Meet Firefox 4.0.1

This is known afaik, but it's not something I can reproduce on my Win7 with RC1. For whatever reason, it's not judged to be a blocker (potentially it needs fairly specific circumstances).

Wait, specific circumstances? Like what? It happens on 100% of the time, on a clean install, default with no add-ons. Right?

Since this thread seems to reach a lot of users I'll check if anyone of you Firefox fans can reproduce an issue I experience.

The decoration gradient on the window border jumps up and down when hovering links as the link target pops up at the bottom left of the browser window. This of course steals focus from the page you are browsing and is rather annoying.

This is on a fresh install of the latest Minefield Nightly at the time of posting (2011-03-08) but b12 acts the same. No extensions or themes. Tried toggling hardware acceleration on or off. Reproduced on 2 computers, both Windows 7. Installing Status-4-Evar and moving link target and status to location bar removes issue.

Check screendump without and with hover.

post-379188-0-68268000-1299624343.png

Same issue, whenever you point a link.

Since this thread seems to reach a lot of users I'll check if anyone of you Firefox fans can reproduce an issue I experience.

The decoration gradient on the window border jumps up and down when hovering links as the link target pops up at the bottom left of the browser window. This of course steals focus from the page you are browsing and is rather annoying.

This is on a fresh install of the latest Minefield Nightly at the time of posting (2011-03-08) but b12 acts the same. No extensions or themes. Tried toggling hardware acceleration on or off. Reproduced on 2 computers, both Windows 7. Installing Status-4-Evar and moving link target and status to location bar removes issue.

The problem is even work when you're on custom visual style. I'm using GlowAir right now and it bugs the hell out of me. For those who want to see it clearly, open the bookmark sidebar and hover over your links. Really irritating!

Wait, specific circumstances? Like what? It happens on 100% of the time, on a clean install, default with no add-ons. Right?

Well, I don't know ... but it evidently doesn't always occur :) I'm not trying to talk down your issue, just saying something specific seems to trigger it, and I'm not sure what.

I've just been able to trigger it myself, but I'm not sure what did it. Moving and resizing the window made it happen, then not happen. Stumped, atm.

It's a known bug. Doesn't sound like it's going to be fixed until after Firefox 4... so sometime Firefox 5? It's also related to the bug where the Aero borders are too thick I believe, which won't be fixed until Firefox 5.

It's weird though... I was having the same issues you were having, I did a clean install of Windows 7, as I screwed up a few system files, and now I can no longer reproduce this issue.

Love it :D

I'm using Chrome 10 and FF4 RC1 (now that FireFTP has been updated) ;)

Firefox4_Chrome_th.png

Firefox4Addons_th.png

Pretty much every one of my extensions work out the box and those that don't were quickly fixed via extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0

Just wondering have you used any custom Windows themes before? I didn't see this problem at all, but I installed Soft7 Visual Style and noticed it occurred after that. I re-opened the Theme patch and restored all of the files that were patched, and I no longer am getting the issue atm. =)

Yup. Clean install, fresh profile, no add-ons, portable and non-portable, on two different Windows installs.

The amount the gradient jumps seems to depend in part on the website in the browser as it only jumps by a few pixels on some sites. Bugs the hell out of me too.

It's a known bug. Doesn't sound like it's going to be fixed until after Firefox 4... so sometime Firefox 5? It's also related to the bug where the Aero borders are too thick I believe, which won't be fixed until Firefox 5.

It's weird though... I was having the same issues you were having, I did a clean install of Windows 7, as I screwed up a few system files, and now I can no longer reproduce this issue.

Known bug then judging by the amount of replies recognizing the issue. Anyone found it in Bugzilla? I tried but that might come down to me not getting along with Bugzilla's search...

I doubt it, because Mozilla have already worked around that problem (they now do font loading manually and lazily)

Edit: The bug with the Aero gloss jumping is well known, but it's not important enough to hold the release (It's a 4.x or 4.0.x thing)

Just wondering have you used any custom Windows themes before? I didn't see this problem at all, but I installed Soft7 Visual Style and noticed it occurred after that. I re-opened the Theme patch and restored all of the files that were patched, and I no longer am getting the issue atm. =)

No custom Windows themes on my end. I have tried different settings in Aero but no luck. Glad you found an end to your issues though. I wish I could do the same.

Edit: Found the bug in Bugzilla for anyone interested, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=633282.

This is something to do with the default theme I think .. I use Nuvola theme and don't see it , if I switch back to the default theme , there it is! , back to Nuvola and it's gone!

I really like what mozilla has done on FF's memory use. 22 tabs for several hours (mostly research so no fancy flash pages) and FF plays around 300-350 MB, and gui is still responding fine (honestly, I don't really care how much memory ff uses, but once it hits 800-900, gui starts to be irresponsive). If added memory means better performance, and as long as UI is still responsive even with higher memory use, then I'm fine with it.

How's that possible?

canweshipyet still shows 1 blocker left.

EDIT: The RC in the releases folder is the same as the one in the nightly folder (compiled 4 days back). Just compared the MD5 sums.