Texas Boy Disciplined by School for Long Hair

MESQUITE, Texas -- The parents of a floppy-haired pre-kindergartner whose 'do landed him in in-school suspension rejected the school board's suggestion of a braid.

The Mesquite Independent School District, in Mesquite, Texas decided Monday to allow Taylor Pugh to upbraid his hair, putting it into a tight braid against his head that doesn't turn into a ponytail.

The board met in closed executive session Monday night to hear an appeal from the boy's mother.

Elizabeth Taylor says she wants her son, nicknamed "Tator Tot," back in regular class with his friends. But Tator Tot's parents said the upbraid idea is a no-go because the hairstyle gives the 4-year-old a headache.

"Our founding fathers, the same people that signed his constitutional rights, have hair longer than his. C'mon!" said Delton Pugh Jr., the boy's father.

Tator Tot has been alone in the library with a teacher's aide since late November because his long hair violates the district's grooming policy.

"Why can't he decide how long his hair is?" Taylor said. "If it has nothing to do with his education, why does he have to cut it?"

Tator Tot's parents say their son likes his hair long and is growing it to donate to an aunt who is fighting cancer.

"He (doesn't) understand what Locks of Love is," Pugh said. "He wants to give hair to his aunt. Locks of Love is the way for him to do that."

Pugh told the Dallas Morning News last month that he would move out of the district before he would force his son to cut his hair. He told the newspaper that his son "loves his hair."

Taylor said she offered to put her son's hair in a pony tail and slick back the front, but school officials insisted the boy's hair be cut.

His parents said Monday that they will take him to school with his hair in a ponytail held by a clip, and Tator Tot will continue his lessons while serving in-school suspension. But they said the hairy ordeal isn't hurting Tator Tot's performance at school.

"He misses his friends and wants to go play. He still makes 'As' and 'Bs' just like before," Pugh said.

The Mesquite ISD's dress code has been enforcing hair length since at least the 1970s, when the district sent home a 10-year-old boy because his hair touched his collar.

And the parents of a Mesquite middle school student are homeschooling their son after he ran into trouble over trendy skinny pants.

Source

America.... land of acceptance.

My Ass. Denying this kid a classroom seat because they don't like his hair??? Some days it sucks to be fighting for folks like that.

Urm, this may be extream, but wouldnt this pretty much go hand in hand with, "your black, which does not conform to our standards", which obviously would not be aloud...

Sounds like utter crap on the boards side. I feel sorry for the parents and for the boy that is being singled out for no good reason at such a young age. I hope he doesnt grow up learning to hate and fear teachers because of this!

Urm, this may be extream, but wouldnt this pretty much go hand in hand with, "your black, which does not conform to our standards", which obviously would not be aloud...

Sounds like utter crap on the boards side. I feel sorry for the parents and for the boy that is being singled out for no good reason at such a young age. I hope he doesnt grow up learning to hate and fear teachers because of this!

Agreed. Someone on the school board deserves to lose their job over this. If it were my kid, I'd sue, and make sure to sue for more than the school's insurance will cover. I don't even care about getting the money myself - it can all be punitive damages aside from just my court costs and wage equivalent for the days I miss work. I hope this school district gets curb-stomped in court.

At my [albiet private] school, boys couldn't have long hair. If you didn't get it cut in a reasonable time after a warning, the school marshal would take you down the street to the community barber which was pretty good incentive to get it cut yourself.

It's lovely that the only reason my school district is in the news is for something ridiculous. I hate this policy. I've been in ISS for my hair being too long, it's stupid to be punished the same way someone fighting, or doing something worse just because my hair is "too long".

At my [albiet private] school, boys couldn't have long hair. If you didn't get it cut in a reasonable time after a warning, the school marshal would take you down the street to the community barber which was pretty good incentive to get it cut yourself.

I attended private schools as well and there was never any sort of "acceptable hair length" policy. Granted, I have always had short hair, however there were quite a handful of students who chose to keep their hair at longer lengths and there was never any disciplinary action taken because of it. Punishing a student for such a silly reason seems a bit drastic, in my opinion. If the boy chooses to maintain such an appearance, that is his decision; the school board should have absolutely no say in an individual's personal tastes.

I swear, some schools believe that they are so "holier-than-thou". Give me a break. There are more pressing matters to deal with.

My school didn't allow long hair and I always pushed them to the limit. I was one of those give 'em hell types anyway and I stayed in trouble over my hair (and nearly everything else). Now that I've moved on into the workforce I keep my hair short.

Also what is really funny about this situation is that students are also not allowed to have facial hair, because it is "unclean and unprofessional", but this past school year they have allowed teachers to have facial hair, which if understand, are working in a professional environment.

There is a very sound reason for such school policies though. Generally, in a working environment, long hair is often frowned upon as its seen as untidy by the kind of people who tend to run businesses.

Take 2 people with identical qualifications. One has long hair, one has short hair. Send them to a job interview in a corporate environment. I bet you the short haired person will get the job.

Well i wasnt aloud long or short hair at school, however, they would expell or suspend you etc for it, they would just keep you back an hour extra each day to write lines or something until you sorted it.

The thing was though, if you where doing it for charity or the like then they would support you, not like what they are doing with this kid. Instead they are being ignorant twits about the whole thing.

Only rules for hair with our dress code throughout school were that it couldn't be distracting. This meant gel'd up mohawks (they were okay provided they weren't up) and non-natural hair dyes (pink) could get you in trouble. I suppose shaving symbols into your head were also not allowed, though I don't think they had a problem in high school with this guy shaving his football number. :p

There is a similar rule in my school, and if you have it too long (or too short) then you get suspended internally first, although I think if you're in sixth form you get sent home for the day if you don't get your hair cut.

Oh what a bloody joke, when I was in my college doing ICT I used to have long hair, right down to my shoulders, no bugger complained, this is just someone whining to whine.

This sort of thing really boils my ****. Doesn't matter if "that's the way the world is", the "world" according to those people is wrong. People judge way too quickly.

/rant