Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Guys, think about what a Release Candidate is. Why would it say release candidate on a candidate for release? It's intentionally not supposed to change further.

Guys, think about what a Release Candidate is. Why would it say release candidate on a candidate for release? It's intentionally not supposed to change further.

Because that's not the usual method. For every software company other than Mozilla, release candidates cannot become final without rebuilding. I like the way Mozilla does it, but "Release Candidate" usually just means that it's another testing build.

I understand that's the usual process, but sometimes bugs do sneak in and then the program is changed. It would still make sense to say this is the RC version, and then say final or just 4.0 when it's officially final.

an annoying bug in the RC which wasn't there in beta 12 for me:

if you click refresh then click on another tab you have open you can't click on refresh until the previous tab's page has been refreshed, very annoying!

Do you guys use any mouse scrolling addon? Or just the default smooth scroll for ff4?

I used to use Smooth Wheel a long time ago and now I don't use any including Firefox's. I just don't like the look and feel of it.

I understand that's the usual process, but sometimes bugs do sneak in and then the program is changed. It would still make sense to say this is the RC version, and then say final or just 4.0 when it's officially final.

If that were strictly adhered to, you'd never release the final, because bugs will always be found.

The idea in Firefox's case is that the RC is when nothing else changes - if a showstopper appears, you make a new release candidate. You don't fix the bug, then put out the final. Bugs found after declaring the RC final are then point releases.

Alpha, beta, release candidate definitions differ from group to group - but the above approach certainly isn't wrong or particularly strange.

an annoying bug in the RC which wasn't there in beta 12 for me:

if you click refresh then click on another tab you have open you can't click on refresh until the previous tab's page has been refreshed, very annoying!

No issue here for me on RC1.

For some reason extensions won't install anymore on my nightly builds, and I have to download the latest nightlies because the auto updater says I have the most current version each time :/

I think I might wipe it when the RC is out and see if that fixes it!

If that were strictly adhered to, you'd never release the final, because bugs will always be found.

The idea in Firefox's case is that the RC is when nothing else changes - if a showstopper appears, you make a new release candidate. You don't fix the bug, then put out the final. Bugs found after declaring the RC final are then point releases.

Alpha, beta, release candidate definitions differ from group to group - but the above approach certainly isn't wrong or particularly strange.

I do think they should emphasize that it's an RC build. There are still people who might think they already have the ff4 just because one of their friends sent them a link from majorgeeks.

And if some showstopper blocker comes up, people will start whining about it blaming it on FF4 (when what they currently have is a test build)

For some reason extensions won't install anymore on my nightly builds, and I have to download the latest nightlies because the auto updater says I have the most current version each time :/

As far as I understand the builds don't update when a release is near.

I do think they should emphasize that it's an RC build. There are still people who might think they already have the ff4 just because one of their friends sent them a link from majorgeeks.

And if some showstopper blocker comes up, people will start whining about it blaming it on FF4 (when what they currently have is a test build)

I would think that if nothing is found, it will actually be shipped as the final build, so without the RC in the About screen!

As far as I understand the builds don't update when a release is near.

LOL, I thought there really are no updates. So we have to manually install everytime the nightlies is updated? I'll probably wait for the RC then.

Whats the trick ?

go to Customize the toolbar, and slap a 'flexible space' before the tab. it will shrink as you open more, but puts a single tab in the center of the window. nice trick!!

You know im a huge Firefox fan and at first was impressed with FF4, but now the more I use the more I dislike it! I mean I never had problems with FF freezing and it seems to do it a lot now.

is it worth installing the RC on the mozilla ftp or should i wait for it to be officially released

its still showing B12 on the FF4 site

I downloaded the Release Candidate from the Mozilla FTP earlier, and it seems to be running perfectly well for me. Previously, Minefield and the Firefox 4 betas would 'hang' on me for some time, but this doesn't seem to have happened with the Release Candidate yet. Hopefully, it won't happen at all.

I have it installed on my Windows 7 x64 system at home and it is working like a champ no issues with it at all (except that a lot of my addons are not yet supporting it)

is it worth installing the RC on the mozilla ftp or should i wait for it to be officially released

its still showing B12 on the FF4 site

If you can wait a few days more, then wait. a few more days of waiting won't hurt.