Meet Firefox 4.0.1

haha! finally put the loading status and such notifications back! :D

even though its hard to see. the blue font blends in with the blue background on neowin :p

You could stick this in your userChrome.css (or Stylish) for more visibility (and you could tone down things a bit as per taste)

.statuspanel-label {
background: #808080 !important;
border: none !important; 
color: maroon !important; /*change to whatever text color you like*/
font-weight: bold !important; /* bolds text*/
font-size: larger !important; /* bumps up the font size*/
	}

It's already like that in the nightlies.

I ended up putting links back in the url bar though since I kept looking in the wrong spot for them, heh.

True, but even with the way things are with the nightlies, we now have to look just in the one place. Of course, having to look in two places could have its advantages ...

What is the effect of turning on the "Tell web sites i don't want to be tracked" option?

Short answer is really nothing just yet.

Ars Technica:

Mozilla has rolled out an eleventh beta release of Firefox 4, the next major version of the browser. In addition to the usual assortment of bugfixes and performance improvements, the new beta also adds support for a "Do Not Track" setting.

The implications of behavioral advertising are a growing source of concern among privacy advocates. In an effort to appease regulators, the most prominent Internet advertising companies voluntarily offer a cookie-based opt-out service that allows users to indicate to advertisers that they don't want to be tracked. It's a good start, but Mozilla sees a lot of room for improvement.

The browser vendor recently proposed a simpler and more seamless solution which involves adding an optional header to HTTP requests. The header can be used to transparently inform advertisers that the user doesn't want to be tracked. It's a better long-term approach than the cookie-based solution because it's easier to manage and integrate into existing software.

Mozilla has implemented the feature in Firefox 4 beta 11. The browser's preferences dialog has a new checkbox that the user can toggle to control whether the opt-out header is transmitted to servers. The setting is disabled by default, but is relatively easy for users to find and enable.

As we explained when we compared the tracking opt-out philosophies of Google and Mozilla last month, the downside of introducing a new Do Not Track mechanism is that won't actually work until it gets buy-in from the major advertising companies. As far as we know, the new header isn't actually recognized by major advertisers yet.

Due to the lack of industry support, toggling the new setting will have no real effect for users at this time. It seems premature to be exposing the feature through the Firefox user interface, but doing so could potentially help to encourage broader adoption by advertisers and other browser vendors. It's worth noting that the advertising industry has been relatively supportive of opt-out technologies in the past, so there is hope that Mozilla's solution will gain some traction.

LINK: http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/02/do-not-track-arrives-in-firefox-beta-ad-industry-not-on-board-yet.ars

Sid Stamm' Blog post on the feature:

(Mozilla security and privacy engineer)

http://blog.sidstamm.com/2011/01/opting-out-of-behavioral-ads.html

Additional info:

http://firstpersoncookie.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/more-choice-and-control-over-online-tracking/

downloaded and installed the latest nightly and the refresh and home button are back on the left but where the heck did the bookmarks icon go? :unsure:

ok that was weird i restored default set and the home button and bookmarks icon are back on the right like in beta 11.

downloaded and installed the latest nightly and the refresh and home button are back on the left but where the heck did the bookmarks icon go? :unsure:

They are all in the exact same spot for me. Right click in toolbar and click "customize" and go about adding them back?

59 blockers left, 19 blocking beta 12. We were at 80 or so just a few days ago so beta 12 should be alot more stable i'm hoping :)

Good :)

And just to note for anyone mislead, through all the discussion of blocker numbers going up and down, non-blocker stuff is always landing. The blocker count might only go down one over a day, but 15 other improvements may have been made. For example, yesterday: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2099435

Is there any list of how FF4 performs in web standards test cases? Currently IE9 is leading by a longshot:

http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/ietestcenter/

Also, ff4 performs horribly in the IE9 test demos which require GPU acceleration.

Those are not the complete test cases, just the ones the IE team submitted (which was a good thing, don't get me wrong - the test cases are needed). It doesn't give the full picture, and certainly doesn't imply better overall standards support in IE9 compared to other browsers.

I expect Fx4 has improved on those specific cases by a reasonable amount.

On GPU tests: hardware accelerated Firefox runs fine for me on them. Not as well as IE9, but a HELL of a lot better than without. Made sure you've got it enabled?

html5test shows a wider range of standards tests, IE9 gets around 116 and ff4 gets around 216 or something so IE9 isn't doing that great but its better than nothing! I bet IE10 will have full html5 support assuming html5 final spec is available by that time. IE9 does the most important things of html5 so the missing things aren't that much of an issue.

don't expect to see beta 12 till end of feb based on how long it's taking to complete 20 blockers. This will be the last beta tho according to Mozilla developer group.

don't expect to see beta 12 till end of feb based on how long it's taking to complete 20 blockers. This will be the last beta tho according to Mozilla developer group.

I hope there won't be 12 RC builds.

I just wish for Firefox to come out around the same time as Windows 7 SP1 does, if not sooner.

Because then I can wipe my PC and restart fresh with a fresh new browser configuration to boot.

(of course, I'll still wipe my PC when SP1 comes out, it'd just be nice to have official Firefox 4 too)

Few theme changes coming to today's nightly!

Bug 624129 -A maximized window with tabs in the titlebar isn't easily draggable when there are many open tabs.

Bug 592676 -(Tabs On Bottom) Toolbars background is missing gradient in upper part

The "Firefox" menu is acting weird in this build too. I hope they fix that.

I just wish for Firefox to come out around the same time as Windows 7 SP1 does, if not sooner.

Because then I can wipe my PC and restart fresh with a fresh new browser configuration to boot.

(of course, I'll still wipe my PC when SP1 comes out, it'd just be nice to have official Firefox 4 too)

I have been wanting to do the same thing but there is no chance of FF4 being released by feb 22. Unfourtanetly.