Starcraft 2 Beta

3/4 of those practice games have been vs Protoss wtfpwning me with a mothership and a bunch of carriers. I am bad at this game. XD

3/4 of those practice games have been vs Protoss wtfpwning me with a mothership and a bunch of carriers. I am bad at this game. XD

That's what most Protoss players do, unfortunately. sad.gif

Ok, REALLY BAD NEWS...

Apparently we "ran out of keys" tomorrow when the announcement was made.

Whats also funny, we RAN OUT OF KEYS, @ the time of the announcement... lmao. We sold like 15 keys in the morning and all of a sudden, no keys. The manager checks the email, and it says the whole database is out of keys..

Em..... IRONIC? Yes I do think so. I think blizzard pulled them because you can still get one on Amazon.

Just had a friend pre order like 10 mins ago, got a key already...

Damn Blizzard.

So, SORRY GUYS! I had some printed out, but they found my stash :(.

Thanks a lot for trying bro :)

That's what most Protoss players do, unfortunately. sad.gif

Out of my +50 career wins in Platinum/Gold, I've only come across a couple of Protoss players that used the Mothership/Carrier combo. And both me and my ally play as Protoss exclusively and we don't use it at all. Most games don't reach the point where players can produce enough advanced air units (like Carriers) to actually do any harm. If a game ever reaches that point, most players will "snipe" (focus fire) each Carrier. The same applies to the Terran Battlecruiser.

Out of my +50 career wins in Platinum/Gold, I've only come across a couple of Protoss players that used the Mothership/Carrier combo. And both me and my ally play as Protoss exclusively and we don't use it at all. Most games don't reach the point where players can produce enough advanced air units (like Carriers) to actually do any harm. If a game ever reaches that point, most players will "snipe" (focus fire) each Carrier. The same applies to the Terran Battlecruiser.

Yea, same thing here. From like ~50 games I've played so far, I've only seen one guy that used Mothership and/or Carriers.

I guess I'm a special case then. unsure.gif

Well, to be honest I haven't seen it happen that often as of lately, but when I first started playing that's all I encountered.

The mothership/carrier combo is a FAIL.

in 15 minutes you can get advanced units like carriers/brood lords/bc's. So i dont know what you guys (anaron, etc) are playing but if you defend the early rush well, people start building.

I take advantage of that. Im out of my micro phase, so me and a buddy roll btiches now. We go in, full hydras and voids. Today I had 48 voids i believe. From 87 - 200 population i had all voids and 5 observers.

Let me tell you, the mothership came in, focused fire, owned in 2 seconds, carriers died.

If your a native SC player, ALWAYS FOCUS FIRE with your units. I dont care if its all ground units like zeas, or carriers. if you have 48 of something aiming at 1 target, on and on, it goes faster.

I owned a whole ********(~75) hydras, with my Voids, lost 5... That never happens because hydras have the advantage.

He was 3-3. I was 3-3-3(air atk, air arm, plasma shields).

Let me tell you, he did not like me when i rolled in his base and i think it took 30 seconds and his whole base was done.

---------------

GOOD NEWS

WE GOT MORE KEYS! But they are STRICT RESERVE ONLY. We cant print them off, ANY OF US. Doesnt matter if we are on dial up or not, this keys are the "new reserves" so there keeping a number on how many reserves we get. Before they didnt care if we printed them off becuase it was easier to give someone a key that already had it reserve, then cancel there pre order and re preorder it.

Anyway, ANYONE WANT A KEY GO GRAB IT. I unfortunately cant get any or then i get in trouble.

Weird i got an email from Blizzard saying i got into the beta, but when I go into my battle.net account, the game isn't listed for download. I emailed Blizzard and still waiting for a reply. I checked with a few other people and it seems like this is an issue with many people who got an email from them yesterday.

Weird i got an email from Blizzard saying i got into the beta, but when I go into my battle.net account, the game isn't listed for download. I emailed Blizzard and still waiting for a reply. I checked with a few other people and it seems like this is an issue with many people who got an email from them yesterday.

All the invites I've been given have come with a key in the email that I have to add to my account. It's possible that opt-in is done differently but are you sure there's nothing there?

I got I'm beta by preordering. Tried it but I have no clue how to play. Don't they have a tutorial ?

We go in, full hydras and voids. Today I had 48 voids i believe. From 87 - 200 population i had all voids and 5 observers.

Let me tell you, the mothership came in, focused fire, owned in 2 seconds, carriers died.

If your a native SC player, ALWAYS FOCUS FIRE with your units. I dont care if its all ground units like zeas, or carriers. if you have 48 of something aiming at 1 target, on and on, it goes faster.

