Meet Firefox 4.0.1

I'm a bit surprised by the speed of which FF4b11 runs, because it runs so much faster than FF 3.6.13. Every page I visit loads / renders a lot faster than before. Since I haven't used any of the FF4 betas before the speed difference is perhaps more obvious to me than to someone who has been using all the betas, but I was pleasantly surprised when using FF4b11 for the first time.

Font rendering is still messy in b11:

FF3: ff3.png

IE9: ie9.png

FF4: ff4.png

It looks like your IE9 picture is using GDI rendering, which is only for cases where it can't use DirectWrite.

When it's using DirectWrite, it'll match Firefox 4.

Is anyone else having the search box get stuck on a search engine? It seems to be happening to me randomly over the last few days where It would get stuck on Wikipedia or ebay and won't change back to Google. I either have to restart the browser, or change a setting inside of the manage search extensions. I've been running the nightly and keeping up to date, but it was happening before Beta 11 was released, so It may be present in that version too.

Here's IE9/FX4/FX3.6 on my computer, FX3.6 using GDI and IE9/FX4 using DirectWrite.

IE9:

157589776.png

Firefox 4:

959827934.png

Firefox 3.6:

849531858.png

The only differences between the IE9 and FX4 screenshot is a different character position (IE9 starts off slightly to the left), and Firefox 4 is doing shaping (ligatures, etc.) while IE9 isn't (look at the "fi")

I suppose its time for final countdown , the final release seems "weeks" far to "me" , so i feel the need to tell u guys about this addon (though most of u already know about it , so dont laugh @ me , i am very emotional haha)

Just install this addon and get the hard blocker counter for the final release https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hard-blockers-counter/

It looks like your IE9 picture is using GDI rendering, which is only for cases where it can't use DirectWrite.

When it's using DirectWrite, it'll match Firefox 4.

that's the thing. IE9 uses GDI on smaller font sizes, and DirectWrite on larger ones it would seem. Which is good.

I suppose its time for final countdown , the final release seems "weeks" far to "me" , so i feel the need to tell u guys about this addon (though most of u already know about it , so dont laugh @ me , i am very emotional haha)

*Installs* Thanks that's a great addon :)

Just install this addon and get the hard blocker counter for the final release https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hard-blockers-counter/

that's the thing. IE9 uses GDI on smaller font sizes, and DirectWrite on larger ones it would seem. Which is good.

Nope, IE9 uses DirectWrite at any size, the switch is based on the page's doctype (Quirks mode gets GDI, Standards mode gets DirectWrite/Direct2D)

You can mix the two APIs, but the result is much slower than either one by themselves (so you don't want to do it in practise)

And it's another reason to use a standards mode doctype when designing pages, you get hardware acceleration in IE9.

Nice! How does it work? Does it have to be updated everyday to display the right counter numbers? Now's showing 36 blockers.

thanks.

BTW, anyone knows if this "C" in the address bar is added by an addon or has landed in recent builds. All I know is that it wasn't there before. :)

C%20in%20addressbar.png

BTW, anyone knows if this "C" in the address bar is added by an addon or has landed in recent builds. All I know is that it wasn't there before. :)

C%20in%20addressbar.png

Try safemode first , u seem to use a theme too , try in safemode and see if its gone , if yes , then search the addon causing

I never save my tabs on closing. Is there at least an option to turn it off, even if it doesn't ask every time?

I'm not using a beta btw, only checking this forum occasionally, which is why I ask the question instead of checking myself.

http://arewefastyet.com/awfy2.php

Seems like firefox is close chrome v8 except from the v8 score but with firefox beta 11 I get a v8 score of 4204 while chrome v10 gets 8888.

But I guess the final firefox 4 will be faster than chrome because of directwrite etc

But once firefox reaches final I will probably switch to palemoon v4 which might hopefully keep it's pattern of being 25% faster.

I never save my tabs on closing. Is there at least an option to turn it off, even if it doesn't ask every time?

I'm not using a beta btw, only checking this forum occasionally, which is why I ask the question instead of checking myself.

Yes, there's an option to turn it off. The option mentioned previously controls it: you just set it to show your home page or a blank page on a new load of Firefox instead of stuff from last time.

I thought i upgraded to opera 11 installing ff 4 b11

Poor attempt at trolling? Just leave it out of this thread, okay?

• Like 2

Installed Beta 11 and noticed that my taskbar preview in Windows 7 and 2d acceleration were disabled. I installed this over beta 10 which had both active. Strange. Anyone else seen this?

How do i make it to ask to save my tabs on exit(like in FF 3.6)??? browser.warnOnQuit is set to true,but after today's nightly it doesn't ask me anymore.How do i make it ask me to save on exit again?

"browser.showQuitWarning; true" is working again in Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b12pre) Gecko/20110209 Firefox/4.0b12pre build. Please check

But once firefox reaches final I will probably switch to palemoon v4 which might hopefully keep it's pattern of being 25% faster.

Reading up about palemoon, I don't see much of a point in it. The claims being made are pretty meaningless, and half of them are simply untrue.

Reading the "geek corner" section, it shows the guy is using an older compiler version than Mozilla is, and makes the point of saying he's doing PGO (Profile Guided Optimisations) on the build. PGO provides a good speed up, which is why Mozilla is already doing it.

"browser.showQuitWarning; true" is working again in Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b12pre) Gecko/20110209 Firefox/4.0b12pre build. Please check

Thanks man.I didn't know about this setting.I only knew about "browser.warnOnQuit".

It's nice, now if only they could put the link's url in there too instead of the address bar :wacko:

It's already like that in the nightlies.

I ended up putting links back in the url bar though since I kept looking in the wrong spot for them, heh.