Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Firefox used to ask me if I wanted to save the current tabs to reopen them when initializing the browser, or just quit when multiple tabs were open before quitting a session. From some recent nightly builds, this option has gone and I can't seem to find where to enable that again. Was this feature removed from FF4?

"Warn me when closing multiple tabs" and startup behavior of opening the last session are not exactly what I'm looking for :/

EDIT: I found it on browser.showQuitWarning - changed it to TRUE.

Funny, cause that should be set to true by default, but now it has turned to bold, meaning it was set by me?

Anyone else notice that when you go to the bookmarks menu, then right click on a bookmark and say go to delete or properties, it like flickers? I'm guessing this is a bug. I think I noticed it in Beta 10 also, but not in Beta 9. I don't mean the bookmarks toolbar. That is smooth as can be and the way it should be. I mean when you go to the Bookmarks Menu next to History. It seems even the history menu flickers when you right click on stuff. I'm disabling add-ons to see if it's add-on related. So far no luck. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

when you open a bookmark bar link in a new tab, does it sometimes load the homepage for anybody else??

also, more specifically, if you have new tab url (or new tab homepage) installed, is there any way for the cursor to default to the page and not the address bar?? i.e. when i click the new tab button, it loads my homepage google.co.uk, but the cursor goes to the address bar instead of google.co.uk's search box...

i know people will probably say use the search bar etc, but this is just something i'm used to doing, since ever (which you know is a long time since i took the "for" of that mutha******)....

when you open a bookmark bar link in a new tab, does it sometimes load the homepage for anybody else??

also, more specifically, if you have new tab url (or new tab homepage) installed, is there any way for the cursor to default to the page and not the address bar?? i.e. when i click the new tab button, it loads my homepage google.co.uk, but the cursor goes to the address bar instead of google.co.uk's search box...

i know people will probably say use the search bar etc, but this is just something i'm used to doing, since ever (which you know is a long time since i took the "for" of that mutha******)....

I can only answer the first part, and that is a definite no. What about my problem? Read my post and respond please. Thanks!

EDIT: I found it on browser.showQuitWarning - changed it to TRUE.

... it has turned to bold, meaning it was set by me?

Yes. If you click on "Status" in about:config, you will be able to sort the settings: user set or default. The user set ones are in bold but I don't remember setting quite a few of them even though I'm the sole user of my PC !

That Netbook excuse might be right for some, but not mine...

It's an Asus 1201N ION Dual Core with 4GB of RAM, running W7 HP, it's no Ferrari computer, but it beats many, let me say again many Notebooks on the market... I can already see all the bad reviews it's going to get...

Explain me why IE9 Beta/RC Chrome 10 run perfectly fine with HA on and Firefox ever since 4.0 Beta 5 like crap..

Even the animation of opening and closing a Tab feels sluggish, you actually see the animation a few frames forward or backwards.

Sorry I'm a major Firefox fan ever since v0.9, but 4.0 is just a nightmare on performance... :(

It makes no sense, I can see 720P and even 1080P at 30% CPU use with 0 frames drop.

It's such a nightmare that I'm actually thinking on moving to another browser, something I never thought before in the last 6 years.

PS:Turning On or Off HA in 4.0 makes little difference.

I bet that CPU is weaker than Athlon II P340 and that stutters as well. :)

Video is a purely GPU. Not worth mentioning, FF4 doesn't support GPU video and scrolling has nothing to do with it anyway.

I've neen b**ch**g on bugzilla for quite some time now about this.

Netbook with Windows 7? If not, go sit in the corner.

1. Issue is most prominent on low-end hardware. Netbook has Atom N270 CPU.

2. Issue is masked by Direct2D. I didn't use D2D in video. Netbook still stutters with D2D, but less visible.

3. Issue might also be Windows only.

I have an Asrock Ion with an Atom N270 CPU & Nvidia Ion GPU. Ff is freakin aweful! Slow, unresponsive, forcing me to use IE9 or Chrome. Last nite I finished putting together a PC with a quad core and you would not believe how FAST Ff is! I kept thinking that someone was smoking to much of something cause my experience up till now was the exact opposite of theirs. There is a definite need for some type of optimized build for low end cpu's. There is no reason for the competition to have a better browser given the market for mobile computing. Low end cpu equals longer battery life and represents alot of current users.

So maybe I'm behind the power curve, but apparently, at least in Linux, if you're running a 64 bit OS which installs 64 bit browser plugins by default, the version you download from their site via the little link is only 32 bit and will not work with your plugins. You have to go to the nightly builds page to find the latest 64 bit build before it will pick your Java, Flash, and other plugins.

You all got me interested on trying Firefox 4 Beta and nightly on my very old pc. I highly doubt it will do very well but I expect that. That is what Opera is for! I still will try using Firefox 4 on it just not heavily. Mozilla does really need to make sure their browser works well on low end pcs too. Opera has got this down now Mozilla just has to do it. I wonder how Internet Explorer is in this regard especially IE9.

You all got me interested on trying Firefox 4 Beta and nightly on my very old pc. I highly doubt it will do very well but I expect that. That is what Opera is for! I still will try using Firefox 4 on it just not heavily. Mozilla does really need to make sure their browser works well on low end pcs too. Opera has got this down now Mozilla just has to do it. I wonder how Internet Explorer is in this regard especially IE9.

IIRC, IE9 doesn't run on anything older than Windows Vista.

