Connecting 2 PCs without crossover cable

I had two computers connected with an ethernet cable, and it was working for a few hours. One is a laptop running Vista with an nForce 10/100, the other is a PC running Win7 with a Linksys LNE100TX(v5) 10/100 NIC. They were working fine, then I unplugged the connection for a while. Now it doesn't work.

Both machines communicate with my router when I plug them in, but when connected to each other the ethernet ports don't even light up.

Both of them must have auto-sensing NICs, because they were able to communicate over a standard ethernet cable at least for a short time.

I had two computers connected with an ethernet cable, and it was working for a few hours. One is a laptop running Vista with an nForce 10/100, the other is a PC running Win7 with a Linksys LNE100TX(v5) 10/100 NIC. They were working fine, then I unplugged the connection for a while. Now it doesn't work.

Both machines communicate with my router when I plug them in, but when connected to each other the ethernet ports don't even light up.

Both of them must have auto-sensing NICs, because they were able to communicate over a standard ethernet cable at least for a short time.

they were able to communicate with a non-crossover cable and not through the router? how'd that work

Pretty much all NICs since 2000 are auto-sensing.

If the lights do not come on, I would question the integrity of the cable first. Do the lights come on if you connect the cable from a computer to a router?

they were able to communicate with a non-crossover cable and not through the router? how'd that work

You really don't need crossover cables anymore... everything works automagically.

I can't use the router for what I want to do. I just connected them to it in order to test the cable and the NICs. I can't go into more detail, but I know what I'm doing. :)

Pretty much all NICs since 2000 are auto-sensing.

If the lights do not come on, I would question the integrity of the cable first. Do the lights come on if you connect the cable from a computer to a router?

You really don't need crossover cables anymore... everything works automagically.

I forgot to mention, I have a RJ45 cable tester and the cable is fine.

Turn auto sensing off on one adapter if you can and set it to MDI-X then try that (Bit rusty but it should work)

Where do I go to find those settings? Here is the advanced settings tab for one NIC, the other is basically the same.

post-100134-1263336195.png

I don't see it on the list. I just looked at my Broadcom 440 10/100 card's advanced properties and I don't have the option on my list either. I'm pretty sure I have had network cards and they had an "AutoSense" option in their advanced properties (the dialog you are looking at).

Umm...hrmm...

Shoot man, the only thing I can think of is try everything. Reboot, shutdown, remove the power, disable/re-enable the device drivers from the Device Manager...

Gigabit eithernet supports autox (it is part of the 1000 base t protocol), I am sure 10/100 does not. why can't you just make a xover?

If 10/100 does not support autox, how could I possibly hook up a connection and have it work?

I could make a crossover cable, and buy more components, but what I have should suffice.

Honestly, I want to figure out why the standard ethernet cable stopped working. :)

Are you sure you're using a crossover cable with the connection you're using now? Honestly sounds as if you're drunk/high. Just my opinion.

I've never actually needed to use a crossover cable, and I'm 100% sure I don't even have one. I custom built all the cables I have.

I've never actually needed to use a crossover cable, and I'm 100% sure I don't even have one. I custom built all the cables I have.

Are the cables terminated correctly? Just asking.

You need a crossover cable. ;)

Hmmm I have to agree with shamrocker1, I tried to make sense out of your posts yet I don't understand what your problem is. You DON'T want to use crossover cables, BUT you don't have any crossover cables :s

I've had data transfer over a random ethernet cable between PCs. The connection came up as "limited or no connectivity" yet the transfer speeds were that of gigabit. I am not sure if any special cable is needed. Windows is pretty smart.

Are the cables terminated correctly? Just asking.

As I mentioned earlier, I have an RJ45 cable tester, and the cable is perfect.

Hmmm I have to agree with shamrocker1, I tried to make sense out of your posts yet I don't understand what your problem is. You DON'T want to use crossover cables, BUT you don't have any crossover cables :s

The whole point of my thread is: I used a standard ethernet cable to connect two computers and it worked perfectly, for a time, and then it stopped working. I don't have a crossover cable, but in this situation I shouldn't need one.

