Why I Ditched Daemon Tools/Alcohol 120%

• 2 weeks later...

So I just don'y understand 1 thing, what's wrong with daemon tools? I'm using it all the time and never had any problems :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

IMO Virtual CloneDrive is the best and the lightest.

Being "best" is an opinion. Being "lightest" is not. Virtual CloneDrive is very nice, I used it up until WinCDEmu was signed (as per Sirtuin's post a little while ago). It is definitely the lightest.

Will this app allow you to use copy protected ISO files? I got a couple of old games (like early 2000's old) that I dont want the cd/dvds scratched and I made ISO files with them. While the games themselves work great in windows 7 surprisingly considering the age of them, I just want to protect the cd/dvds from scratches by using ISO files instead. I know many of the virtual drive apps out there can get around these, I just wanted to know if this could do this as well, so I could get rid of some of the bloat on my system.

Sweet, I'll check this out, if only for the quick mount/un-mount feature. No funny jokes :laugh: :whistle:

Im gonna try this WinCDEmu now , been using VirtualCloneDrive which is definitely better than the free solutions offered by alcohol or daemon

edit : wincdemu is epic :D

Im gonna try this WinCDEmu now , been using VirtualCloneDrive which is definitely better than the free solutions offered by alcohol or daemon

edit : wincdemu is epic :D

VirtualCloneDrive doesn't support some formats, does wincdemu support all?

+1

deamon tools use to be good now its bloatware

How is the light version of DT bloatware ? because it's got a nice tray menu ? or the optional desktop gadget ?

DT is light, at least light enough I don't need anything lighter, I know it works and is stable. it's well integrated with shell menus and tray menus for easy access to everything. and on my mediacenter MEdiaPortal talks with DT to auto mount iso files. Something it doesn't do with anything else so I'm gonna stick with DT since it works, and does everything I need. and I don't see any bloat.

How is the light version of DT bloatware ? because it's got a nice tray menu ? or the optional desktop gadget ?

DT is light, at least light enough I don't need anything lighter, I know it works and is stable. it's well integrated with shell menus and tray menus for easy access to everything. and on my mediacenter MEdiaPortal talks with DT to auto mount iso files. Something it doesn't do with anything else so I'm gonna stick with DT since it works, and does everything I need. and I don't see any bloat.

i was speaking about when it dt frist came into ver 4 the lite version was ad supported, guess it isn't anymore? and i always had problems with the driver signing on x64 with it; is that fixed cuz i gave up on dt and used virtual clone drive for the last 2 years

Never had any problems with DT and driver signing, during the win7 beta it wasn't available but after launch they had it ready quite fast.

As for ad supported, well there an optional tool bar thing during install you just say no to. something I don't have an issue with since I understand that even programmers need to eat, and it is purely optionaland it's a great piece of software.

Interesting find, I've been using SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive in-place of Daemon Tools Lite for some time now (only switched because ImgBurn stopped burning correctly). I will definitely check this out. Thanks ;)

I am also using VirtualCloneDrive.

Will this app allow you to use copy protected ISO files? I got a couple of old games (like early 2000's old) that I dont want the cd/dvds scratched and I made ISO files with them. While the games themselves work great in windows 7 surprisingly considering the age of them, I just want to protect the cd/dvds from scratches by using ISO files instead. I know many of the virtual drive apps out there can get around these, I just wanted to know if this could do this as well, so I could get rid of some of the bloat on my system.

why not just use no-cd cracks?

I have been waiting for years for a decent freeware non-crippleware (crippled like Daemon Tools Lite/ Alcohol 52%) mounting application. WinCDEmu has stepped up to the call and a bonus it's not only freeware but free as in libre being open source! Kudos to the WinCDEmu devs. I will never long again for DT or Alcohol's products.

Yeah I just switched to WinCDEmu Now that there is a working 64bit version. Great little app.

why not just use no-cd cracks?

Well if its a multiplayer game or something no cd cracks can cause issues with cheat protection and such.

I have been waiting for years for a decent freeware non-crippleware (crippled like Daemon Tools Lite/ Alcohol 52%) mounting application. WinCDEmu has stepped up to the call and a bonus it's not only freeware but free as in libre being open source! Kudos to the WinCDEmu devs. I will never long again for DT or Alcohol's products.

of course, the crippled DT lite, does everyting WinCDEmu does and then some... so why where you waiting ?

of course, the crippled DT lite, does everyting WinCDEmu does and then some... so why where you waiting ?

You know, it's obvious that you don't want to switch, so why not stop hassling the people in here who do want to use it?

All I need in mounting software is to be able to mount, and unmounted. And apparently, I'm not alone with that. So therefore, this app does what I want, and consequently, it does what they want. This is open and shut, so if you could politely refrain from the DT stuff, that would be nice :)