Toshiba vs. HP: Quality/Durability

Whatever you choose, research your local support options first. Find an OEM authorized repair company that isn't owned by the OEM.

If you have to deal directly with the OEM for repairs, you'll be fighting with techs on the phone who really don't want to get you an RMA. Even if you do, you'll likely be paying to ship out your laptop unless you buy onsite support or there's an OEM repair depot close by.

If you can get an independent OEM authorized company, they will want to do warranty work since they get paid by the OEM to do it. It's much more likely to be a pleasant experience.

Remember: nothing lasts forever.

I will not go ahead and throw mud at other models just because I own a HP, like others did before me. Moreover, in the future you should avoid starting versus topics on forums as you will attract fanboys from each side that do only that and not answer to your querry.

I can only suggest you to buy the dv6 because it's worth the money you're paying for. It's not an entry level notebook so in terms of finishing, it's really great. The remote control, aluminium like touchpad, LED logo or other small details contribute to the whole premium product experience.

The two HP notebooks I work with each day are nothing like you read in the previous posts; what others said seems like a horror movie while it really isn't. Nobodoy seems to blame the user though. Some people expect laptops to do their best in not so great environments. I don't know what others do to the first two notebooks but it's very likely that on the third one (conveniently a different brand) they will stop doing it because they already spent more than enough. Hence, Toshiba could be more reliable than HP (just an example).

Neither the integrated graphics nor the dedicated graphics one have heating issues and I've been using them for more than 6 months. The back side gets warm on both but not more than notebooks are supposed to. I play GPU demanding games sometimes on the dv6 and heat is not an issue if the room is cooled properly. It's true though that it has an ATi card, not the faulty nVIDIA grahpics.

If I was to quote Texas, you can just ignore my post as I do not know anything about computers. I'm stoned to death. Or you could not do that. The choice is yours. :)

Go to the nearest retail store, compare in terms of design and finish, a Toshiba, a HP and a Lenovo and then choose the one

@Texas: Mmhhh.. :sleep:

Cheers!

After hours of messing around on Lenovo's website, I've determined that it's impossible to configure the hardware of a machine, making everything either too much or to little for what I need. As per the general consensus, I've decided to get a Toshiba Satellite A505, similar to this one on Amazon with an upgraded warranty.;)

Thanks for everyone's advice!:D

-- unintentional

hp are complete garbage and the replacements are triple the price of any other brand so go with toshiba they might be slightly higher priced but the rest is cheap but if you had a choice i would go with acer as it's a bit cheaper and similar quality, hp are crooks as they charge like triple of what others charge and the parts seem to fail faster and then the replacement costs more than the unit itself like if you own a printer and to get a cartridge replacement it's like 60 dollars for one and a better brand like canon only charges like around 15 bucks for one cartridge which is far cheaper.

I have said this before, buy what you feel is right for you at the end of the day. Everybody will reccomend you buy this make and that make, makes excuses why you shouldn't buy that or this etc.....personally I'd go with the Toshiba based on my experience with them. I also have a soft spot for Samsung & Acer......

My Toshiba Satellite Pro A210 I bought 2 years ago is still fighting fit. Gets a bit hot and the battery lasts just over 2 hours - but dammit I love the little fighter!

Cheap model HP laptops are not great for reliability, very bad Q/A testing. Tends to be power related failure on the mainboards 9/10 times.

HP Power Laptop series (e.g. NC84XX & above, NC92XX & above) and Elitebook series (8XXX & 9XXXX) are great laptop models, built & designed well. I play WoW & HL2 @ 1680x1050 on my NC8430 "Frankenstein" (Has a lot of 3rd party components from other models inside as upgrades). More than happy with it. They cost a lot but guess that's because they go through a Q/A department on these models.

Toshiba laptops do not travel well from my experiences. Anything made of plastic that is a moving part on them, consider it a temporary feature as it will depart the chasis in a few months. Keyboards wear well though. Keep trackpads clean as human finger sweat/oils cause them to track badly, much worse than others I have used (Except maybe Ollivetti).

To OP: Consider lesser of two evils out of those two, to be honest I wouldn't get either.

I will not go ahead and throw mud at other models just because I own a HP, like others did before me. Moreover, in the future you should avoid starting versus topics on forums as you will attract fanboys from each side that do only that and not answer to your querry.

