Meet Firefox 4.0.1

And still a lot of bugs on my end... sigh... 3.6 is definitely faster... the new UI is nice but slows down the entire browser and rendering is pretty slow compared to Chrome.

Damn, I wish 3.7 was prioritized and Hardware Accelerating was off the list in the beginning. H.A is not obviously not ready for prime time. Now Mozilla is losing its core user-base and chasing away new ones. I hope this somewhat new CEO does a reality check soon for Mozilla. Because they are **cking up resource management big time.

At this rate, I think H.A should be disabled by default when final hits. Until they find a way to only enable H.A on <canvas> and <video> element.

Hardware acceleration on Windows and OS X is fine, it's only Linux where there is a problem.

Disabling it just slows Firefox down (to a point still faster than 3.6 though), as would just accelerating <canvas> or <video> (Since each instance would need their own native widget, and they suck since you can't do certain things to them, hence why everybody is trying to move away from them)

Firefox 3.6 faster than Firefox 4?Chrome rendering faster?Either you guys are dreaming or you are smoking some real good stuff.On my PC FF 4 is much much faster than FF 3.6,and at least as fast as Chrome(sometimes it even feels faster than Chrome).And about the text rendering i don't know if the Windows update that some ppl say was supposed to fix the text rendering or FF did something, but now the difference in the text with/without HA is almost negligible.

I disabled HA and I can tell you that either I'm totally used to HA by now or Firefox is doing a good job in direct write. I couldn't stand clear-type for a minute.

But I have to agree with the user who said that FF 4.0 is not fast enough in a netbook. I have an Asus 1005HA and FF runs kinda sluggish in there.

Did anyone noticed that Firefox now uses more glass in Panorama window?

Screenshot%20-%2026-01-2011%20%2C%2019_15_42.jpg

Wow! That looks great! :o

Anyone else find it weird that some people find 4.0 to be unacceptably slow compared to 3.6?

I'm just curious because on my system 3.6 doesn't even come close to 4.0 in terms of speed. FF4 completely blows it out the water. In fact, FF4 feels just as fast as Chrome - even faster in some areas. Of course, Chrome has been steadily beating FF in startup times hands down on my system, but that's my only complaint about its performance.

Edit: Wanted to add that I know Chrome continues to raise the bar in javascript performance. I'm just talking about perceived speed - I guess I don't regularly visit any sites where I notice the difference.

Anyone else find it weird that some people find 4.0 to be unacceptably slow compared to 3.6?

I'm just curious because on my system 3.6 doesn't even come close to 4.0 in terms of speed. FF4 completely blows it out the water. In fact, FF4 feels just as fast as Chrome - even faster in some areas. Of course, Chrome has been steadily beating FF in startup times hands down on my system, but that's my only complaint about its performance.

Edit: Wanted to add that I know Chrome continues to raise the bar in javascript performance. I'm just talking about perceived speed - I guess I don't regularly visit any sites where I notice the difference.

Most complaints about firefox 4 aren't about page rendering speed, but rather the responsiveness of the gui.

Ya. I want it to be a button and it is a tab atm.

Are you maybe using Stratiform? Just a guess by the look of your appmenu button. If that's the case try disabling "Tab style buttons" under "Misc" on the "Tab Bar" page.

Although all buttons on the Tab Bar should look like a tab then but may be worth a try.

Or maybe you have some Userstyle enabled that does the same thing?

When i move the Home button to the Tab Bar in the current b10pre it doesn't get a tab style appearance.