Meet Firefox 4.0.1

I just gave up on FireFox and switched to Chrome. The beta uses WAY too much RAM.

I've had Chrome installed and used it from time to time, but it is now my default.

Sorry Mozilla, it was a good run. Hopefully they improve so I can switch back.

are you sure ?

in here the ram usage gets lower from beta to beta

beta 10 is now eats only 150 instead of 200+ in beta 9

anyone see this high ram usage

are you sure ?

in here the ram usage gets lower from beta to beta

beta 10 is now eats only 150 instead of 200+ in beta 9

anyone see this high ram usage

I have also noticed that firefox is using less ram in latest builds.

BTW, I have a question. I remember in beta 1 (not so sure) that tabs had progress bars in pie-like form. It was dropped in later betas. Are no progress bars of any kind planned for release? We have the loading indicators, but it's not the same.

Just had to manually update the pre10 Jan 21st build and I'm pleased to say that this nightly doesn't suck so much on load anymore!

What was wrong with the 1/21 build? (no auto update, took forever to cold start).

Automatic updates were disabled over the weekend due to the beta freeze. It's going to happen next week as well (for Beta 11)

Edit: Looks like the tree is unfrozen, so expect an update tonight (my time :laugh: )

Beta10 build 1 on my Mac with Snow Leopard installed does not have push-states on its buttons. I was greeted with the initial window with options to import from Safari and upon clicking Cancel I noticed that no there was no push-state. It's the same throughout the application. Wait, wasn't there some debate a loooong time ago that Firefox wasn't a good OS X citizen? Oh yeah. This just adds to that debate which is ongoing to this day.

I'm still going to try out Firefox 4 when it comes out as final.

just tried again with a fresh Firefox installation of the first build of beta 10. There's simply no response to the Cancel pillbutton in the Import window on first launch. The only time I got it to respond and give me feedback is on the "Set Firefox as the default browser" It responded to No and gave me visual feedback. Once in Preferences no pillbutton gave me any feedback as to whether they are pressed or not(I know they are but Firefox wont give me the visual feedback)

Mysterious.

I switched mice too. From my usual Marathon Mouse m705 to an old Mighty Mouse. No luck with either.

Edit.. okay, so after browsing through the different prefpanes inside Firefox preferences I got them to respond. Except for the initial launch of the Preferences window. No buttons there respond, that is until I activate the other prefpanes, then suddenly they come to life. But after a new launch of Firefox the issue is back.

I don't remember exactly what that glitch was filed under, but I do remember encountering it very often. Anyway, I use the nightlies, and it has been fixed since then.

Excellent. Thanks!

Chromium Vs Firefox Nightly Ram usage on my machine.

Chromium has 13 extensions, and Firefox 10.First screenshot is with all addons/extensions disabled.The second one is with all extensions/addons enabled.In both cases Firefox uses less ram than Chromium with 4 same tabs.

post-351666-0-56372100-1295874418.png

post-351666-0-52097600-1295874441.png

Oh, they have f***ed up the UI in Beta 9. Just like Google Chrome, there is no longer any white space above the tabs when the window is maximized. After opening 4/5 tabs there is no space left to DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW. And IF I CAN'T DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW on Windows 7 how will I take advantage of the incredibly useful Aero Snap and Aero Shake. IE9 does it perfectly with beautiful white space above the tab bar. Until Beta 9 Firefox 4 used to have white space too. Apparently some Luddites who are used to XP and don't know how useful it is to DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW on Windows 7, thought the space was wasted. This is quite pathetic.

My right-click menu has become a scrollable list :angry:

Any fix for this?

@ WindowsFanatic, I use the tab counter addon, that gives me a spot to use for dragging.

Mt right-click menu has become a scrollable list :angry:

Any fix for this?

@ WindowsFanatic, I use the tab counter addon, that gives me a spot to use for dragging.

Is it permanent? I've had this problem before, but it usually goes away on its own. It's been a bug for me since 3.0. Tried restarting the browser?