I can only suggest you to buy the dv6 because it's worth the money you're paying for. It's not an entry level notebook so in terms of finishing, it's really great. The remote control, aluminium like touchpad, LED logo or other small details contribute to the whole premium product experience.

The two HP notebooks I work with each day are nothing like you read in the previous posts; what others said seems like a horro\

Go to the nearest retail store, compare in terms of design and finish, a Toshiba, a HP and a Lenovo and then choose the one

@Texas: Mmhhh.. :sleep:

Cheers!

OK, youre not stoned, just dont know what youre talking about. Making a judgement based on your ownership - yeah thats conclusive :rolleyes:

Im a fanboy of quality products, not garbage the preys on the people who dont know their any better.

I am helping people like you - you should thank me and go on about your business - if it werent for people like me and others in HH - you would go through life owning junk.

Youre welcome

OK, youre not stoned, just dont know what youre talking about. Making a judgement based on your ownership - yeah thats conclusive :rolleyes:

Im a fanboy of quality products, not garbage the preys on the people who dont know their any better.

I am helping people like you - you should thank me and go on about your business - if it werent for people like me and others in HH - you would go through life owning junk.

Youre welcome

now that's a "look at me i'm better than you" attitude and in my opinion that's a wrong kind of attitude for a forum. people buy what they want to buy for a reason and who are you to come on here and tell them they buy junk? If they buy a item that gives up after 6 months of use then that's there problem and they'll learn by it.

people post on here to give their opinions / get other people's opinions - not be trodden on by the likes of you!

you can say what you want about me, even report me if you like, just feel/felt the need to say something. apologies to all other posters and the original poster.

Toshiba is a good choice! Better than HP in my opinion. Enjoy! ^^

Thanks. I can't wait!

Can we stop the flaming please? I don't want to sound like your mother or anything, but I don't want to be getting myself banned from such an awesome forum for starting a war thread. Thx!:D

-- unintentional

Personally I've had much better luck with Toshiba. Any HP I've ever owned seems to have little annoyances that bug the heck out of me at the minimum and they are dog crap at the max. Toshiba just runs and runs.

....y what they want to buy for a reason and who are you to come on here and tell them they buy junk? If they buy a item that gives up after 6 months of use then that's there problem....

OK, I'll do as you suggest, not say anything then when they buy a piece of junk that dies after 6 months, I cant say its junk when it is - but its their problem... Yeah thats helpful

Report you ? Huh ? I've never reported anyone since I've been here - and never will - its juvenile.

But rethink your logic - youre saying :

dont say anything, lie to them & dont tell them what they're buying is gonna die soon - tell them its great and its money well spent - but then when it does die (because it IS a piece of junk) they are on their own - its their fault

That is exactly what you suggested - you ask, who am I to tell them its junk ? - well I'm one of the people on this forum WHO THE OP WANTED COMMENTS FROM, thats who.

Again - I am providing a helpful service. Giving insightful answers from years of experience - and telling the people the truth - you can lie to them - because its not nice to tell them the truth.

Unintentional - dont worry you wont get banned - you have only asked a question - thats what forums are for - where the thread goes from there is the natural progression of things - not your fault.

Again, buy smart, and you will enjoy it more, and enjoy it longer.

Toshiba has always been the understated laptop maker out there.....kinda like the celebrity that doesn't get honourable mention/award when they clearly deserve it...

speaking of Toshiba...I have one that was given to me by my brother who didn't need it anymore...I have to get the model when I go in my office next time....but it's a grey satellite pro 14" 256mb ram....original hard drive 20gb , dvd-rom/cd-rw, with green pointing stick and touch pad.....still ticking...had XP on it...lol it refuses to die....it's mainly now in the cupboard collecting dust...but it's still a fighter.

@Texas: Jesus Christ! :o Seriously now, I think that you should have a break before doing any more damage. You've already called me and a few others liars -first quote-, incapable of chosing what's good (?!) -second quote- or suggesting that by recommending so called junk to others, I gain something -third quote-.

lie to them & dont tell them what they're buying is gonna die soon - tell them its great and its money well spent - but then when it does die (because it IS a piece of junk) they are on their own - its their fault
Again, buy smart, and you will enjoy it more, and enjoy it longer.
if it werent for people like me and others in HH - you would go through life owning junk.