I owned a whole ********(~75) hydras, with my Voids, lost 5... That never happens because hydras have the advantage.

Let me tell you, he did not like me when i rolled in his base and i think it took 30 seconds and his whole base was done.

I was wondering how effective Voids are against enemy players.....I am somewhat afraid to go play against people cause I suck at microing and there are just too many hard counters for me to learn. In SC whenever I played Protoss I always went mass carriers which worked well, and while it works well against the computer in SC2 (so far that is), I do not think enemy players would give me the time required to take such a route.

That being said, played the computer 1v2 with around 24 Voids and 12 of the anti-air (forgot their name) aircraft for extra air support, but I just walked through both enemies only losing a couple voids. It seemed like void rays are insanely overpowered if you focus fire, and once they charge up to the third damage level, they just walk through any single units in half a second (except maybe BCs and other high-health units, but those still last maybe only 2 seconds or so).

I got I'm beta by preordering. Tried it but I have no clue how to play. Don't they have a tutorial ?

The best you can do is play against the computer a few times to learn the game. Being the Beta, you can only play against "Very Easy" computers, and only 2 (I think) max, but it will help you get an idea of how to play the game. You can even handicap yourself (not sure what it does TBH, never played around with it) to make it more challenging until you feel you are doing good.

As for the trailer, did anyone notice in one of the screens that appeared they show both Medics and Firebats in the single-player campaign? So does the Single Player bring back some old units, or is that footage of a much older build when they were still looking at some of the older SC units? I have a feeling that Single Player offers more units because, from what we have heard, it is not linear in a sense where you build a base and kill the enemy, but I could definitely see them using some of the older units not available in normal online play to help vary the possibilities in single player. Beyond that, having those units in the game to begin with gives map makers more units to use for things like RPG style custom maps.

Well the tutorial is meant to be the single player campaign. But of course the beta is only for the multiplayer features. An easy way to to familiarize yourself with the game is watching replays with commentary since they tend to explain what is going on. HDStarcraft or HuskyStarcraft are good places to do this.

Husky also posted some basic opening build orders for each race.

All the invites I've been given have come with a key in the email that I have to add to my account. It's possible that opt-in is done differently but are you sure there's nothing there?

I got no key in the email, the email just tells me:

SUBJECT: StarCraft? II: Wings of Liberty? Beta Test InvitationarCraft? II: Wings of Liberty? Beta Test Invitation

Congratulations! You've been selected to participate in the beta test of StarCraft? II: Wings of Liberty?.

Both the PC and Mac versions of the beta client are now available. Simply select your preferred version when you go through the installation process outlined below.

As a beta test participant, you'll have the chance to experience the multiplayer gameplay of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and explore the social-networking, matchmaking, and other new features of the revamped Battle.net? online-gaming service. Throughout the StarCraft II beta, you'll be able to take part in cooperative and competitive battles as the terrans, protoss, and zerg -- and at the same time, you'll be helping us test the stability of the Battle.net service and fine-tune the game balance prior to launch. We look forward to hearing your feedback, and we'll see you on Battle.net!

Getting Started:

1. Get the Installer - Log in to your Battle.net account. In your list of games, click the "Manage Game" button under the StarCraft II beta image to download the installer. You can select PC or Mac from this interface.

2. Install the StarCraft II Beta - Once you've downloaded the installer, run it and follow the directions to install the beta client on your machine. Note that your participation in the StarCraft II beta test is governed by a Beta Test Agreement that you are required to accept before you can install the beta client.

3. Run the Game & Log in to Battle.net - After the game installs, the launcher interface should automatically appear on your screen. Log in with your Battle.net account and you'll be able to begin playing. You can launch the client at any time by clicking the desktop shortcut or by going to the Windows? Start Menu.

Any questions? Check out the FAQ.

Please retain this email for your records. If you experience any issues setting up your Battle.net account, please contact Blizzard Entertainment Account Services via webform at https://us.blizzard....ml?locale=en_US or email at beta.accountsupport@us.battle.net.

Sending Feedback:

Once you've had a chance to play, we want to hear your thoughts! Please share your feedback by posting on our StarCraft II Beta Forums. The game is still a work in progress, and one of the purposes of the beta test is to identify any issues and improve the player experience before the game ships. We encourage you to report any in-game issues you experience via these forums.

Troubleshooting:

If you run into any difficulties installing the StarCraft II beta client, please contact Blizzard Entertainment technical support either by posting on the appropriate forum at http://forums.battle...352527&sid=5000, via webform at https://us.blizzard....ml?locale=en_US, or by email at beta.techsupport@us.battle.net.

