What are these folders/ files?

Just to expand, these .VDM files are Microsoft Virus/Malware definition files. They are installed into the Defender/MSE program, and as far as I know - they're just left behind. Or maybe they haven't been installed yet.

Thanks for the clear up! Was gonna start a topic asking the same, but imma delete them they are weird looking lol

When I first noticed these files, I assumed they were generally to do with all Microsoft updates. When I opened a couple it was apparent that many were MSE update files, although subesequent re installs of Microasoft products, generated the same kind of files.

But I tried a few experiments and discovered that, where they were positioned on the hard disk, was interdependent on the IE download path.

i have them on every single HDD in my system i was wondering what they were hmmmm so's it safe to delete them or are they there for a purpose you know something like a hash check for the files on a drive

I found these on my C drive last night! I Googled the issue and apparently it's MS Security Essentials. I read that the issue with it leaving temp files had been fixed by an update.

I deleted these folders, with no obvious issues occuring.

We shall see if it's fixed next time MSE downloads an update....