Gotta love a fresh reformat

I just formatted today... expecting the set-up to last me till SP2 beta in a couple of months.

I really didn't have all that many problems with XP home before I formatted. It did start to feel a little slower, but that's been fixed now. :) I usually reformat after the school year's over since I don't wnat to lose anything accidentally.

Regcleaner basicallysearches through your registry and clears out all the old and unused registry entries. I don't see why it wouldn't work with 2000. Just search Neowin for regcleaner, and I'm sure you'll find where you can download it.

Have you guys never heard of Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image?

I create a image of my fresh installed Windows with needed software. Then when Windows become unusable, I`m back to "normal" in 3 min. instead of 3 hours. :)

yea yea, thats the way to do it :)

Intel P4 2.53.

I use regcleaner so I'm gonna give point 2 and 3 from schmoove a try, although I don't install a lot of apps so I imagine that part will be less of a problem.

I'd like to see Dazzla move to an Intel HyperThreaded Chip. :)

Your into so much encoding man, it must be diffucult to have like no CPU left to process the other threads when you multitask.

HyperThreading is a godsend. It does well. :)

Yeah, I get spyder teasing my every day about it ;) I'm gonna wait for a bit longer though, perhaps when it reaches greater then 3.5 and closer to 4 I'll upgrade. Looking at an upgrade later this year, I really wanna wait for PCI express as well though, and fast rpm SATA drives to come down to a reasonable price :laugh:

don't u have one of the more unstable asus boards?

With so much stuff going on in your system dazzla, you ever try setting your cpu priorities to background services instead of programs?

I find my XP system gets 'bogged' down whenever i am doing alot of hard drive intensive stuff, such as encoding, or moving large files even accross my network.

I reformatted on a new hard disk as my old one kinda went funny.

Anyway, i dunno what some of you do to make your systems slow down, mine is fine and dandy.

As for the amount of software installed, isnt a drama either.(check attachment for a profile)

After an fresh install(full format, not quick. Whenever i reformat, i delete the current partition/drive and recreate it and then install RAW), i do these things

Disable most services, leave some on auto that i need. i even set help to manual.

Then i go to my computer, right click on my c drive and select propeties. Then i go to the bottom and de-select Index and ignore all whe i get the message box(i also disable the service also.)

Set page file

Install graphics, nforce2 drivers and modem.

Install Windows Updates i have saved on my system which my system needs.

Then i go to Windows Update for anything i missed or is newer.

I do alot of changing on my system. Change temp folder to the windows directory properly, change Temp net file, cookies, history, favourites etc also to windows directory.(similar to older Win98 systems) and these folders are not hidden like the default of some of em.

I also use some of my reg tweaks to improve performance and speed.

Change the IE Title bar

Install Tweakui XP for further tweaking

Then install software

My_System_Profile.zip

My_System_Profile.zip

Edited by Davey

Yea, I followed a similar setup, but I installed most of the updates and such for Windows, and my drivers before I started to tweak anything.

Have you guys never heard of Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image?

I create a image of my fresh installed Windows with needed software. Then when Windows become unusable, I`m back to "normal" in 3 min. instead of 3 hours. :)

Yupe I'm using Norton Ghost, it saves lots of time. I'm just being too lazy for reformatting computer and takes ages to install 3rd party programs.