You all got me interested on trying Firefox 4 Beta and nightly on my very old pc. I highly doubt it will do very well but I expect that.

I have the nightly running on an old UMPC that's only got 512MB and a 900MHz Celeron; it's actually pretty good, all things considered. (It's going to be painful regardless of what I run on that setup) My biggest gripe with FF4 is the memory usage though; it's still pretty fat compared to v3. V4 can quickly blow up to 3 or 4 times the memory usage of V3, although I'm guessing it's just using what's available for caching, the "unused memory is wasted memory" principle. Little leery about it yet though, especially when running on the aforementioned antique that hits the swap if you just look at it funny. That thing really has no business running 7 and FF4, more suited for Win95 and Netscape, but hey, why not.

I have the nightly running on an old UMPC that's only got 512MB and a 900MHz Celeron; it's actually pretty good, all things considered. (It's going to be painful regardless of what I run on that setup) My biggest gripe with FF4 is the memory usage though; it's still pretty fat compared to v3. V4 can quickly blow up to 3 or 4 times the memory usage of V3, although I'm guessing it's just using what's available for caching, the "unused memory is wasted memory" principle. Little leery about it yet though, especially when running on the aforementioned antique that hits the swap if you just look at it funny. That thing really has no business running 7 and FF4, more suited for Win95 and Netscape, but hey, why not.

Yeah I tried Windows 7 on my old Intel P4 1.5 Ghz, 512 MB of ram, 40 GB HD, video card barely powerful enough for flash but no gaming can't even run CSS lol and I went back to Windows XP. The biggest problem on the old system is the ram and the HD. Not upgrading SDRAM though.

That is why I use BarTab though with Firefox and always have 40 + tabs open. I could have 200+ tabs if I really wanted. If you don't like BarTab the alternatives are TooManyTabs and TabGroups Manager but I don't like them entirely anymore, at least with Firefox 4, because it now has Tab Groups integrated into it. Now if they actually worked with it then that would be awesome and much more reason to use them. Have used TooManyTabs primarily because it let me move the toolbar where ever I wanted. Though I had to install a add on that let me unlock toolbars.

I use Tab Groups in Firefox 4 but not the way you may think. Only mainly use it as a button with the add-on TabGroups Menu. That way I never have to go into another window just to organize my tabs. Don't worry you don't have to use a menu but you can. I prefer a button.

tabgroupsmenu.png

Seems they changed the behavior of the Find bar. It used to always stay but now as soon as you either change tab or move to another page it closes itself.

Anyway to revert back to the old behavior? Sometimes I use the find bar with the same search text on multiple pages, like on forums without a search thread feature and having to press ctrl+f everytime I change page is getting annoying.

I bet that CPU is weaker than Athlon II P340 and that stutters as well. :)

Video is a purely GPU. Not worth mentioning, FF4 doesn't support GPU video and scrolling has nothing to do with it anyway.

I've neen b**ch**g on bugzilla for quite some time now about this.

The CPU excuse is just the lack of proper optimizations in the code, FX4 is being rushed, everyone knows that... :cool:

FX4 isn't even using 50% of the CPU, because of the lack of multi-core support in FX 4.0... :(

Video and Animations like ad's with Flash interacts with the Web page viewing so it does use the GPU.

Theres a lot of pages to go through, so im just gonna ask.

Is there any way to add more rows to the bookmark toolbar? Since the add-on that worked on ff 3 isnt compatible anymore.

If there isnt, is there any chance it will be added until the final version?

The CPU excuse is just the lack of proper optimizations in the code, FX4 is being rushed, everyone knows that... :cool:

FX4 isn't even using 50% of the CPU, because of the lack of multi-core support in FX 4.0... :(

Video and Animations like ad's with Flash interacts with the Web page viewing so it does use the GPU.

What is mult-core support in a browser exactly and which ones have it ? What is the benefit ?

I am not aware of any multi-row bookmark things, I just use folder drop downs.

I am complaining here to let off steam.

You need to file a bug, comment in an existing bug (like the one I linked to), etc. if you want them to care.

I was just saying that FF doesn't support DXVA functionality and thus your comment on being able to watch HD movies is meaningless.

FF4 does utilize GPU to speed up scrolling and rendering.

Hmm...scrolling hasn't been so great for me, either, but that wasn't until the past few days. Before that it was butter smooth.

I'm at a friend's house now and she has a build from Feb 10th installed and it is noticeably smoother than mine (used to be the other way around), so I wonder what changed between then and now?

I am not aware of any multi-row bookmark things, I just use folder drop downs.

I am complaining here to let off steam.

You need to file a bug, comment in an existing bug (like the one I linked to), etc. if you want them to care.

I was just saying that FF doesn't support DXVA functionality and thus your comment on being able to watch HD movies is meaningless.

FF4 does utilize GPU to speed up scrolling and rendering.

There is another way to speed up firefox scrolling and rendering even more yourself but it is manually and a pain. It works though. It basically like seeing the future of Firefox 4.1 or 5 when each tab is a separate process like IE. Once this happens it will help Firefox a a ton! Just wish it was easier to do manually so it wasn't such a pain in the butt to do now. I don't mind waiting though sense I have a way around it if I really need to make it faster before it is put into firefox.

I decided to try the 64 bit version with the flash 64 bit square. For some reason it was a lot faster for me, that's all really the opposite for me happens for IE9 where the 64bit it slower. The biggest speed boost was the startup, tabs also go more fluid and pages seem to load a tad faster.