Starcraft 2 Beta

They're probably picking people with different specs, so there's no point in knowing the specs of who got chosen. They'll probably choose x-amount of people with low end computers, x-amount with mid-range PC's and x-amount with high-end PC's. Its would be a pretty stupid beta test if everyone had a similar setup.

I figured that was the case. Doesn't hurt to know which systems they chose though. :p

I figured that was the case. Doesn't hurt to know which systems they chose though. :p

Per a post in the SC2 beta forums on Battle.net, the system requirements are so old, my Mom's old *desktop* (P4 Northwood-B 2.4, 2 GB DDR400, X1650 PRO AGP, 7 x32 Ultimate) exceeds them.

And the only reason her even older LAPTOP (which is still running XP, albeit SP3) doesn't meet them is because of the hooptie Radeon 7500 graphics.

The system requirements are among the lowest for a modern (within the past two years) RTS (in fact, lower than the original Sins of a Solar Empire).

The system requirements hurdle is therefore the LEAST of your worries.

Per a post in the SC2 beta forums on Battle.net, the system requirements are so old, my Mom's old *desktop* (P4 Northwood-B 2.4, 2 GB DDR400, X1650 PRO AGP, 7 x32 Ultimate) exceeds them.

And the only reason her even older LAPTOP (which is still running XP, albeit SP3) doesn't meet them is because of the hooptie Radeon 7500 graphics.

The system requirements are among the lowest for a modern (within the past two years) RTS (in fact, lower than the original Sins of a Solar Empire).

The system requirements hurdle is therefore the LEAST of your worries.

It's not a worry about whether he or anyone can run the game or not, it's an interest in perhaps finding a pattern to Blizzard's selection process.

It's not a worry about whether he or anyone can run the game or not, it's an interest in perhaps finding a pattern to Blizzard's selection process.

For the first wave, it seems to be primarily those that have NO history playing SC on BattleNet (or don't own/haven't registered SC at all; I have a legit copy of Anthology but didn't make the first cut).

For the first wave, it seems to be primarily those that have NO history playing SC on BattleNet (or don't own/haven't registered SC at all; I have a legit copy of Anthology but didn't make the first cut).

First wave was primarily Blizzcon keys and with others randomly mixed in.

This.

First wave was primarily Blizzcon keys and with others randomly mixed in.

Interesting. Surely they'd want StarCraft veterans to play the game. I still haven't received an invitation yet, but I'm still hopeful.

My battle.net account has everything you can add on it, Starcraft, War3, WoW. They definitely aren't picking people who have no history playing Starcraft, it's probably just random based on samplings of system specs.

I hope the game balance is good.

Blizzard is creating the game with the biggest intention of balancing around professional tournaments. You can bet the balance will be good.

Interesting. Surely they'd want StarCraft veterans to play the game. I still haven't received an invitation yet, but I'm still hopeful.

I've heard they are focusing on mostly new players right now to see how the ranking and auto matching is working. Along with how things feel for new players. But with all these things, who knows how they are picking people.

As a person who has never played the original starcraft I find it frustrating as hell trying to play online. Everyone who has been playing the original for 10 (or whatever) years has a huge advantage and makes for an incredibly lame and frustrating experience.

As a person who has never played the original starcraft I find it frustrating as hell trying to play online. Everyone who has been playing the original for 10 (or whatever) years has a huge advantage and makes for an incredibly lame and frustrating experience.

That is going to be an issue with any RTS game, it should have at least put you in a ladder that is somewhat suited to your skill level. Did you play all of your 10 placement games?

Really though RTS games are hard to get into competitively just in general, there are certain skills that apply from game to game so people like me who have been playing RTS online since C&C probably will give you a hard time. This is why I can't get any of my friends into RTS, the barrier of entry is too high. The main things is focus on practicing how fast you can build up units and get a good build order to start the game with - don't hesitate to watch the replay of someone who beats you and copy their build order exactly, after a game or two of trying their build order you will start to customize it for your own needs and get a better understanding of the game. Much of the game is going to be simply copying the strategies that beat you until you get better and have a mix of strategies to choose from that you are good at.

Also if you can find someone to play 1v1 against you over and over that is usually an easier way to learn. You wont run into the random off the wall strats you see online so it is a better environment to learn through repetition.

Yeah just to try to play SupCom online and not get raped, good luck with that. Or Counter-Strike for that matter. Most people you see playing online are doing that all day, all the time; the casual players are probably doing something more useful of their time. So expect to get raped. I got half-decent at SC after years of playing, and I still lose most of my games. I expect that to remain true with Starcraft 2. Don't take it too hard on yourself unless you plan on playing professionally.

Have you guys seen the new integration of the Battle.net system? Looks to be a quality system that pits you against equal players and separates the "Pros" and "Amateurs" very quickly.

I am wondering what it takes to get moved to a new ladder, I am ranked 4th in mine right now and it is just a race of who wants to play the most games as far as who gets first, I was at first place on Saturday but I've been slacking since then. Also I'm curious if it matches you against people just from your ladder or everyone, when I was ranked 1st I would still go against people who were "favored" to win, I don't understand how that would make sense unless it is pulling people from other ladders.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I was in the process of doing my monthly password change on all of my accounts and stopped by my Battle.net account and saw this;

SC1.png

Haven't received any mails or nothing about it :/

But anyone who's not in, go check your Bnet account, maybe you got lucky :)

New wave of keys went out. Still no key...

Man, I've applied to so many closed betas and never gotten in one. My luck is extremely bad with everything. :(

i have played a few games however, I have to say that there is a major Problem with the Zerglings. Just sayin.

Haha, I was in the process of doing my monthly password change on all of my accounts and stopped by my Battle.net account and saw this;

Same here, awesome. (Y)

post-6186-12678124811797_thumb.jpg

GAH! I wish I get selected next wave. Ive played SC for about 3-4 years. First year i was all about 1v1 or teams and wasnt a pro but not a amateur. Then I discovered custom games and never left. Either 3v3 fastest on a big map or Something D lol.

Blizzard please invite me nao.

Woke up this morning to find an invite in my inbox. Would any like a game at some point?

Invite to starcraft beta?

I'll definitely have it if you don't want it. I'll be buying the game when it comes out.

SC1.png

I was about to post this. Same thing happened to me, never got an email, but logged on bnet and saw I was in.

Invite to starcraft beta?

I'll definitely have it if you don't want it. I'll be buying the game when it comes out.

Sorry, I meant to have a game online.

I only just opted in for betas on Battle NET so I really doubt I'll get picked now :laugh: