Why I Ditched Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120%

It is surprising how much it costs for the signing, and seems somewhat extortionate. I don't know much about this subject, but what has this got to do with Verison, and why is it so much, do they check every x64 driver before it is released?

Someone who is interested in coding a malicious driver for Windows would, I imagine, be highly turned off, to have to pay Microsoft $500 to thoroughly check their driver and digitally sign it. This is one of the benefits of using a 64bit operating system.

Same.. but using Alcohol 52% ATM (Latest SPTD) solves problems with slow burning speeds/burning errors...

Plus it has ACID Wizard so I can play my backups without wrecking the original CD :)

Kinda sad, I was trying to point out a fresh open source tool and it's getting dominated by nominations for other tools :/. Ah well.

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/drvs.png

i looked at the screenshot on their page, what is tortoise bazaar tortoisesvn etc from the menu. It is not clear to me if this program installs those entrys to the right click menu.

i looked at the screenshot on their page, what is tortoise bazaar tortoisesvn etc from the menu. It is not clear to me if this program installs those entrys to the right click menu.

Tortoise SVN and tortoise bazaar are version control programs often used by developers.

Although I haven't installed this it I would be willing to put money on it they are not installed with this program, and neither program is harmful anyway.

It..........doesn't.

This is called Google. It takes 3 seconds to use; http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=tortoise%20SVN&aq=f&aqi=&oq=. Why on earth would an SVN app be installed with an image mounting program?

If you notice, the context menu only has the entry "Eject" highlighted. That should have been a clue. I hope that wasn't your reason for not trying it :/

Seems a nice app but it doesn't work on 64bit. I use VirtualCloneDrive on Win7 x64, it's 1.47MB and supports the same image formats but the pluspoint being you can right cliick and unmount the image which doesn't seem like you can with WinCDEmu.

does daemon tools still not work on win7?

it does work on windows 7 at one point it didn't work right but that's been fixed

It..........doesn't.

This is called Google. It takes 3 seconds to use; http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=tortoise%20SVN&aq=f&aqi=&oq=. Why on earth would an SVN app be installed with an image mounting program?

If you notice, the context menu only has the entry "Eject" highlighted. That should have been a clue. I hope that wasn't your reason for not trying it :/

well im not a developer and if someone is trying to advertise their new product they should do so in a way to avoid confusion, especially since its new and there are well established alternatives out there. Perhaps im in the minority but i do care what a program adds to the right click menu, toolbars etc.

The 'Eject' entry has nothing to do with the software, this is from the OS.

Tortoise SVN and tortoise bazaar are version control programs often used by developers.

Although I haven't installed this it I would be willing to put money on it they are not installed with this program, and neither program is harmful anyway.

Thanks for the clarification

All these is good but Alcohol120% is alot more then just a virtual drive so you cant actually compare this tiny program with alcohol.

If you are just lookink for a virtual drive Slysoft Virtual Clone Drive is the way to go.

I prefer Alcohol 52%. It's freeware and has all the same features of Alcohol 120% except it's limited to 6 virtual drives. Works fine on Win7 x64. It can also rip protected audio cds directly to mp3 with the free plugin and they recently added the ability to make/burn images from files/folders, not just imaging from a disc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first virtual drive program was Alcohol 120%, that was almost 10 years ago. Quickly switched to Daemon Tools Lite, tried switching to other ones, love it too much.

Tired of Daemon Tools as well so I read on... sadly I'm on 64bit.

However, I went to their website and saw this:

Thankfully to your donations, the required amount of 500$ has been successfully collected. VeriSign will be contacted soon and after the certificate is issued, a free signed version of WinCDEmu will be released.

Can't wait :)

I'm using Virtual Clone Drive ever since the first build of Win 7 leaked online. Today I really can't see why I was using DTools in the past. VCD is great, it's free, doesn't come with stupid toolbars or something and it does the job fine. If you want emulation, then stick to DTools or Alcohool. :)

Hello,

It looks like SysProgs received enough donations to get a code-signing license from VeriSign, so they should have a signed version out soon, hopefully.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add that the 64bit version is coming soon. The money has been raised and the signing process has begun.

The 'Eject' entry has nothing to do with the software, this is from the OS.

The "Eject" entry has EVERYthing to do with the software. WinCDEmu has no UI. You mount images by right-clicking them and mounting, and you unmount by right-clicking the virtual-drive and clicking eject. It is quite possibly the most nonintrusive software you can add to Windows.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Virtual CD for a long time now and it works great, haven't had any problems with it and it also works in the right click select drive letter fashion plus it works on windows 7 x64 :D