Flash performing extremely poorly

Question

Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of flash, like by tweaking settings or something?

I play a game on facebook called cafe world.. this game isn't very graphically intensive at all and my PC can quite easily run games with 10 times better graphics, but for some reason this game just crawls. It uses up 50% of my CPU (I have a dual core so I can still do things, just slowly!) and can even reach over a gig of RAM sometimes, but tends to stay around the 500-600MB mark.

Running the latest flash (beta) with firefox but the same problems occur with the latest stable version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

7 answers to this question

does the non beta version of flash have the same issues ?

also, have you tried using internet explorer to see if it has the same issues

does the non beta version of flash have the same issues ?

also, have you tried using internet explorer to see if it has the same issues

The beta/stable versions have the same issues.

I will try IE now, didn't think to try that! :D

What kind of GPU do you have? Might want to look at this and see if GPU-accelerated flash might be an option. Also try using IE and see if you have the same problems.

I don't think mine is supported by the GPU-accelerated flash, it's old and not great...

It's an "ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series"

Edit:

Thanks guys, but it's the same in internet explorer. I had flash 9 installed on that (shows you how often I use IE!) and it was still slow and a memory hog, so I updated to flash 10 and it's the same issue.

Edited by Hardcore Til I Die

I have not tried it on Cafe World-- but on some sites you can right click- choose settings- then the folder Icon- and increase the storage space on your hard drive that the application can use.

I know on sites for me like Hulu before I got a faster internet- I could pause the video and get myself a cup of coffee and then play the movie without a lag by using that method.

Also some flash games this increases the performance like that on bubblebox games-

Though I would hate to tell you- I play farmville and it lags a lot mainly because of the beta stage and the new additions. (New items) and now it also seems as if now ads can now pop up during game-play.

What kind of GPU do you have? Might want to look at this and see if GPU-accelerated flash might be an option. Also try using IE and see if you have the same problems.

I think GPU acceleration for rendering is broken or disabled in 10.1, although H.264 decoding is accelerated with it.

I have not tried it on Cafe World-- but on some sites you can right click- choose settings- then the folder Icon- and increase the storage space on your hard drive that the application can use.

I know on sites for me like Hulu before I got a faster internet- I could pause the video and get myself a cup of coffee and then play the movie without a lag by using that method.

Also some flash games this increases the performance like that on bubblebox games-

Though I would hate to tell you- I play farmville and it lags a lot mainly because of the beta stage and the new additions. (New items) and now it also seems as if now ads can now pop up during game-play.

I'm starting to wonder whether or not it's just a badly coded game, because I can play the 1080p youtube sample clip in fullscreen with less lag than this game..

I have a 3 GHz P4 w/ 1 GB RAM & a Radeon 3650 . ver 10.1of flash seems slower than 10.0 for something than others. There were a few games I could never play before too many effects I couldn't play on low. I can play on High-res now, but other things seem slower.