Opera voted the Best Desktop browser

I don't see how anyone can publish lists like 'Top 10 something' or 'BEST of something' list. Everyone has different needs, and there are different products that cater to specific needs. These types of lists are just nothing but stupid. When will people learn to stop making these stupid lists?

Oh and I'm not a fanboy of any browser, I use opera/firefox equally :p I happen to like both browser for different reasons.

I don't see how anyone can publish lists like 'Top 10 something' or 'BEST of something' list. Everyone has different needs, and there are different products that cater to specific needs. These types of lists are just nothing but stupid. When will people learn to stop making these stupid lists?

Oh and I'm not a fanboy of any browser, I use opera/firefox equally :p I happen to like both browser for different reasons.

It's a good way to generate traffic. These kind of lists always generates discussion, as already happened here.

But yeah, there is no best. Best is up to the person like you say.

Is it just me or does Opera 10.5 look exactly like what Firefox is doing with 4.0 ? Just looks like they did it "first"

I must say I used to be a firefox fanboy, LOVED IT!! Then Chrome got extensions and I use it full time right now, but I HATE the look of chrome.

I am going to give Opera 10.5 a download and see what the fuss is about.

As Firefox always does... it copied Opera.

As Firefox always does... it copied Opera.

Can you demonstrate five indisputable areas were Firefox copied from Opera?

Because unless Firefox uses the EXACT SAME source code, it's not a copy.

It's a good way to generate traffic.??These kind of lists always generates discussion, as already happened here.

But yeah, there is no best.??Best is up to the person like you say.

Which is what the poll showed.

Can you demonstrate five indisputable areas were Firefox copied from Opera?

Because unless Firefox uses the EXACT SAME source code, it's not a copy.

Are you serious?

eff the speed, it's all about:

- Built in mouse gestures that actually work

- Opera sync (keeps my bookmarks, searches, history, etc. synchronized across my browser in Windows and my browser in Linux and my cell phone's browser, plus I can access all of them online from any computer), plus if I reformat I don't need to worry about backing up these things

- The beautiful interface

- Speed dial

- Custom searches from any search box anywhere

- Single letter shortcuts for them

- Private tabs (as opposed to private windows)

I could go on, but you get the point, and you get all of this out of the box without relying on sloppily written extensions.

I can see your point.

I'm going to have to agree with others though, it all depends on the user.

I personally don't use the features you mentioned and again 'the beautiful interface' is all down to opinion.

Is it just me or does Opera 10.5 look exactly like what Firefox is doing with 4.0 ? Just looks like they did it "first"

I must say I used to be a firefox fanboy, LOVED IT!! Then Chrome got extensions and I use it full time right now, but I HATE the look of chrome.

I am going to give Opera 10.5 a download and see what the fuss is about.

Really the top left button is the only similarity...

lol best browser? But barely anyone uses it?

funny.

Amount of users doesn't determine how good a program is. Look at how many people use iTunes on windows :p

I absolutely love the new Opera build. VS Chrome, it's now a pretty tough call. Here's from the POV of Opera:

+ When maximized, there is some room between the tabs and the top of the screen, making it much easier to pick up the whole window (for moving/resizing) than with Chrome

+ Smooth scrolling

+ The recycle bin is a better scheme for restoring tabs than Chrome's implementation

+ Much better integration in Windows 7: tabs appear in the superbar juste like IE8 does, download progress appears too.

+ Gotta love searching Wikipedia by typing "w [search terms]". This is by default!

+ It's not made by Google

- Chrome's speed dial is automatic, and works very well. With Opera, more micromanagement.

- Stop asking me where I want to save files! This is especially annoying when downloading a large number of small files. I don't care if this is buried somewhere in the options, it should be default.

- The download page is not as intuitive as Chrome's.

- The red square Opera menu seems out-of-place and generally the menus are more confusing that Chrome's.

- To make a tab into its own window, I have to drag it out of its original window. If the window is maximized this is especially aggravating. Chrome had nailed this at release, come on!

:fun:

Amount of users doesn't determine how good a program is. Look at how many people use iTunes on windows :p

I'll agree with you there. A lot of people use Internet Explorer too. Doesn't make it good.

Opera's all well and good on Windows (and I suppose Linux), but on OS X it's god awful, so it definitely wouldn't be getting my vote. Firefox is just as bad, so it really would've come down to Chrome or Safari for me (had I known about the poll :p). I probably would've chosen Safari though.

Long live WebKit! :D

This is the first you see when you start Opera 10.50 in French for the first time:

operastartup.png

So deliciously ironic :laugh:

ive seen a few times where opera couldnt load its own site correctly. And 10.5 is pretty unstable imo. Its fast yes, but nothing special. With a brand new browser(Chrome) coming out and offering extensions and being more stable, i gotta wonder why opera even tries.

Are you serious?

Yes, I am. Please show five indisputable areas where Firefox *COPIED* from Opera, as you or someone else put it.

Tabbed browsing, for example, was first seen in NetCopter back in 1997. It didn't appear in Opera until v5 in 2000. Opera didn't pioneer the feature, nor did Firefox, IE, etc. *COPY* the feature. It was a great idea that eventually made its way into all the major browsers. What I'm asking is to demonstrate ideas that were 100% created by Opera that Firefox later exactly copied.

This is the first you see when you start Opera 10.50 in French for the first time:

operastartup.png

So deliciously ironic :laugh:

That's beyond ridiculous. :laugh: That's enough reason for me not to use it.

That's beyond ridiculous. :laugh: That's enough reason for me not to use it.

Except it looks fine here. Could be a French language specific bug with the webpage?

I used to like Opera in the 8.x days.

After their hissy fit with the EU over the browser ballot, I'll not touch their software again.

ive seen a few times where opera couldnt load its own site correctly. And 10.5 is pretty unstable imo. Its fast yes, but nothing special. With a brand new browser(Chrome) coming out and offering extensions and being more stable, i gotta wonder why opera even tries.

Sadly I kinda Agree, I've been an avid opera user since around opera 6-7. All the versions have always been faster, better (IMO) than Firefox and IE in almost every way, 10.5 "feels" faster than the last official chrome. But I see opera disappearing in the next 2 years. :no: Competition is good for everyone I guess...

After their hissy fit with the EU over the browser ballot, I'll not touch their software again.

I guess you won't be using Firefox or Chrome either?

I just don't get why people think "it's all Opera's fault". Scapegoats just ain't fun.

Did you guys try CTRL-F in Opera? I'm not perfectly sure it's new as of 10.50, but DAMN it looks awesome.

I don't, use / slash button it's the same and yes it is awesome !