MSN Contact list full

Hi neowinians...

I'm having a problem in MSN Windows Live Messenger Version 2009 (build 14.0.8089.726) that does not allow me to add new contact.

It tells me "We couldn't add [...]@hotmail.com because your contact list is full. Please remove someone from your contact list first."

I deleted 20 contacts already since I received this message, logged-off and on, and it still does not allow me to add anyone.

I did a search on Google and on neowin, but I haven't found anyone who found a good solution to this problem.

What should I do?

I have around 600 contacts... I have this email address since high school in 1998.

But I don't understand... some websites say the contacts limit is 300, others 600, other 1200... who knows the real limit?

I found this.... which looks official but is not helpful :(

The limit of the number of contacts you can have in Windows Live Messenger

Below are the maximum numbers of contacts that your Windows Live Messenger account can accommodate:

* Messenger Contacts ?You can have at most 1500 contacts.

* Hotmail and Messenger Contacts ? The sum of all your contacts in both Windows Live Messenger and Hotmail. Your account can accommodate a maximum of 1250 contacts.

* Allowed Contacts ? Contacts that can view your online status, and send you instant messages (IM). You can have up to 1500 allowed contacts.

* Blocked Contacts or Blocked users ? Contacts that do not have the permission to view your online status nor send you instant messages. A user can block up to 1200 contacts or users.

* Reversed contacts ? The contacts that added you to their contacts list. Your name appears on those contacts? contact list. You can have at most 1200 reversed contacts.

* Pending contacts ? Contacts who are interested to be in your contacts list and to view your online status but you have not yet approved or accepted. You can have at most 40 pending contacts.

* Group ? Customer defined groups. The default groups are Online, Offline, and Mobile. You can include up to 100 contacts in a group.

Note: Even though the Allow, Block, Pending, Reverse lists and Hotmail address-book have their own limit as stated above, only 1000 can be viewable in Windows Live Messenger under the "Privacy" tab. 1000 contacts include Allow, Block, Pending, Reverse and Hotmail address-book

*** If you intend to add contacts but you already reached the limit of the number of contacts that you can add, you will receive an error saying;

Sorry, contact display name could not be added. Your contact list is full. Please delete a contact from your list and then try again.

If you get this error, you will have to delete a contact in order to accommodate the new contact that you want to add.

SOURCE: http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=e8f44fc9-4ef2-4c4b-8dc7-27ef8ea354e5

I have that problem too.

I'm also having this issue

*EDIT*

PS. I just got this issue recently.

I'm also having this issue

*EDIT*

PS. I just got this issue recently.

Hi guys!!

I'm having the same problem. I just erase more than 150 contacts (I had 600) and still cant add anyone...

Do you know something, already??

Out of curiosity, are you sure you removed them as a contact entirely, or simply as an MSN contact? Go to People, then delete some things.

Out of curiosity, are you sure you removed them as a contact entirely, or simply as an MSN contact? Go to People, then delete some things.

Yes, I think I did. I went to Contacts and then I remove it from the windows live contacts page... I did it alright??

So no solution yet?

Judging from the comments in the help and support center, it's a service problem, not an actual problem the end user can fix.

Oddly enough, the same time you started having this problem, i've started to get 2-3 spam email adds each day.

Oddly enough, the same time you started having this problem, i've started to get 2-3 spam email adds each day.

Yeah I got that recently, then I realised I'd set my email address to public in the staff contact info settings :blush:

Have you tried going into the Privacy options and deleting people that don't have you on their contact list anymore? Maybe removing them on your end isn't good enough.

I have a question :) do u really remember who is who with 600+ contacts? sure lots of those contacts never come online any more or they have changed the email address. use a clean up tool like the one in msn live plus.

by the way I remember some tool that lets u add more contacts but only saves them to ur hard drive not on the messenger servers. (if Im not wrong this is a feature in msn live plus)

I have a question :) do u really remember who is who with 600+ contacts? sure lots of those contacts never come online any more or they have changed the email address. use a clean up tool like the one in msn live plus.

by the way I remember some tool that lets u add more contacts but only saves them to ur hard drive not on the messenger servers. (if Im not wrong this is a feature in msn live plus)

Hell, I only have five contacts and not even they come online anymore. I often wonder why I even bother signing in either!

I don't think a bit of contact info will be too much for their servers. Try to contact someone from the support staff, explain your problem and just ask if they can raise the limit for your account if it's technically possible.

I don't think a bit of contact info will be too much for their servers. Try to contact someone from the support staff, explain your problem and just ask if they can raise the limit for your account if it's technically possible.

I believe if u can add contacts with no limits it will cause a security hole in the server, also keep in mind performance is an issue, finding 600 contacts for a single user is much, imagine thousand of users signing in and out at the same moment :) and u have to get all there status updates (online, offline, away, ideal ....).

:rolleyes: Official answer from Microsoft:

http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=e697a7c6-f3b8-4b60-91e0-92799c5406b4&page=5

Windows Live Carlo C.

Just a quick update to everyone. Please know that this known issue is already fixed at the backend. You should now be able to add new contacts without getting the error which says that "your contact list is full".

Regards,

Carlo C.

It's nice to see we're not alone!