Symantec is Anti-Virus Product of the 2009

I'd say they pretty much ruined their reputation due to their own actions. Like they say, it takes 6 good comments to influence someone positively, but only one negative comment to influence someone against it. They should have thought of that years ago.

Got a computer, at setup I was asked whether I would like that AV. I said no. Still found it installed on the system. Thanks HP! You @$$holes.

Uninstalled. Instant performance increase, boot time decrease. It was the first thing I uninstalled - instant perfromance increase.

Got a computer, at setup I was asked whether I would like that AV. I said no. Still found it installed on the system. Thanks HP! You @$$holes.

Uninstalled. Instant performance increase, boot time decrease. It was the first thing I uninstalled - instant perfromance increase.

Uninstalling any AV program will lead to a performance increase.

So much hate! alot of people can't seem to accept the AV they loved to hate is now actually good

+1 though personally I don't think I'll ever use any paid AV when I can have avast or MSE.

Uninstalling any AV program will lead to a performance increase.

Well, this is not completely true.... There are those that do not offer real time protection of any sort (or it can be easily completely disabled) - they just scan your PC whenever you desire. But I see your point.

:)

Like others, Norton's lows (2003 IMO) lead me to be wary of their highs. The hell Norton 2003 put me through - both while installed and trying to uninstall - means it'll be a looooong time before I pay for one of their products again, especially with MSE being so effective and free. Even if that turned into a turd, I'd look to NOD32 first.

Well, I have been trying out their Norton Internet Security 2010, I had been rotating between Avira, Eset Smart Security and most recently Kaspersky A/V 2010. I must say I am impressed with the product. Quite light on my system and so far no issues with detections or removals. They have improved quite a lot. And I believe that their SONAR technology has a lot to do with this. I think that Such improvements will ultimately be good for the consumer. MSE is also a very very impressive product

Well i fully accept the findings and endorse norton to anybody who wants hassle-free protection.Unlike many people here who speak purely on hearsay.....

I would say norton 2010 is running very smoothly on my system and offers excellent protection.

For today's systems with GBs of RAM, performance is not an issue with Norton or MSE but on systems with 512 MB RAM which I come across once in a while whose users have no idea how to secure their comp, Avira or NOD are lighter. MSE or Norton end up with higher peak memory (100 MB+) slowing down those systems. MSE slowdown is a superset of Windows Defender (which is known to hog resources).

Rght now I'm quite happy with microsoft security essentials. But it's interesting to see norton getting good reviews again. 10years ago my pc install would always have norton systemwork, antivirus

I can't seem to find which "Symantec" they tested.

Was it the consumer line of Norton Anti-Virus, or was it the corporate line of "Symantec Anti-Virus"?

Two very distinctive products, and used very differently.

I've used Norton SystemWorks 6-7 years ago. And it was rubbish. Then I switched to NOD32 (v2.7) and it was great... After few years I switched again to free Avast Home edition. And it was good, low memory and CPU consumptions was good deal for me. In late 2009 MS launched MSE. And I've tried that too. I've think it's good, but I really have to say it isn't that good. Yes, it's free I know that. But with Avira and Avast, MSE is the looser. Sorry guys. Today I've switched from MSE to Norton AV 2010. And it's great. Low memory consumption, fast boot time (actually I don't see difference between MSE and Norton boot time - so it's that good). Norton found couple of security issues, and fixet it very fast and without restart of machine.

My intention wasn't trolling,... This post is truly friendly and honest. :yes: Use whatever you like/prefer. :cool:

non-paid (free)

1. Avast Home Edition

2. Avira

3. Microsoft Security Essential (it's still "green" but with few releases it will be a great product)

Paid:

1. Norton

2. Kaspersky

My 5 cents

post-307178-1263173338_thumb.png

post-307178-1263173354_thumb.png

Norton 2009/2010 are both fine products. Sure, you have to pay but $40 for one year is still a good investment, especially to those who really aren't that computer savvy, downloading things and visiting sites with no responsibility. With the amount they saved with their illegal downloads, they'd be able to buy the antivirus and then some! :)

Most stores do norton for half price. Only idiots get it direct from symantec -you'll always pay far more than you should there.