Meet Firefox 4.0.1

You set that if you have Windows 7 but your Graphics Card is old and only supports DirectX 9.

For example, if you have 7 series Nvidia card, running FF on D3D10, you'll get weird results and maybe antifacts will appear.

Personally I had terrible issues with my 7950 GTX and Windows 7. When I set "prefer D3D9" all problems solved.

All these happened in previous betas. Don't know now what exactly is going on, since I don't use anymore 7 Series card and the betas have been renewed many times.

If you say so, I recall.

You set that if you have Windows 7 but your Graphics Card is old and only supports DirectX 9.

For example, if you have 7 series Nvidia card, running FF on D3D10, you'll get weird results and maybe antifacts will appear.

You also set that to get some hardware acceleration without the DirectWrite.

DX10 layers only work when you have D2D which only works when DW is enabled.

You can't really choose to have DX9 layers in 7 any other way it seems.

I'm really impressed with the memory usage improvement between B12 and RC1 ... before, it used to increase over time (like reaching 1.2GB), now I don't manage to get it over 600MB on a 4GB machine. In general it seems all round smoother, though some of that might be imagination.

Between Beta 12 and RC have been fixed really good amount of serious bugs. That's a fact.

Can I ask you? Do you use ABP and No Script together?

There is still a leak I think while using both, but, there is patch which hasn't added yet.

Between Beta 12 and RC have been fixed really good amount of serious bugs. That's a fact.#

Indeed ... what was it, 17000 bugs (changes) overall since Fx3.6? Certainly no small amount of work has been going into Fx4. :)

Can I ask you? Do you use ABP and No Script together?

There is still a leak I think while using both, but, there is patch which hasn't added yet.

I don't - I've briefly looked at NoScript, but just found it a little overboard. And scary.

Do they plan on improving the performance of the addons manager? Its responsiveness is poor at the moment, and it marginally improves if I force Firefox to use my dedicated GPU - but I shouldn't have to do that.

Also, this looks a bit tacky:

Personas.png

What add-ons are most likely to cause high CPU usage in FF4? I have ABP, WOT, DownThemAll, Google Toolbar, and a few others. Just trying to figure out what is causing my FF to have high memory usage.

What add-ons are most likely to cause high CPU usage in FF4? I have ABP, WOT, DownThemAll, Google Toolbar, and a few others. Just trying to figure out what is causing my FF to have high memory usage.

Memory, or CPU? And what does high mean for you?

There have been suggestions that Google Toolbar can cause problems. If you don't really need it, try dropping that one.

i liked being able to just double click next to a tab to open a new one, is that possible anymore?

Yup, works just the same, double clicking anywhere on the "Tab Bar" not on an existing tab will open a blank new one.

Memory, or CPU? And what does high mean for you?

My bad. I meant memory. High memory usage to me is about 200,000k, with one or two tabs open after a few minutes of usage.

Yup, works just the same, double clicking anywhere on the "Tab Bar" not on an existing tab will open a blank new one.

? It only does that when the tabs are on the bottom. With tabs on top though, double clicking maximizes the window.

Don't know if it's different on a mac or anything, but that's how it is on windows.

It would have been nice to have it available when using Lion... Probably would be fairly easy to support too

I think Mozilla Firefox 5 will have support for Mac OS X Lion.

I think Mozilla Firefox 5 will have support for Mac OS X Lion.

Lion won't be released until WDC, which is in June. Given the accelerated development roadmap for FF5, seems almost certain they will have it ready around the time it becomes available.

Lion won't be released until WDC, which is in June. Given the accelerated development roadmap for FF5, seems almost certain they will have it ready around the time it becomes available.

Exactly!!!! What I want to say.

Just be patient. We've already suffered a great deal of delays, 12 betas, and 17000 bugs. If it's ready, they will release it. Since the current nightly works fine, I'm ok with waiting for the RC (and for them to make sure it's stable) than getting it now and get an unstable one. And besides, they could always say, "We'll release it tomorrow" but if they find a critical blocker which will prevent them to release RC (yet another delay), it will only disappoint more people.