Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Is there a way for firefox to open 'restore previous session' on the current window? I'm using ff4beta11.

about:sessionrestore

?

yeah, exactly what yowan said, the 'restore previous session' button in 'about:home' opens a new window with tabs from your previous session making the other window useless (at least, for me). Anyway, it's just a minor problem since I could just close the other window, but it'll better if there's an option for that.

I just use the option show my windows and tabs from last time for the setting When Firefox starts.

If you need a menu to organize, backup, and have more than one saved session you can always use Session Manager. It even has a toolbar button I believe. Can't get any easier than that.

Latest Mac nightly supports rendering CoreAnimation plugins via OpenGL layers directly, which means Flash should become much faster now and should only be limited by the speed of your graphics card/CPU.

One game (Happy Wheels) runs great on my Mac now, but there's also a bug where Flash content no-longer repaints unless you hover over links or such (mainly seen on YouTube for me), and there's still some performance issues (Flash drops 1-2 frames a second for me playing back 720p+ content)

Edit: But when they're fixed, plugin rendering will be very smooth.

Latest Mac nightly supports rendering CoreAnimation plugins via OpenGL layers directly, which means Flash should become much faster now and should only be limited by the speed of your graphics card/CPU.

One game (Happy Wheels) runs great on my Mac now, but there's also a bug where Flash content no-longer repaints unless you hover over links or such (mainly seen on YouTube for me), and there's still some performance issues (Flash drops 1-2 frames a second for me playing back 720p+ content)

Nice! Thanks for the update! I am looking forward to this on windows if it is possible! I don't expect it to work perfect but if it works just decent I will be happy! Going to try it along side my Firefox 4 Beta when that happens! Testing new features rock!

Has this happened on windows as well ? The latest nightly makes veetle.com broadcaster a lot faster.

Has this happened on windows as well ? The latest nightly makes veetle.com broadcaster a lot faster.

Lets hope so. Curiosity has really peaked my interest and I must try the latest nightly again. Didn't think Firefox 4 could get any faster! Guess I was wrong. :woot:

Nope, CoreAnimation is strictly OS X only.

There was yet more plugin speed fixes for Windows, but they bounced (and they were a few days ago)

What happened to the animation in the address bar when you highlight a link with the mouse cursor? It's gone in the latest builds, is it a bug or is it removed? Hope for the first because I liked it :D

I'm talking about this

jl0b3q.png

it appears now that the link is reported in the white bar appearing in the lower corner

2dj2fm9.png

What happened to the animation in the address bar when you highlight a link with the mouse cursor? It's gone in the latest builds, is it a bug or is it removed? Hope for the first because I liked it :D

I'm talking about this

jl0b3q.png

it appears now that the link is reported in the white bar appearing in the lower corner

2dj2fm9.png

Thank god for that, it was annoying as hell having it in the address bar...

Nope, CoreAnimation is strictly OS X only.

There was yet more plugin speed fixes for Windows, but they bounced (and they were a few days ago)

oh, well veetle.com broadcaster runs 10x faster than every other beta and around twice as fast as google chrome in the latest nightly.

Uploaded a video of a very simple comparison of Firefox 4 versus Chrome scrolling performance. For a pure CPU-bound scrolling performance test all flash elements were blocked. Direct2D was disabled as it is harder to see stutter with it on.

Uploaded a video of a very simple comparison of Firefox 4 versus Chrome scrolling performance. For a pure CPU-bound scrolling performance test all flash elements were blocked. Direct2D was disabled as it is harder to see stutter with it on.

The latest nightly has no stutter at all, it's really smooth not as fast as chrome but I use my mouse to scroll anyway. This is a real life test, ads still there, no changes from default settings.

Thank you.

Anyone notice that on Windows 7, the top quarter of the window shifts around when you hover over links?

Firefox%204.png

It's that gradient effect as pointed out in the rectangles above.

The latest nightly has no stutter at all, it's really smooth not as fast as chrome but I use my mouse to scroll anyway. This is a real life test, ads still there, no changes from default settings.

Netbook with Windows 7? If not, go sit in the corner.

1. Issue is most prominent on low-end hardware. Netbook has Atom N270 CPU.

2. Issue is masked by Direct2D. I didn't use D2D in video. Netbook still stutters with D2D, but less visible.

3. Issue might also be Windows only.

What add-ons do you all have installed ?

Adblock Plus, Download Them All!, Java, Adobe Acrobat, Flash 10.2

Video is from this weekend.

Same results on both computers over three different W7 editions.

2. Issue is masked by Direct2D. I didn't use D2D in video. Netbook still stutters with D2D, but less visible.

That is probably expected behavior from a netbook.

I noticed yours Firefox seems to have a more white hue to it, that looks nicer than the default blue purple, especially if one uses the bookmarks bar. How is this done?

I was going to edit my post with, I notice that your using a netbook that might explain it but Neowin stops post editing after a while and I only noticed it after I made the video.

I'm not sure how I made it white, I've not made any intentional edits, I installed this theme and then took it off because I didn't like the blue but the white from the theme stuck there :p

That Netbook excuse might be right for some, but not mine...

It's an Asus 1201N ION Dual Core with 4GB of RAM, running W7 HP, it's no Ferrari computer, but it beats many, let me say again many Notebooks on the market... I can already see all the bad reviews it's going to get...

Explain me why IE9 Beta/RC Chrome 10 run perfectly fine with HA on and Firefox ever since 4.0 Beta 5 like crap..

Even the animation of opening and closing a Tab feels sluggish, you actually see the animation a few frames forward or backwards.

Sorry I'm a major Firefox fan ever since v0.9, but 4.0 is just a nightmare on performance... :(

It makes no sense, I can see 720P and even 1080P at 30% CPU use with 0 frames drop.

It's such a nightmare that I'm actually thinking on moving to another browser, something I never thought before in the last 6 years.

PS:Turning On or Off HA in 4.0 makes little difference.

i noticed on my laptop the little status loading message thing on the bottom left has a white rounded background, but on my desktop its just text without a background which is very hard to read on some sites. weird

I noticed that too, and then I realized I was running a theme that was not the default.

Apparently the status message is a themeable element, and if the appropriate images don't exist, it just overlays the text on top of the page..

I noticed yours Firefox seems to have a more white hue to it, that looks nicer than the default blue purple, especially if one uses the bookmarks bar. How is this done?

I believe it's a result of him using a custom theme. Specifically Blend 2.0 found here.

Recently i noticed that when i have more than 7 tabs the X button on them goes away and comes back when there are 7 and less tabs.Can i make it show the X button on tabs always?