Meet Firefox 4.0.1

awesomebar? compared to ie9 and chrome, the address bar of firefox is not so awesome..

Nope, awesomebar is much better than Chrome/IE address bars. I basically stopped using bookmarks when it was introduced and now pull up all my sites through address bar with a few keystrokes.

The most difficult issue holding back RC seems to be the Hotmail issue, Microsoft is saying that they will fix it before RC phase but that seems highly unlikely at this point.

awesomebar? compared to ie9 and chrome, the address bar of firefox is not so awesome..

try

keyword.URL ; http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=

in about config , and it becomes very awesome imo

I agree, I disabled the search bar in firefox and just used keywords on my search. It's like the omnibar, but instead of just google, you could search on whichever search engine you had bookmarked.

On Beta 12 right now, fast boot up, faster than ever actually... Same amount of RAM used as Chrome... loading of images is SLOWER significantly though than Chrome. :( Rendering slow still too. :( Sigh... and I miss the omnibar already... trying to figure out how everyone else is using keywords but is that only if you have bookmarks set up?

On Beta 12 right now, fast boot up, faster than ever actually... Same amount of RAM used as Chrome... loading of images is SLOWER significantly though than Chrome. :( Rendering slow still too. :( Sigh... and I miss the omnibar already... trying to figure out how everyone else is using keywords but is that only if you have bookmarks set up?

might help a little

browser.urlbar.autoFill;true

might help a little

browser.urlbar.autoFill;true

Thanks for this!

Why is this still so SLOW compared to Chrome!? I removed the theme I tried to use (which made it slower) and I use like 3 addons, all of which are big ones everyone pretty much uses (AdBlock/Greasemonkey)... and it's sucking over 185MB of RAM right now, and actually slowing my PC down... yeah Chrome has used up to 140-150 MB on average, but it never has slowed my PC down. :( Makes me wanna just go back to Chrome. I like what they are doing with FF4, but it renders slower and slows my PC down. Which shouldn't happen. It gets worse when I try to use Tab groups btw.

http://lifehacker.com/#!196779/hack-attack-firefox-and-the-art-of-keyword-bookmarking

Old post, but still working.

as for keyword.URL, just try it for yourself. It's my favorite as well. Why did they disable it by default on ff4?

Okay I get the keyword.URL part... but again, can you guys explain to me why Firefox is now using: 254 MB of RAM off of 3 Tabs?

Edit: 2 tabs = 270 MB of RAM. :( I had a Mashable up for like 2 seconds and it went over 310 MB of RAM, removing that Tab clearly dropped it but STILL. Damn it sucks up a lot.

Edited by NeoDecay

Firefox is using less for me as well compared to Chrome once you add all of Chrome's processes.

Btw, is it me or has the Hardware Acceleration font increased significantly? I was using the Nightly builds, but just switched to beta 12. Fonts seem a bit thicker maybe? Either way it seems to be improving, although still has a ways to go to get rid of the "lllllllllllllllllllll" problem.

2 tabs on Firefox 4 b12 now are at 200 MB

2 tabs (same two websites and everything) on Chrome Dev 11 combined processes at 154 MB

Chrome still feels much snappier and quicker. Whether Chrome has sucked up more RAM, it has never felt like it, it's always responded (except if Flash or Shockwave or Quicktime freeze up!) unlike Firefox which is now slow, and feels slow.

2 tabs (same two websites and everything) on Chrome Dev 11 combined processes at 154 MB

Chrome still feels much snappier and quicker. Whether Chrome has sucked up more RAM, it has never felt like it, it's always responded (except if Flash or Shockwave or Quicktime freeze up!) unlike Firefox which is now slow, and feels slow.

When most of us these days have at least 4GB of Ram, I am hardly concerned about how much resources it uses. Chrome rendering is simply superior and months of coding ahead of Firefox. I'd say that it will take at least until the end of the year for FF to challenge Chrome, if ever.

When most of us these days have at least 4GB of Ram, I am hardly concerned about how much resources it uses. Chrome rendering is simply superior and months of coding ahead of Firefox. I'd say that it will take at least until the end of the year for FF to challenge Chrome, if ever.

I'd prefer if they still caught up. I was such a hardcore fan of FF that I want to be able to use it again. I don't want a resource hog though, whether I have 2GB of RAM or 4GB, it still shouldn't suck it up. That's all. :blush:

NeoDecay, just use chrome and find something better to do with your life instead of writing the same message 10 times. We got it. It's slow and crap.

I am using Chrome, but as I said above to BetaAddict, I was such a huge fan of FF that it just disappoints me that it's come to this. FF feels like the browser of the past, and I'd like for it to be side by side with Chrome. ;) No offense and all, but your reply is just trying to add fuel to an argument, when in reality, I'm stating my experiences and hoping maybe someone has a reason to the issues, or can give me advice how to make it better, not argue or say the "same message 10 times."

Is there a way to put the hover URL back into the address bar? I think I prefer it there rather than the status bar :p

Status 4 evar

@NeoDecay

Choosing a browser depends on the user's experience. If your experience in chrome is way better than that of firefox, then just stick to it.

7 tabs for me -> 150MB

congrats, keep using chrome :)

Thanks for this!

Why is this still so SLOW compared to Chrome!? I removed the theme I tried to use (which made it slower) and I use like 3 addons, all of which are big ones everyone pretty much uses (AdBlock/Greasemonkey)... and it's sucking over 185MB of RAM right now, and actually slowing my PC down... yeah Chrome has used up to 140-150 MB on average, but it never has slowed my PC down. :( Makes me wanna just go back to Chrome. I like what they are doing with FF4, but it renders slower and slows my PC down. Which shouldn't happen. It gets worse when I try to use Tab groups btw.

Fine here with over 50 add-ons.

NeoDecay, just use chrome and find something better to do with your life instead of writing the same message 10 times. We got it. It's slow and crap.

http://min.us/llO8zu

13 tabs and full hardware acceleration.

Agreed. Stop complaining.

I don't understand the whole memory issues that people are having tbh. The ONLY problem with memory usage is when it is a leak in the program. It seems that Mozilla are really working hard on that "bug" in beta 12 and RC.

Comparing how Chrome, IE9 competes with Firefox 3 or 4 with memory usage is almost impossible since all those programs use different methods, Chrome for example using a separate process for every tab.

I don't understand the whole memory issues that people are having tbh. The ONLY problem with memory usage is when it is a leak in the program. It seems that Mozilla are really working hard on that "bug" in beta 12 and RC.

Comparing how Chrome, IE9 competes with Firefox 3 or 4 with memory usage is almost impossible since all those programs use different methods, Chrome for example using a separate process for every tab.

Same here. Firefox 4.1 or 5 will do the same thing. Can't wait.

Good point! ;)