Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Hmmm pinch.gif

By the way are you planning a Firefox theme to go with your Windows theme?

My Windows theme :blink: Maybe you mean Dom's theme? I think his theme has a lot of potential to work as a Firefox theme. Knowing us we will probably end up doing it after Minimal, TwentyTen, Metro, and all those others we have had on the back burner for a while.

There was something planned with the "Home Tab" but I think that's been scrapped.

Yeah, the Home Tab got scaled back a whole lot, currently it's just a google search box and news items from Mozilla.

Lots of stuff got scaled back/cut though, like browsing bookmark folders in content. But it can always come back in the future, since the foundation is there at least.

My Windows theme :blink: Maybe you mean Dom's theme? I think his theme has a lot of potential to work as a Firefox theme. Knowing us we will probably end up doing it after Minimal, TwentyTen, Metro, and all those others we have had on the back burner for a while.

lol yes, sorry I get you two confused some times! blush.gif

98 hard blockers :) i dont see them missing the early feb date for RC1

With a bunch of [softblocker] bugs which make FF4 slower than FF3.6

EDIT: What I am trying to say it that [hardblocker] bugs are not the only things you want them to fix.

With a bunch of [softblocker] bugs which make FF4 slower than FF3.6

EDIT: What I am trying to say it that [hardblocker] bugs are not the only things you want them to fix.

Yeah, that first line made no sense. Blockers are blockers based on their specific issue ... they generally have little relevance to performance compared to 3.6 - they could be issues within new functionality, or new functionality itself.

The continued existence of a blocker doesn't mean the product is broken - just something wanted isn't there yet, which could be many things.

what they are doing is that , first complete the tough/security related/critical bugs , and then make way for easy bugs which just need landing etc

So what is the difference between this list of bugs:

https://bugzilla.moz...cking2.0:betan+

and this one:

https://bugzilla.moz...final%20sw:hard

first one is the list of bugs which were SUPPOSED to be fixed for the betas (soft + hard + others blockers)

while the second list has bugs which are MUST to be fixed for the betas (hard blockers)

Fonts look bad due to a Microsoft bug that is only evident when hardware acceleration is used. The best fix ATM, rather than turning hardware acceleration completely off in Options, is to just turn the text stuff off using about:config, adding an entry...... gfx.direct2d.disabled and set it to boolean TRUE and restart Firefox 4.

And now they're hiding one of the major new features of Firefox 4.0 from the user in the default config:

Actually, after talking with Limi, we've decided that the safest way forward will be to remove the Panorama button from the toolbar by default. Users can customize their toolbar to re-add it, or use the menu options to get in/out.

I'll file a bug to track that work, but for now let's take this off the list. I suspect Ian will agree, as he'd mentioned that this was one of the riskier changes left.

Source: Bugzilla@Mozilla

Read the discussion following the comment quoted above. Joe User sticks to the default settings most of the time - removing the toolbar icon makes it undiscoverable to most of the Firefox userbase. IMHO Mozilla might as well remove Panorama entirely from 4.0 and re-add it in 4.next.

Then again I consider Panorama an idea which looked good on paper, yet feels over-engineered and buggy when you actually use it.

Good grief... beta 9 is utter crap...

My window flickers like hell, it eats even more memory, it slows down fast... What the heck?

Glassed Silver:mac

Anyone know if they've fixed isolated cases of the browser freezing or stuttering on a cold start of the browser? I can easily see this happen by starting the browser, navigating to Neowin, and then scrolling up and down.

This is on beta 9 with a system that usually runs off a Intel HD Graphics chip.

My window flickers like hell, it eats even more memory, it slows down fast... What the heck?

I've had all these problems with beta 9, beta 8 was much better in those regards :(

I've had all these problems with beta 9, beta 8 was much better in those regards :(

Same here... beta 8 was rock solid compared to this POS...

To go even further, I much prefered any beta I tried before: 4, 6 and 8 have been awesome...

Joe User sticks to the default settings most of the time - removing the toolbar icon makes it undiscoverable to most of the Firefox userbase. IMHO Mozilla might as well remove Panorama entirely from 4.0 and re-add it in 4.next.

Then again I consider Panorama an idea which looked good on paper, yet feels over-engineered and buggy when you actually use it.

Leaving it in allows them to get more feedback on it than leaving it out. Removing it is also likely a much bigger challenge.

Apparently *some* of beta 9's issues are fixed in a later trunk build (as problems I had with b9 I don't have with the current Minefield, which is b10pre) - some fixes failed to beat the clock?

Apparently *some* of beta 9's issues are fixed in a later trunk build (as problems I had with b9 I don't have with the current Minefield, which is b10pre) - some fixes failed to beat the clock?

I dislike Minefield's name and icon, hence I don't install it, but most likely yes I suppose...

Oh well... At this rate I will have b10 by next week or so :p

Leaving it in allows them to get more feedback on it than leaving it out. Removing it is also likely a much bigger challenge.

I like TabCandy Panorama, but I think it was added a bit too late into the process, since it's been nothing but bug fixes and regressions.

I'll keep using it though, since I often have 30+ tabs open for distinct reasons.