The whole point of my thread is: I used a standard ethernet cable to connect two computers and it worked perfectly, for a time, and then it stopped working. I don't have a crossover cable, but in this situation I shouldn't need one.

ok then:

1. it's not a standard ethernet cable, as stated before, PC to PC crossover is need, no other way it's going to work.

2. What OS are you using? If using Vista or 7, Maybe that's why it stopped working after it worked ( going by your words).

There is no way u have a "standard cable connecting your PC's". You need a crossover cable and the 2 PC's in the same work group to share. Plus setting up the shared folders/files.

You said you custom made your cables so why not just make a crossover and be done with it?

As for working for short period of time, it might be like using a switch instead of router for internet. A computer will work for short time, but if you have another attached, they'll basically fight for the connection and will stop working.

What is your reason for skipping your router anyway?

Edited by farmeunit

ok then:

1. it's not a standard ethernet cable, as stated before, PC to PC crossover is need, no other way it's going to work.

2. What OS are you using? If using Vista or 7, Maybe that's why it stopped working after it worked ( going by your words).

1. The cable I'm using, as all the cables I have made, is a standard ethernet cable.

The cable tester is simple. It has two parts, one for each end of the cable. You plug each end of the cable into a different end of the tester. Turn it on. You watch two sets of LEDs light up, in sequence, one side for each end of the cable. 1 though 8, representing the wires in the cable. If the lights match, you have a straight ethernet cable. I am 100% sure all my cables are straight ethernet cables.

2. I am not sure what the operating systems I'm using have to do with it, I just threw that out there in case it was relevant, as in maybe a software problem.

1. The cable I'm using, as all the cables I have made, is a standard ethernet cable.

The cable tester is simple. It has two parts, one for each end of the cable. You plug each end of the cable into a different end of the tester. Turn it on. You watch two sets of LEDs light up, in sequence, one side for each end of the cable. 1 though 8, representing the wires in the cable. If the lights match, you have a straight ethernet cable. I am 100% sure all my cables are straight ethernet cables.

2. I am not sure what the operating systems I'm using have to do with it, I just threw that out there in case it was relevant, as in maybe a software problem.

I give up.

Yeah. This just seems like one of those problems that may never be solved. :(

Hopefully someone knows the answer.

No. You just don't listen or grasp what you want to do.

There is no way u have a "standard cable connecting your PC's". You need a crossover cable and the 2 PC's in the same work group to share. Plus setting up the shared folders/files.
NO NO NO -- when will this DIE??? What workgroup machines are in have NOTHING to do with file sharing - NOTHING!! A workgroup is nothing more than a place holder for the browse list -- nothing more.

I have gone over this and over it -- have multiple posts with screen shots showing multiple machines all in different workgroups sharing files just fine.. The workgroup is not at all for file sharing.

As to the part I underlined -- not really true either.. If atleast 1 of the nics is gig, then more than likely it it supports Automatic MDI/MDI-X and a reg patch cable will work jut fine.

If he said it worked -- then atleast one of the nics are auto mdix, or he was using a crossover, or he is just plain confused and it never actually worked.

NO NO NO -- when will this DIE??? What workgroup machines are in have NOTHING to do with file sharing - NOTHING!! A workgroup is nothing more than a place holder for the browse list -- nothing more.

I have gone over this and over it -- have multiple posts with screen shots showing multiple machines all in different workgroups sharing files just fine.. The workgroup is not at all for file sharing.

As to the part I underlined -- not really true either.. If atleast 1 of the nics is gig, then more than likely it it supports Automatic MDI/MDI-X and a reg patch cable will work jut fine.

If he said it worked -- then atleast one of the nics are auto mdix, or he was using a crossover, or he is just plain confused and it never actually worked.

Both NICs are 10/100. I affirm, again, that that the cable is a standard ethernet cable, and the wires within the cable are not crossed. I am not confused. It was working for 3-4 hours and I was transferring files.

just do yourself a favor an buy or make a crossover cable. I actually have a stubby network cable that I split the data wires in the middle of the cable and just solder them as I need it to be crossover or regular, not hard and I'm sure will solve your problem