** IMPORTANT ** To avoid graphical bugs and other technical issues, please ensure your video card drivers are up-to-date.

Enjoy the game!

blizzard fail.. They tell me to login to my battle.net account and sc2 beta should be under the manage my games area and it isn't...

blizzard fail.. They tell me to login to my battle.net account and sc2 beta should be under the manage my games area and it isn't...

Glad I am not the only one..

The mothership/carrier combo is a FAIL.

in 15 minutes you can get advanced units like carriers/brood lords/bc's. So i dont know what you guys (anaron, etc) are playing but if you defend the early rush well, people start building.

I take advantage of that. Im out of my micro phase, so me and a buddy roll btiches now. We go in, full hydras and voids. Today I had 48 voids i believe. From 87 - 200 population i had all voids and 5 observers.

---------------

[...]

In most of the games I've played, the game was done in 15 minutes or less. My buddy and I always harass the enemy's mineral line as well as their expansions. We don't let them build up the resources to produce an army of Carriers/Battlecruisers. If they rush early, we defend and counter-attack which usually results in a win for us. Same thing applies to harass rushes (e.g. Reaper rush). I defend it with quick Stalkers and my ally and I proceed to take out the Terran that attacked us initially. Sometimes, my ally would sit at the foot of the other enemy's base and spam force fields at their ramp so they can't bring in reinforcements for the player we're attacking.

48 Void Rays? Damn. I've never seen that many in-game. The most I've seen are 12, maybe 24. As for focus firing, I only do that when massive units are in play or if I'm going against a large army of ranged units (with ranged units). If it's a large army of melee units against melee units, I let them duke it out as it's pointless to focus fire with units like that unless you outnumber the enemy.

I was wondering how effective Voids are against enemy players.....I am somewhat afraid to go play against people cause I suck at microing and there are just too many hard counters for me to learn. In SC whenever I played Protoss I always went mass carriers which worked well, and while it works well against the computer in SC2 (so far that is), I do not think enemy players would give me the time required to take such a route.

That being said, played the computer 1v2 with around 24 Voids and 12 of the anti-air (forgot their name) aircraft for extra air support, but I just walked through both enemies only losing a couple voids. It seemed like void rays are insanely overpowered if you focus fire, and once they charge up to the third damage level, they just walk through any single units in half a second (except maybe BCs and other high-health units, but those still last maybe only 2 seconds or so).

[...]

Void Rays can be effective in large numbers; however, they're more effective early game (especially against Zerg). If you can get a Void Ray early on against a Zerg player, you pretty much won the game (in a 1v1 scenario). Most of the time, the only anti-air unit the Zerg player has is a Queen. The drawback is that you'll have a weaker ground army because of the cost of building a Stargate as well as multiple Void Rays.

As for the trailer, did anyone notice in one of the screens that appeared they show both Medics and Firebats in the single-player campaign? So does the Single Player bring back some old units, or is that footage of a much older build when they were still looking at some of the older SC units? I have a feeling that Single Player offers more units because, from what we have heard, it is not linear in a sense where you build a base and kill the enemy, but I could definitely see them using some of the older units not available in normal online play to help vary the possibilities in single player. Beyond that, having those units in the game to begin with gives map makers more units to use for things like RPG style custom maps.

Yes, of course. Those classic units will only be playable in the Terran single-player campaign. You'll be able to choose certain upgrade paths that fit your play style. The Terran units we've seen in MP are newer (with regard to the storyline).

Yes, of course. Those classic units will only be playable in the Terran single-player campaign. You'll be able to choose certain upgrade paths that fit your play style. The Terran units we've seen in MP are newer (with regard to the storyline).

Gotcha, didn't quite understand why they were showing Medics and Firebats when they were non-existent in MP. Pretty cool though, having even more overall units to play with and use for the singleplayer, guess I just never paid enough attention to the single player details to know they were bringing in some of the older units.

RESULT: Tie :laugh:

Happens when Battle.net shuts down before the match ends.

ff2361.png

RESULT: Tie :laugh:

Happens when Battle.net shuts down before the match ends.

<Snipped>

I have one too, from several hours ago. :p

I had only one Hiv, few Drones and several Zerglings, with the speed upgrade, left, while the other player had around a dozen Zealots, but no Nexus or Probes, and only a few Gateways and Pylons. I was beating the crap of his buildings, while he was searching around the map for my Hive and the few buildings I had built around the map.

But sadly, Battle.Net was turned off. :(

Finally got promoted to 2v2 Platinum League. Instantly went to rank 9 after being rank 1 in 2v2 Gold League for so long. :D