Oh, they have f***ed up the UI in Beta 9. Just like Google Chrome, there is no longer any white space above the tabs when the window is maximized. After opening 4/5 tabs there is no space left to DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW. And IF I CAN'T DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW on Windows 7 how will I take advantage of the incredibly useful Aero Snap and Aero Shake. IE9 does it perfectly with beautiful white space above the tab bar. Until Beta 9 Firefox 4 used to have white space too. Apparently some Luddites who are used to XP and don't know how useful it is to DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW on Windows 7, thought the space was wasted. This is quite pathetic.

Alternatively, some "Luddites" thought it would be better if tabs were easier to select. It's not like they moved the window controls to the bottom left or something, nothing has been "F'ed up". Anyway, even though there's a comparatively messier way to add an aerosnap margin through a little css edit, I think there should be an option for it.

Alternatively, some "Luddites" thought it would be better if tabs were easier to select. It's not like they moved the window controls to the bottom left or something, nothing has been "F'ed up". Anyway, even though there's a comparatively messier way to add an aerosnap margin through a little css edit, I think there should be an option for it.

I see they have discussed this issue for months here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=572160

It's unfortunate that they have arrived at the wrong decision. But one suggestion I liked from the discussion is to replace "tab-tearing" feature from maximized windows with Aero Snap. Or of course, at least a hidden option to allow space above the tab bar. But this is a make or break feature for Aero Snap lovers like me. This reminds me of Chrome's pathetic decision to remove the option to include the bookmarks button.

P.S: Oh stupid me. Forget everything I just said because there IS a solution:

Setting browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false does the trick.

LOL

By the time Firefox reaches version 5.0, Chrome will be in v27.0. Not that it means anything, though. :rolleyes:

Replying to a post to how Firefox plan to speed up their release times, directly talking about Chrome's faster release cycle, you're saying it's hilarious how slow they will be? Are you from the future?

After opening 4/5 tabs there is no space left to DRAG A MAXIMIZED WINDOW.

Don't exaggerate, there is still space to do that - it's just small.

Don't exaggerate, there is still space to do that - it's just small.

He does have a point. I can find places to drag the window, but I do agree that we need a spot of free space on the title bar to drag the window. Even a 2px gap at the top of the window would suffice.

He does have a point. I can find places to drag the window, but I do agree that we need a spot of free space on the title bar to drag the window. Even a 2px gap at the top of the window would suffice.

They can't please everyone. If they add the space some people will want it removed.

If you really want that extra px or two to grab it use this:

#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #TabsToolbar {
  padding-top: 1px !important;
}

Is it permanent? I've had this problem before, but it usually goes away on its own. It's been a bug for me since 3.0. Tried restarting the browser?

Seems to be permanent :(

Maybe I have too many items in my right click menu? Is there a threshold I can set, before it turns itself scrollable?

I assume the majority of people (myself included) don't drag windows all that much. Besides, to use aero snap just use the keyboard shortcuts (much easier):

Windows key (held down) + up arrow = maximise

Windows key (held down) + down arrow = minimise

Windows key (held down) + left arrow = snap to left side of screen

Windows key (held down) + right arrow = snap to right side of screen

I assume the majority of people (myself included) don't drag windows all that much. Besides, to use aero snap just use the keyboard shortcuts (much easier):

Windows key (held down) + up arrow = maximise

Windows key (held down) + down arrow = minimise

Windows key (held down) + left arrow = snap to left side of screen

Windows key (held down) + right arrow = snap to right side of screen

That, or about:config and flip browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false.

Edit: unrelated.. but sort of funny, since the preloading patch hit tech sites couple spammers have tried to attach fake executable patches to the bug, they have been hidden pretty quickly but pay attention if you follow the bug (there are no executable patches that you use, unless you compile the browser yourself you have to wait for a build that has the patch in it).

Thanks for the heads up, macel. I was looking for something to "install" :blush:

Right click menu seems to have fixed it self. Not sure if it's because I installed another add-on, which added yet another item to the menu, two items actually :rolleyes: