Meet Firefox 4.0.1

I should point out that |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| is not normal text. I don't think it's surprising that DirectWrite isn't designed around displaying those perfectly.

In the previous comparison, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii was displayed next to it ... and it looked fine. It's still an unlikely collection of characters, but more realistic at least.

Of course it's not ideal that |||||||| can look odd, but it's not the end of the world.

Its not just lllllll that looks bad though, it just happens to be one of the examples that accentuates it the most. I can't even use firefox with hw accel enabled for too long it looks so bad it starts to hurt my eyes.

Where does it say that the Beta 10 freeze is today?

http://christian.legnitto.com/blog/2011/01/20/firefox-4-beta-logistics/

Summary

1. We?ll take the most recent green changeset from mozilla-central this Friday, 2011-01-21 at 2:00 pm PST and call that beta 10
    • The tree will close for < 15 minutes for this (if at all)
    • We?ll freeze nightly updates at or around the changeset we branched from (likely only for the weekend)
    • Any problems with the beta will be dealt with on the relbranch

[*]We will release beta 10 as soon as possible during the week of the 24th

[*]We?ll take the most recent green changeset from mozilla-cental on Friday, 2011-01-28 at 2:00 pm PST (or sooner if the remaining betaN hardblockers are finished) and call that beta 11

• The tree will close for < 15 minutes for this (if at all)
  • We?ll freeze nightly updates at or around the changeset we branched from (likely only for the weekend)
  • Any problems with the beta will be dealt with on the relbranch

[*]We will release beta 11 as soon as possible during the week of the 31st

I have a couple of Firefox 4.0 beta related questions.

Is there any way to clear old history? (i.e. history after a certain amount of days) just like you can clear recent history?

Also, is there is any way to manually "refresh" the location bar history? My Neowin.net entry says "Driver Error", because there I received a driver error last month, and the location bar hasn't changed the title since.

20110121194210.png

we should see the first release candidate build of beta 10 tonight...

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_4b10/Test_Plan

the final release could be on the 25th at the earliest :)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=FIXED,VERIFIED&chfieldfrom=2011-01-10%2019%3A40&chfield=resolution&query_format=advanced&chfieldto=Now&product=Core&product=Firefox&product=NSPR&product=NSS&product=Toolkit

there is the list of what is fixed in beta 10! 551 bugs! :)

Anyone else not getting the save tabs on exit prompt with 2011-01-21 build of minefield?I know there is a checkbox whether to show up that prompt again, but i never checked it.How do i make it appear again "IF" i have checked it? I don't see an option in the menus to enable that prompt again if you disabled it.

Bah,

Does anyone know how to disable extension compatibility checking? The usual about:config method doesn't work like it does in 3.6!

I should point out that |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| is not normal text. I don't think it's surprising that DirectWrite isn't designed around displaying those perfectly.

In the previous comparison, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii was displayed next to it ... and it looked fine. It's still an unlikely collection of characters, but more realistic at least.

Of course it's not ideal that |||||||| can look odd, but it's not the end of the world.

Yeah, they're "worst case scenarios", I took the pipe example from the Mozilla bug on the issue, but the list of i's come from an article about proper glyph rendering (and as an example, how terrible GDI is, by showing off the lack of sub-pixel positioning with a string of lowercase, italic "i")

But since the crazy colours some people are having aren't related to the drivers like I thought, people should try the cleartype tuner to go back to the default settings. The results you guys are getting isn't normal.

Anyone else not getting the save tabs on exit prompt with 2011-01-21 build of minefield?I know there is a checkbox whether to show up that prompt again, but i never checked it.How do i make it appear again "IF" i have checked it? I don't see an option in the menus to enable that prompt again if you disabled it.

If u have HTML5 Addon by Microsoft , that is causing it

About ClearType, pop into the registry editor and navigate to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop. Does everyone have 1000 (decimal) for FontSmoothingGamma?

Has the way Firefox stores the browser cache changed in beta 9/10? I've been experiencing this problem where when I run CCleaner, it doesn't pick up any of the cache files from firefox. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

About ClearType, pop into the registry editor and navigate to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop. Does everyone have 1000 (decimal) for FontSmoothingGamma?

That value's 0 for me, I can't see 1000 being correct (If they divide by 1000, that gives you a gamma of 1.0, which is completely wrong as well, it should be something like 2.2)

Edit: And no, I don't think anything has changed about the cache.

Edit: Ok, According to MS the value is divided by 1000, and the valid ranges are 1000 to 2200, giving gamma values of 1.0 to 2.2. That all sounds correct, but it doesn't explain why my value is 0 and I get good results, and why your value is 1000 and you get bad results)

That dialog was disabled by Mozilla.

Thank you. browser.warnOnQuit;true did the trick.I wonder why mozilla decided to make the default not to ask to save tabs on exit???This is one of the best features i use in FF.I even use a session store addon on my chrome which is far from what i want, but still can get my tabs after exit.

That value's 0 for me, I can't see 1000 being correct (If they divide by 1000, that gives you a gamma of 1.0, which is completely wrong as well, it should be something like 2.2)

Edit: And no, I don't think anything has changed about the cache.

Edit: Ok, According to MS the value is divided by 1000, and the valid ranges are 1000 to 2200, giving gamma values of 1.0 to 2.2. That all sounds correct, but it doesn't explain why my value is 0 and I get good results, and why your value is 1000 and you get bad results)

Setting this value to 2200 and afterwards adjusting cleartype to the strongest text made my Firefox fonts look so much better. Using Calibri 16 in Firefox.