Windows 7 Network Icon Displays an "X"

Windows 7 RTM x64. I've set up an VPN using the "Add New Connection..." wizard in the Network Connections explorer. The VPN works fine, but unless an inbound VPN connection is active, I get a red "X" over the network icon in the notification area of the task bar, as seen in the following screen capture:

post-51387-1256100424.jpg

Hovering over the icon displays no errors; neither does clicking on it:

post-51387-1256100504.jpg

My Network and Sharing Center networks look like this:

post-51387-1256100500.jpg

My Network Connections explorer looks like this:

post-51387-1256100496_thumb.jpg

The only way I've found to get rid of the red "X" in the taskbar notification icon is to delete the VPN connection, but obviously that's not a solution. How do I get rid of the icon, but keep the VPN connection? I have tried browing every property dialog box that I can find, but none offers an option that removes the red "X". Note: the red "X" in the "LAN" network connection is because I don't have a cable plugged into it and is not relevant to my question.

EDIT: I seem to be unable to add either PNG or JPG images to this post.

Edited by boogerjones

If you disconnect the VPN and restart the PC does it go away?
No, I just rebooted and that doesn't make any difference. The only thing that gets rid of it is deleting the "Incoming Connections" object from the Network Connections folder.

This might be something I just have to live with. But I remember XP (and maybe Vista) had a simple checkbox that disabled notification icons for network connections. I don't see anything like that in 7.

Windows 7 doesn't display your network status once it's connected (as far as I know)

The X is simply your Wired LAN which is disconnected. You've got 2 adapters. Ones connected, the other isn't.

Just disable the LAN if you don't use it.

No, I just rebooted and that doesn't make any difference. The only thing that gets rid of it is deleting the "Incoming Connections" object from the Network Connections folder.

This might be something I just have to live with. But I remember XP (and maybe Vista) had a simple checkbox that disabled notification icons for network connections. I don't see anything like that in 7.

Right click the Notification Area and click Properties.

Windows 7 doesn't display your network status once it's connected (as far as I know)

The X is simply your Wired LAN which is disconnected. You've got 2 adapters. Ones connected, the other isn't.

Just disable the LAN if you don't use it.

No, I explained in my initial post (see the "Note") that this is NOT the problem and I knew it would cause confusion. Again, the red "X" is NOT from the disconnected LAN connection. It only appears when I set up an incoming VPN listener.
Right click the Notification Area and click Properties.
That's useful to know, but I still want the network icon to appear, I just don't want the "X" overlay. My post that you replied to was confusing in that regard.

Interestingly, here is the message in the notification icon settings:

post-51387-1256155846.png

Obviously I'm connected to a network since I'm writing this post.