Reality wake-up call! Sometimes, when hardware breaks down, the problem is somewhere between the keyboard and the chair. I know, it's easier to call the hardware a piece of junk when one did not even read the manual and presumed that it can be handled without. If you do it, at least don't brag with it.

You have something against others with a different opinion than yours, not with fanboys; herofryar has a Toshiba notebook and you still felt a need to knock down his replies. :rofl:

FYI: If one has a high number of posts or a certain age on the forum it does not mean that one will also provide a quality feedback to others. He/she will simply provide it and that's that; it's up to the requester to judge who's what. Oh well, some get over this bully phase, some just don't.

Making a judgement based on your ownership - yeah thats conclusive
I am providing a helpful service. Giving insightful answers from years of experience

Aren't you doing the same thing' date=' just that you do not agree with mine? My judgement based on ownership - bad - your judgement based on experience - good - (I assume that by owning, junk that is).

P.S. Sheesh, your avatar and motto suits you well (no pun intended). It makes me laugh each time. :laugh:

@unintentional: Please accept my apologies. It was not my intention to polute your topic with my utter nonsense. :)

Toshiba's build quality isn't what it used to be in my opinion. I personally have had pretty luck luck with HP. Between the two, I would take the HP. As others have mentioned Lenovo is a good brand, and I highly recommend Asus. I've bought a couple and their warranty is great.

Aren't you doing the same thing, just that you do not agree with mine? My judgement based on ownership - bad - your judgement based on experience - good - (I assume that by owning, junk that is).

P.S. Sheesh, your avatar and motto suits you well (no pun intended). It makes me laugh each time. :laugh:

@unintentional: Please accept my apologies. It was not my intention to polute your topic with my utter nonsense. :)

Strange how those two phrases in bold italics go hand and hand.

My experience is from having to work on thousands of these machines over the years. It tends to give a better overall picture of the brand/manufacturer as opposed to someone who bought 1 or 2.

It is really too much work for me to spell out all of your incorrect assumptions into what I meant, and it doesnt help the OP at all. I think he can simply tally up the HP and Toshiba recommendations in this thread and get a general idea.

Its not between the keyboard and the chair when your fan is in the wrong part of the computer and it fries under normal use. Just my 2 cents worth. =/

Its not between the keyboard and the chair when your fan is in the wrong part of the computer and it fries under normal use. Just my 2 cents worth. =/

Exactly

:EDIT:

I think I should tone it down as suggested by Robert.

The purpose of this thread is to help the OP decide between Toshiba and HP. Everyone chimes in with their opinions. Regardless of technical expertise, or background - a general consensus is formed by adding up the Toshiba votes, and the HP votes. I slept through college statistics, maybe someone can clarify this, but this tally isnt really indicitive of the whole (or a real microcosm) because it is on a tech-related website, right ?

So we have to assume these posts would be more insightful, overall, in contrast to asking 50 random people on the street.

So, if you remove all the bickering, mine included, and just take votes. Remove all the banter - I think it shows a pretty one-sided recommendation for Toshiba - that answers the OP's question ... I think.

Yes ASUS, and ThinkPads are better - maybe he will consider that - but his question is answered, albeit with a little fireworks, but answered honestly.

ASUS Laptops tend to be a bit more 'weird' than other laptops though which racks up the price for nothing more than cosmetics. Like some are clad in leather, some carbon fibre etc. But the sensible looking machines are of reasonable value.

Toshiba. Totally crushes HP. My old HP PC died around 4 times in around 4 years, where as my Toshiba Laptop, which I've had for around 2 years is still fast, sexy and quiet.

My HPs HD died, sound stopped working, CD buttons dead and so on. The only problems i've had with my Toshiba laptop is the touch screen lights on the front somehow died cry.gif and also my left speaker isn't working very well no.gif. A bit upset when wanting to listen to Eminem and Ecstasy of Gold on 100% volume.

Yeah, as you can read this thread got pretty heated - but its easy to read between the lines and see Toshiba was the clear winner, and deservedly so- they make a nice laptop.

When you mention "touch screen lights on the front" you aren't referring to the Satellite logo lights are you ? The setting is in the BIOS to turn it on/off.