Meet Firefox 4.0.1

People having problems with DirectWrite, do you have ATI cards?

It seems Nvidia and ATI cards render the text differently, Nvidia cards have light sub-pixel colours while ATI cards have very strong colours, to the point where you get a very noticeable rainbow effect with a string of text like "llllllllllllllllllllllll"

Edit: And when you're taking screenshots of it, use PNG as the file format, JPEG destroys the colour info on purpose (The human eye can't see it very well, so no point trying hard to save it) unless you change settings in the encoder.

I have problems with directwrite, and yes, I'm using an ATI card.

The colors are better in the latest nightly.

However, I don't see this as a D2D/DirectWrite/Microsoft/GPU problem, because of one fact, and that is that text looks great on IE9 which uses it aswell.

I think sometimes IE9 uses ClearType instead of D2D, so you'd think it's rendering looks better.

People having problems with DirectWrite, do you have ATI cards?

It seems Nvidia and ATI cards render the text differently, Nvidia cards have light sub-pixel colours while ATI cards have very strong colours, to the point where you get a very noticeable rainbow effect with a string of text like "llllllllllllllllllllllll"

Edit: And when you're taking screenshots of it, use PNG as the file format, JPEG destroys the colour info on purpose (The human eye can't see it very well, so no point trying hard to save it) unless you change settings in the encoder.

I don't see any colors or rainbow effect on my card, to mee the rendering is just way too blurry, especially with the lllllll example you posted. A lot of letters just look blurry/washed out compared to cleartype.

post-159052-0-77855500-1295547585.png

You notice in cleartype the rendering looks very consistent, in Directwrite some letters look alright and others look very faint and blurry.

I don't see any colors or rainbow effect on my card, to mee the rendering is just way too blurry, especially with the lllllll example you posted. A lot of letters just look blurry/washed out compared to cleartype.

post-159052-0-77855500-1295547585.png

You notice in cleartype the rendering looks very consistent, in Directwrite some letters look alright and others look very faint and blurry.

Yeah that's what I see too. Strange thing is, I don't have that issue at work on the same version of FF4 (which is running on XP). Could be a monitor/cleartype thing. :s

Yeah that's what I see too. Strange thing is, I don't have that issue at work on the same version of FF4 (which is running on XP). Could be a monitor/cleartype thing. :s

That's because xp does not support directwrite

Yeah, that's the sub-pixel positioning causing that. GDI is designed to render text to CRT monitors (it's from Windows 3), while DirectWrite is designed for LCD displays and as such doesn't have a lot of the limitations GDI does (ClearType is bolted onto GDI, while DW is designed around it)

You get more accurate glyph rendering, more accurate inter-character spacing, and more accurate line lengths than you would with GDI (and it's much faster too). Compare this under GDI to DirectWrite, GDI simply can't scale and place the glyphs properly due to it's limitations.

Yeah, that's the sub-pixel positioning causing that. GDI is designed to render text to CRT monitors (it's from Windows 3), while DirectWrite is designed for LCD displays and as such doesn't have a lot of the limitations GDI does (ClearType is bolted onto GDI, while DW is designed around it)

You get more accurate glyph rendering, more accurate inter-character spacing, and more accurate line lengths than you would with GDI (and it's much faster too). Compare this under GDI to DirectWrite, GDI simply can't scale and place the glyphs properly due to it's limitations.

Well I have and lcd and think it looks like crap, it may "technically" be better but most people seem to share my opinion that it looks pretty awful lol.

It does look better at large font sizes, but at normal font sizes it is pretty bad :/

Compare this under GDI to DirectWrite, GDI simply can't scale and place the glyphs properly due to it's limitations.

The rainbow effect is quite visible for Segoe UI:

font-style%2C%20font-weight%20%26%20font-stretch%20tester%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox%204.0%20Beta%209.png

And here's an example from my laptop with Intel HD Graphics (also switched to the onboard discrete GeForce GT 335m and got almost identical results):

font-style%2C%20font-weight%20%26%20font-stretch%20tester%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox%204.0%20Beta%209.png

Clearly there's a contrast difference.

edit: The previous screenshot was captured on a machine without SP1, while this one does have SP1. Not sure if there might be a fix inside the service pack with regards to DirectWrite rendering.

ugh, confusing.

I've always gotten the results shown in your second screenshot (pre-SP1 with an 8600GT), and I've only ever seen the results from the first screenshot on ATI cards (even a few Mozilla devs have the same issue). I wonder if it's due to the ClearType settings Windows use.

The plan is to release beta 10 the week of Jan 24. There will be a beta 11 the week of the 31st and RC to follow soon after. Got this from Mozilla. There are now 85 hard blockers :)

The ClearType settings also has an effect on it. I've tuned CT and restarted programs, and have gotten worse/better results depending on how it's tuned.

That's because xp does not support directwrite

Well I guess that'd be why then :p

The ClearType settings also has an effect on it. I've tuned CT and restarted programs, and have gotten worse/better results depending on how it's tuned.

I wonder if the people having the problem are the ones that have used the ClearType tuner in Win7?

I should point out that |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| is not normal text. I don't think it's surprising that DirectWrite isn't designed around displaying those perfectly.

In the previous comparison, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii was displayed next to it ... and it looked fine. It's still an unlikely collection of characters, but more realistic at least.

Of course it's not ideal that |||||||| can look odd, but it's not the end of the world.

Well I guess that'd be why then :p

I wonder if the people having the problem are the ones that have used the ClearType tuner in Win7?

I haven't used CT tuner at all.