Something fell off my car?

Hi Neobahn!

I was driving to work this morning on the Motorway when I heard a nasty rattle like something was hanging off or scraping then suddenly it stopped and i saw something fly off the car onto the lane behind me (so obviously can't retrieve it on a busy motorway) - this all happened in the space of 5-7 seconds so couldn't do much about it. I thought it may have been one of the steel wheel caps but these are all intact, I think it may have just been the heat shield as this has been rattling when starting the engine cold but with no way to get it to a garage during the day is this the most likely cause.

It is still driving perfectly, I can't be fully sure it was even from my vehicle - just that it flew out of the back of it after a few seconds. Kinda worried now, so gonna have to try and get it home on the quiet roads tonight then find out what it is/was. Am i right in thinking it could have just been the heat shield falling from the exhaust though as it may have corroded over the years.

Car is a 1998 S Reg Nissan Micra Ally.

have you inspected the exhaust in full, this is the most comon part that falls off a car.

If it was the exhaust he would hear it instantly.

Yeah, most likely part of the exhaust, or heat shield, probably one under the gas tank. Just get under and inspect it good, since it just fell off you should be able to see where it was at.

Well we've had a look and the heat shield is still attached to the car from what we can see, there has been no change in the way it drives or any audible change. Difficult to look at the whole thing in the dark, but I can't see anything that's different/missing at the moment. I'll get it checked asap.