Opera voted the Best Desktop browser

Yes, I am. Please show five indisputable areas where Firefox *COPIED* from Opera, as you or someone else put it.

I was talking about your claim that only 100% identical code is a copy.

I don' care who copies who as long as it is not a total rip-off.

Except it looks fine here. Could be a French language specific bug with the webpage?

Yes it's just the French site as I can see.

I used to like Opera in the 8.x days.

After their hissy fit with the EU over the browser ballot, I'll not touch their software again.

Your loss I guess.

I guess you won't be using Firefox or Chrome either?

I just don't get why people think "it's all Opera's fault". Scapegoats just ain't fun.

They're not my personal preference, but I do use Firefox on occasion and generally have a good opinion of the software. Chrome seems too basic to me and looks bad without Aero, but it has its place and I've been impressed with their adoption of modern security features.

And it pretty much is "Opera's fault". They pushed for the ballot, they put their name front and center in the press every chance they got, and even cried because Microsoft put them last in the list due to their miniscule market share. It just strikes me as a desperate bid for attention, crying for help from the government instead of competing like everybody else. It's really not a respectable practice. By not using it, I'm casting my "ballot" in favor of Opera fading back into obscurity.

please, someone pull me off of firefox! i want to change....but...i....cant....the...extensions ffs!

I'm the same here! AdBlock Plus for Opera isn't the same as with Firefox, and I don't think there's a DownThemAll! for Opera yet.

Did you guys try CTRL-F in Opera? I'm not perfectly sure it's new as of 10.50, but DAMN it looks awesome.

Has the look and feel of how searching has worked in Safari since 3.x.

Fast loading, but after adding my blocking filters it has become sluggish. When clicking on a page that has not loaded yet with a few flash animations it crashes!

Still cannot see any like my beloved ffox addons.

Nice though!

I'm the same here! AdBlock Plus for Opera isn't the same as with Firefox, and I don't think there's a DownThemAll! for Opera yet.

A work around would be to use the Links Panel, and select all the links that u want to download, i.e., downloading all pdf files, u can use the search bar presented to you for filtering (.pdf, .mp3, etc), select the links, one by one or by Ctrl-A, and use "Save to Download Folder"

It's not as good as DownthemAll!, but still an acceptable work around IMO.

I always give Opera a chance, I love the mobile version :p but I just don't like the Windows version, not even 10.5 :(

I've pretty much made Opera 10.5 my browser of choice now, only using Firefox for a few choice things.

One thing that does bug me is that Facebook chats seem to reload everytime something happens, which is very unsightly.

Sure it's fast but that doesn't mean it's overall the best web browser.

The "best browser" is determined by personal taste and needs. There is no objectively best browser for everyone.

While in my opinion Opera 10.50 is, indeed, the best browser out there (hell it's the browser I use), I can't help but feel that Opera fanboys passed around this link to their friends.

So did Firefox fans. But so what? There were more than 20K votes in the desktop browser category.

I'm actually surprised that Opera won. Mozilla even posted the link on their official blog, and Opera still won. Even more surprising is that Firefox has usually been quite organized in getting fans to do marketing related activities. Looks like Opera is now leveraging its user base similar to what Firefox did when it started seeing growth.

Seems like some people don't like it when Opera does it. But it was fine when Mozilla was doing the same thing back when SpreadFirefox was all the rage?

Not at all. Just pointing out the facts.

Oh, come on. There's nothing wrong with copying good stuff from other browsers. And besides, Firefox's biggest innovation is extensions. That was an awesome move on their part. Sure you could download addons and such for IE, but Firefox really took it to the next level. That was Firefox's major innovation, and a damn good one too.

lol best browser? But barely anyone uses it?

Opera does have 50 million desktop users (and another 50 million Opera Mini users). Not too bad for a small and independent company without the massive resources of Google at their disposal.

ive seen a few times where opera couldnt load its own site correctly.

I have never seen that. The screenshot the other guy posted looked more like a problem with caching. Some old style sheet still being cached by Opera and not aligning with the new design. That, or they messed up the style in general, and it's the page that is broken. It isn't Opera that fails on the page, it's the page that will fail in all browsers.

But I see opera disappearing in the next 2 years.

Why on earth would Opera disappear when it has consistently grown since it became a free download? Opera's desktop revenue has been increasing 50-100% every year. There is no risk what so ever of Opera disappearing.

Never mind Opera's nearly 30% market share in the mobile browser market...

After their hissy fit with the EU over the browser ballot, I'll not touch their software again.

What hissy fit over the browser ballot? The ballot screen was proposed by Microsoft! Jesus, people, doesn't anyone bother to educate themselves about the facts anymore?

But you will presumably not use Firefox or Chrome either since they joined the complaint? And not IE since Microsoft has filed antitrust complaints against Google?

Just checking to see if you are being consistent or a hypocrite...

And it pretty much is "Opera's fault". They pushed for the ballot, they put their name front and center in the press every chance they got, and even cried because Microsoft put them last in the list due to their miniscule market share. It just strikes me as a desperate bid for attention, crying for help from the government instead of competing like everybody else. It's really not a respectable practice. By not using it, I'm casting my "ballot" in favor of Opera fading back into obscurity.

Wow, the amount of fail here is amazing.

1. It isn't Opera's fault that Microsoft broke the law
  2. The ballot screen was proposed by Microsoft
  3. Opera doesn't have the power to push for anything
  4. They didn't put their name in the press. The press contacted Opera. Should Opera refuse to answer specific questions from the press about the crime they reported to the authorities?
  5. Mozilla and many others also criticized the static ballot screen. Why should one not criticize something that is obviously flawed?
  6. Google has filed antitrust complaints against Microsoft. Will you stop using Google's search, Gmail, etc.?
  7. Microsoft has filed antitrust complaints against Google. Will you stop using Windows, Hotmail, etc.?
  8. Will you stop using Firefox since Mozilla joined the complaint, and were very vocal about the whole thing, including demanding more than the ballot screen?

post-321698-12677748180373_thumb.png

Because it's impossible to use more than one browser? Because it's impossible to use Opera and also use and promote Chrome?

Because it's impossible to use more than one browser? Because it's impossible to use Opera and also use and promote Chrome?

No, not at all. I use multiple browsers myself. I even use Flock (don't see too much love for that here) :)

But there's something to be said about someone not practicing what he preaches.