Get free TV channels from the Internet line?

Hi,

My friend use his MediaCom internet connection to get free TV channels by using a splitter for his TV in the basement.

I was trying to do the same but the my internet is through telephone jack and his is through cable.

I use Qwest. Is there a way to get free channels from my internet.

If he has a coaxial cable connected to his computer (from the wall and not a cable modem), he most likely has a TV tuner installed on his computer. A TV tuner is just a video card-like device you can install into your computer so that you can utilize cable signals on your PC.

TV tuners are basically cable boxes within your PC. They work almost identically and offer very few pros aside from convenience.

Hi,

My friend use his MediaCom internet connection to get free TV channels by using a splitter for his TV in the basement.

I was trying to do the same but the my internet is through telephone jack and his is through cable.

There's many free video sites like Hulu you can use, but none come close to cable or satellite tv.

Hi,

its really simple, MediaCom is a cable television provider, and Quest is a telephone company. they both offer internet access.

there are quite a few ways for him to get television out of his coax feed, such as getting a double or triple play deal that combines basic analog cable television (20 to 40 channels) with basic cable internet, or defeating the filter that disables those basic-tier channels.

either way he uses a splitter because his cable modem hooks to the same place a cable-ready TV would and uses the same coax network. one thing is for sure, if its connected to a TV in his basement, its not coming thru his internet connection.

its really simple, MediaCom is a cable television provider, and Quest is a telephone company. they both offer internet access.

there are quite a few ways for him to get television out of his coax feed, such as getting a double or triple play deal that combines basic analog cable television (20 to 40 channels) with basic cable internet, or defeating the filter that disables those basic-tier channels.

either way he uses a splitter because his cable modem hooks to the same place a cable-ready TV would and uses the same coax network. one thing is for sure, if its connected to a TV in his basement, its not coming thru his internet connection.

So that means with qwest I wont be able to get the free basic channels?

or defeating the filter that disables those basic-tier channels.

In Mediacom's case they use old technology, so it's as simple as climbing a ladder and removing the inline filters on the utility pole. Some of their filters block channels, other filters allow them. No tools needed, the filters just screw together with standard coax fittings.

So that means with qwest I wont be able to get the free basic channels?

exactly, unless whoever lived there before you had cable and you feel like...

In Mediacom's case they use old technology, so it's as simple as climbing a ladder and removing the inline filters on the utility pole. Some of their filters block channels, other filters allow them. No tools needed, the filters just screw together with standard coax fittings.

^^ climbing a ladder with a wrench between yer teeth

how it used to be all around was, filters for the "low" and "family pack" channels and company-rented analog de-scrambler boxes for "premium" stuff.

--

i remember my cheater box and 'free' HBO that i had to manually tune using a second set of up-down buttons on my remote. i miss my cheater box but i'm not interested in HBO anymore :(