Ubuntu on a network?

Hi,

the pc's that have 2 ethernet cards, which one should I unplug? The original one thats built in or the one that is added extra? The one that is extra has this little GIGABIT light that is lighting maybe that one is more powerful?

Thanks!

Yeah I would suggest you unplug the ones that are not gigabit capable, since you have a gigabit switch. But only going to matter if your server has gigabit, and to be honest a better setup might be that your server machine is gig and the other machines be lowered to 100mbit

If i leave the gigabit ones and unplug the other ones it says that the network cable is unplugged even though everything still works fine. Also does anyone have any idea why some pc's have 2 ethernet cards?

I know I shouldn't laugh but this thread has become my guilty pleasure (Y) Certainly interesting what jobs you can get out there with a little fabrication....

"If i leave the gigabit ones and unplug the other ones it says that the network cable is unplugged even though everything still works fine."

Danny -- you got to be kidding me!! NO **** if you unplug the cable then windows will tell you its unplugged.. Its going to show you this error for both cards if you unplug both of them. And yeah it still works -- since you only need 1 freaking connection to the network ;)

If you do not want to see the error -- either remove the card your no longer using if its an addon card.. Or just disable the card you no longer have plugged in -- since you have NO use for 2 cards.

post-14624-1257353264.jpg

If you want to see the little icon for the connection your still using right click the interface and pick properties.

post-14624-1257353532.jpg

As to why some of the machines have 2 of them -- either he was updating them to Gig speeds and was too lazy or stupid to remove the original cable or card. I vote for too stupid ;) from the sounds of your setup ;)

NO it will NOT effect your other active connection -- Like I said freaking just disable or remove the other nic your not using.. And you will not see the icon showing its not connected ;)

We have servers with up to 10Nics in them, Not all used and ESX Enviroment with access to Different DMZ's. We also have other servers with 2-4 Nics in and they are teamed, Also can be set to failover mode. However I dont see why a desktop workstation would EVER need the same set up. Have you followed both wires and see where they are going to?

Danny you really need to get to grips with this if you want to get anywhere and make it easy for you, Everyone on here has provided you with PLENTY of info on what you need to do. Again try post some pics of what these workstations are set up like etc. Im sure your boss wont mind if you explain to him the reason for the pics is to get an understanding as to what the hell the other guy did . . .

We have servers with up to 10Nics in them, Not all used and ESX Enviroment with access to Different DMZ's. We also have other servers with 2-4 Nics in and they are teamed, Also can be set to failover mode. However I dont see why a desktop workstation would EVER need the same set up. Have you followed both wires and see where they are going to?

Yup,

the ones that have 2 nics one of them goes into the d link and one in the link sys. The only computers that connect to the d link are the ones with 2 nics.

Also I was just reading this: http://www.tech-faq.com/concurrent-connect...indows-xp.shtml

should i try this?

Edit:

So far so good. Since the server has 2 ethernet cards i unplugged the one that goes to the d - link one. I also switched the router line and put it in the linksys. So far everything still works :). Now there are 4 ethernet cables left on the d link. I will be disconnecting those also shortly.

Edited by Danny D

I think I have an idea on why there is 2 switches. The D-Link was bought 5-6 years ago. So then when he needed more ports he bought the linksys one. But he also left some wires on the d link one. So now everything is unplugged from the d link and everything still works fine. Is it possible that tomorrow for example something gets messed up because i did this? Also on the server should i unplug the gigabit one or the normal one?

Id stick with the gigabit assuming its connected to the gig switch. Which is the linksys right?

I would *highly* recommend you look at taking the CCNA 1-4 Classes at your local community college. At the *very least* take the first two. That will give you a nice hands on introduction to networking.

Id stick with the gigabit assuming its connected to the gig switch. Which is the linksys right?

I would *highly* recommend you look at taking the CCNA 1-4 Classes at your local community college. At the *very least* take the first two. That will give you a nice hands on introduction to networking.

Im in college right now, and I will be taking that class next semester. And yes the gigabit is the linksys one.

On your server unplug the 100mbit one -- and leave gig.. But your server had a wireless interface and bridge.. So you need to look at that.. The server should only have 1 connection to your network just like the rest of your machines.

On your server unplug the 100mbit one -- and leave gig.. But your server had a wireless interface and bridge.. So you need to look at that.. The server should only have 1 connection to your network just like the rest of your machines.

Umm what do i need to look at and whats a bridge?

Awesome, so every computer only has *1* internet connect to it now? and its all labeled?

If so then thats a good start.

Yup every PC has only 1 ethernet cable now. There are still a **** load of cables in the linksys that are not needed, but first I am waiting to see if anyone has any problems before i start unplugging those and labeling everything. Is it possible for anyone to have problems later on because the d-link is removed? Also can i do this to allow more connections: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

I already linked to the post before where you gave the ipconfig /all of your server -- and it showed a wireless card and a bridged connections. Please post the output of your servers ipconfig /all again.

edit: NO its not possible to start having trouble because the dlink is gone.. And if all your machines are on and working -- you can disconnect any cables in the linksys that do not have lights on for that port.

Ok great. So if they do have problems then its something else. Here is the ipconfig all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\SERVER>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER
		Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
		Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
		IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
		WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
		Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-G PCI Adapter
		Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-65-1C-A4
		Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
		Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106
		Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
		DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
		DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.130
											xxx.xxx.xxx.129
											xxx.xxx.xxx.130
											xxx.xxx.xxx.129
		Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:26:1
0 PM
		Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:26:10
 PM

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
		Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
		Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-1D-60-0C-33-F7
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.108
		DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.130
											xxx.xxx.xxx.129
											xxx.xxx.xxx.130
											xxx.xxx.xxx.129
		Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:21:51
 AM
		Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:21:51
AM

C:\Documents and Settings\SERVER>

Also can anyone give me some comments on this: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

And there you go -- as I stated you have a Wireless Card in your server!!

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-65-1C-A4

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106

And then

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-1D-60-0C-33-F7

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.108

I thought you said you did not have any wireless clients??? You still have the server connected to the wireless network with an IP address of .106 and then there is a bridge with a .108 address.

Why I have NO Freaking IDEA you do not need that!!!! I would suggest you undo the bridge and turn off the wireless card on the "server" and just connect with gig nic on your server to your network -- Only 1 WIRE to your switch!!

As to the comment to your half open limit patch -- JFC that has always been utter BS plain and simple its about the HALF OPEN connection limits -- it has NOTHING to do with the 10 concurrent connections that are a limitation of XP pro.. You can not get around the 10 connection limit on XP.. And you sure and the F do not need that asinine patch that floated around the net that people think they need to speed up their P2P connections.. Because people did not understand what the half open connection limit did -- some IDIOT removed the changes ms put out to try and slow down worms, etc. Its was never going to stop or slow down worms -- but it could be used as a warning light (event id 4226 and slow browsing, etc.) that your machine is attempting to make connections that do not open very very fast -- more than 10/sec etc.

That patch is FUD!!! and NO you do not need it - nor will it help in any way your limitation of 10 concurrent connections to XP pro.

Edited by BudMan

We used to have wireless clients years back nothing now. So the card just sits in the PC. I dont even know why we need it when we have a wireless router... I dont even know how to undo a bridge.. i dont even know what that is :s