Meet Firefox 4.0.1

The UI. Page rendering and startup times are fine. The UI's responsiveness is still laggy.

It used to be that Firefox froze up shortly after a cold boot, but they might have fixed it for beta 10. However there is still noticeable choppiness in the UI. For instance, the open/close tab animations.

Also - and this might sound insignificant but it still ties into the UI being not so responsive - try resizing the lower right corner of the window and do it rapidly. Chrome repaints the fastest. IE9 and Opera repaint at an acceptable speed. Firefox chops up everywhere.

UI responsiveness has definitely been improved since Firefox 3.6. It is also a fact that it isn't the fastest UI interface.

However your problems sounds like a specific issues with GPU acceleration. Are you using Windows 7? What GPU ?

In terms of everything. I stopped using Firefox for one main reason: Chrome 8 is [currently] faster. I like Firefox 4 because of the updated interface, built-in support for hardware rendering, and various other changes (from Firefox 3.6). However, I don't like the fact that it's slow in comparison to Chrome 8 and Opera 11. If they make it faster, I'd probably make the switch as fast as humanly possible.

I think i need to point out, Firefox 4 is faster on slower computer. If you have 4GB+ Ram, Dual Core C2D, Chrome may well be a good choice. On Lower Spec, Firefox so far has been performing better then Chrome.

• Like 1

New UI feature as of today: Firefox goes Chrome.

Screen+shot+2011-01-29+at+15.42.43.png (based on bug #628654 in the Mozilla bug tracker).

Mind you, it doesn't show the link target (yet?) - that's still shown on the right side of the awesomebar.

Awesome!!! I like it. And you know what? It seems to trick the eye into thinking that is has gotten faster. Because now you see all the stuff that's doing when loading a page, instead of just a spinning circle.

• Like 2

UI responsiveness has definitely been improved since Firefox 3.6. It is also a fact that it isn't the fastest UI interface.

However your problems sounds like a specific issues with GPU acceleration. Are you using Windows 7? What GPU ?

I am using Windows 7 - well, I kinda have to :p This laptop has Optimus and so I did those tests while on the integrated Intel HD Graphics chip. I did try enabling the GeForce GT 335M chip for Firefox but it didn't help with the speed of the tabs drawing. It did improve resizing performance by a small bit.

Also back to the |||||||||| issue: now it's showing up on my laptop as well, and the fonts have a bit more contrast.

• Like 2

[...]

I think i need to point out, Firefox 4 is faster on slower computer. If you have 4GB+ Ram, Dual Core C2D, Chrome may well be a good choice. On Lower Spec, Firefox so far has been performing better then Chrome.

If it's faster on a slower computer, then wouldn't it make sense for it to be faster on a "fast" computer? I like the changes they've made to Firefox 4 but they also made it noticeably slower than Firefox 3.6.

• Like 2

Firefox 4 slower than Firefox 3.6???When i moved from FF 3.6 to FF4(it was beta 7 then) it was like driving Ferrari(FF4) instead of ford(FF 3.6).And since FF4 beta 7 it got even faster.I wonder how you ppl find FF4 to be slower than FF3.6?

• Like 2

So far Firefox 4 is turning out to be better than expected! It is not perfect though. No browser is. Anyway I am so happy I found this forum! Finally a forum where people are from everywhere ! Not just one country! That to me is what makes these forums rule! Hearing opinions from around the world! You can't ask for more!

• Like 1

This new "loading status bar" is very neat but something must be wrong, it says Powered by TS Special Edition 7.2 on some sites that use it... and it will not go away and it is absolutely certainly IN it - it is not just something that looks like it since it changes sides along with it even if I mouseover on another site.

• Like 1

Never had such problem since i updated Minefield today.

Maybe you have some addon that does something to the statusbar and is breaking it?Try disabling all addons and see if you still get it.

• Like 1

I like the changes they've made to Firefox 4 but they also made it noticeably slower than Firefox 3.6.

Slower in what aspects (sorry if you've already explained this)? Rendering should be several times faster given hardware acceleration, and the UI seems as fast as normal to me.

