, nothing wrong... I think your install of FF is having some issues rendering H1 text given specific CSS criteria. If you could let us know what other pages are giving the same weird text, we might be able to work out if it's a FF issue, or perhaps you are just missing a font? Hmmm...

The green article title text on Smashing Magazine is also displayed garbled. I'm having trouble thinking of what other sites it's happening on, but it's more than those two for definite.

Is there a way to tell what font they're 'asking' Firefox to use?

It's using, in preferential order: Helvetica, Arial and Calibri, and then the default san-serif family (if my understanding of how CSS handles fonts is correct.) Therefore you would need to be missing all of them, which is DOUBTFUL.

Simple solution... create a piece of CSS defining 3 different H1s and H2s, each using a different font... Then get a page to reproduce all three H1s and H2s, so you end up with:

H1 in Helvetica

H2 in Helvetica

H1 in Arial

H2... etc etc etc

Chuck it on a webserver and see if Firefox throws a wobbly! If it does, we've identified the issue.

Found this:

http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2009/06/19...dings-solution/

Just like you have.

Weird things is, I don't have Helvetica on this machine either, yet it displays fine. A basic solution is included.

Ooh, thanks for the link.

That's very strange if it works for you. Are you also on 3.5.2?

I seem to be able to find hundreds of variants of Helvetica, but not the standard version?

What fonts do you have installed?

Firefox is finding one of them and is using it.

I have quite a few fonts installed... Helvetica-wise, everything I could find, but I haven't found a single plain "Helvetica", it's all "LT Bold" and stuff.

I'm on my netbook right now and it's absolutely fine, which is pretty weird given I use practically the same stuff on both machines and I don't have Helvetica on it at all, so it's substituting fine.

I'll check next time I can get on the desktop what I have on there of those specified in the CSS if that's what you were asking :)