• Like 1

Also back to the |||||||||| issue: now it's showing up on my laptop as well, and the fonts have a bit more contrast.

Yeah, it's going to show up in a lot more places now due to the addition of component alpha rendering support for D3D10.

• Like 1

Never had such problem since i updated Minefield today.

Maybe you have some addon that does something to the statusbar and is breaking it?Try disabling all addons and see if you still get it.

No addon is doing that. It is a message from the SITE itself.

firefox4status.png

(yes I checked without addons.)

• Like 1

If it's faster on a slower computer, then wouldn't it make sense for it to be faster on a "fast" computer? I like the changes they've made to Firefox 4 but they also made it noticeably slower than Firefox 3.6.

Well, not necessarily. You can make an optimization for a slow hdd, for example, that doesn't help on a computer with a faster hdd or ssd. In fact, it may actually be worse (although ideally not) because the extra code added to optimize may end up circumventing built-in optimizations for the newer hardware.

• Like 1

This new "loading status bar" is very neat but something must be wrong, it says Powered by TS Special Edition 7.2 on some sites that use it... and it will not go away and it is absolutely certainly IN it - it is not just something that looks like it since it changes sides along with it even if I mouseover on another site.

about:config and flip dom.disable_window_status_change to true

And to completely disable it..

#statusbar-display {
  display: none !important;
}

Edit: If you like the feature but would like to reduce flickering, this works pretty well (only shows requests that take longer than 1 sec to finish)

.statuspanel-label[value=""] {
  opacity: 0 !important;
}

.statuspanel-label:not([value=""]) {
  opacity: 1 !important;
  -moz-transition-property: opacity !important;
  -moz-transition-delay: 1000ms !important;
}

• Like 1

about:config and flip dom.disable_window_status_change to true

And to completely disable it..

#statusbar-display {
  display: none !important;
}

I do not need to disable the status bar only figure out why it is showing a message from the site I am browsing.

• Like 1

I do not need to disable the status bar only figure out why it is showing a message from the site I am browsing.

The first part of my post should fix it, it's a javascript feature annoyance.

dom.disable_window_status_change;true

• Like 1

I really dislike the text bubble that appears in either the bottom left or right corner saying "Transferring data from *******.com" or "waiting for www.neowin.net" I find the way it fades in and out rather distracting. IE9 beta does this also. :(

Hopefully somebody will find a way to hide it.

• Like 1

do the current nightlies render text properly yet? I'm using beta 10 with hardware acceleration turned off, would be nice if beta 11 fixed the horrible text so i can turn on acceleration.

• Like 1

@Yakuzing: What is the site you get this message?I want to see if i get it too.

@torrentthief: Im using FF nightly and i see practically no difference in text with or without HA.Without HA the letters seem more "thin", but with HA it is also fine with me.

• Like 1

I really dislike the text bubble that appears in either the bottom left or right corner saying "Transferring data from *******.com" or "waiting for www.neowin.net" I find the way it fades in and out rather distracting. IE9 beta does this also. :(

Hopefully somebody will find a way to hide it.

If you had read the last page of this thread, where you also made a post, you would know how to do it...

@kilara1988

The site is too dodgy to post here - it uses software from http://templateshares.net/ - (DO NOT type TS Special edition 7.2 in google or you will find such sites :s)

As mentioned by others it is a feature and I will refer to macel's posts for disabling information

I have another problem.

For a long time I have been able to type in for example "imdb <moviename>" and be sent directly to the right imdb page.

Recently I discovered that it is no longer working.

I was told to go to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL#Possible_values_and_their_effects

I found that it does not provide me with any fix.

I tried to insert one of the suggested urls into the keyword.URL - it still just sent me to the new engine's search page when typing "imdb <moviename>".

keyword.URL;empty

keyword.enabled;true

• Like 1

If you had read the last page of this thread, where you also made a post, you would know how to do it...

:blush: When I originally read that post you are referring to I thought that was in response to something else!

EDIT: 1337 post :D

• Like 1