Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Does this glitch happen on other people's Macs with Snow Leopard? Firefox 4 glitch in the Menubar

It has been there since early Firefox 4 betas. With 3.6 and 3.5 of Firefox it happened with the Tools menu the same way like the screenshot above. It happens more often that I would like. I'm not in the File menu at all and yet it's highlighted. I've closed the Firefox window and reopened a new window but the File menu remains active until I actively press it again or any other menu in the Firefox 4 menubar.

You can try it by choosing the File menu -> Import and then simply close the Import window and return to Firefox 4 for a browsing session. Does the File menuitem remain active? Happens each time now that I figured out the correct trigger that I mentioned with the Import window. This adds to the incompleteness of the Firefox codebase for the Mac. And why I think it's mostly a hackjob what Mozilla does with their Mac porting. I'll continue to use Firefox 4 for now then just give up on it.

I gave the description better wording.

Looks like HW acceleration works fine with the horrible font rendering turned off now (directwrite i guess). Don't think it was able to in previous betas - trying to turn off the font rendering would turn HW off as a whole.

ff4b12.png

(Y)

Does this glitch happen on other people's Macs with Snow Leopard? Firefox 4 glitch in the Menubar

It has been there since early Firefox 4 betas. With 3.6 and 3.5 of Firefox it happened with the Tools menu the same way like the screenshot above. It happens more often that I would like. I'm not in the File menu at all and yet it's highlighted. I've closed the Firefox window and reopened a new window but the File menu remains active until I actively press it again or any other menu in the Firefox 4 menubar.

You can try it by choosing the File menu -> Import and then simply close the Import window and return to Firefox 4 for a browsing session. Does the File menuitem remain active? Happens each time now that I figured out the correct trigger that I mentioned with the Import window. This adds to the incompleteness of the Firefox codebase for the Mac. And why I think it's mostly a hackjob what Mozilla does with their Mac porting. I'll continue to use Firefox 4 for now then just give up on it.

I gave the description better wording.

I can´t recreate that. Try create a new profile i firefox to see if thats the culprit.

I don't understand the whole memory issues that people are having tbh. The ONLY problem with memory usage is when it is a leak in the program. It seems that Mozilla are really working hard on that "bug" in beta 12 and RC.

Comparing how Chrome, IE9 competes with Firefox 3 or 4 with memory usage is almost impossible since all those programs use different methods, Chrome for example using a separate process for every tab.

This,

Chrome actually uses way more resources than Firefox, it just doesn't seem like it because it's in different processes.

Looks like HW acceleration works fine with the horrible font rendering turned off now (directwrite i guess). Don't think it was able to in previous betas - trying to turn off the font rendering would turn HW off as a whole.

ff4b12.png

(Y)

Good to know that (Y)

ff4b12.png

(Y)

Could you please tell me how to disable the font rendering and keep HW acceleration? I can't quite tell from your screenshot since everything's set to default. In fact I don't really dislike the way FF does handle text with DirectWrite though I much prefer my GDI++

Anyone using this as their main browser on a day to day basis? I used earlier betas but they were really buggy and I went back to FF3.

I use it since Beta1, so far no problems except the buggy HA in previous betas :)

Anyone using this as their main browser on a day to day basis? I used earlier betas but they were really buggy and I went back to FF3.

I did then stopped and went back to Firefox 3.6. Now back with Firefox 4 Beta! Started using it again with Beta 9. With Firefox 4 being on the last Beta there is no reason not to. Though if you feel you can wait a few weeks then there no real reason to update now. I come to a point though Firefox 4 Beta is good enough that it is impossible for me to go back to Firefox 3.6!

Could you please tell me how to disable the font rendering and keep HW acceleration? I can't quite tell from your screenshot since everything's set to default. In fact I don't really dislike the way FF does handle text with DirectWrite though I much prefer my GDI++

I can't say for sure, it may have been toggling directwrite.enabled to false when I was using beta 8 or something back then, as I'm still on the same profile for Beta 12. I noticed that having it disabled meant HW acceleration tests didn't work and did a slow 10fps in previous betas, but now it doesn't.

I can´t recreate that. Try create a new profile i firefox to see if thats the culprit.

If it wasn't a completely fresh profile I would have done that without thinking about it. I always create fresh profiles when trying new Firefox betas, I save my bookmarks and wipe everything related to Firefox.

I've created a Firefox complaint on Mozilla's official Firefox Support page.

Thanks for trying it on your Mac. And for your suggestion too.

Can I re-enable "hovering links in the address bar" directly in Firefox (without the need for Status 4 Evar)

Also, just outta interest, is there a list of recommended tweaks to about:config? I've never really messed with it, but would like to have a go...

I'm glad to hear they fixed the hotmail reloading issue. Now, they just need to fix the small, Bookmarks Menu display issue. If they fix that, it's damn near perfect! One thing I wish they'd add, is the option of moving the add-on bar (formerly status bar) to the top.

I'm glad to hear they fixed the hotmail reloading issue. Now, they just need to fix the small, Bookmarks Menu display issue. If they fix that, it's damn near perfect! One thing I wish they'd add, is the option of moving the add-on bar (formerly status bar) to the top.

Yes! I hated that Hotmail bug!

Is anyone else not able to remove the Firefox icon from the taskbar? I cant right click and select unpin from taskbar! Any help on how to remove the icon from my taskbar?

EDIT: wtf! the hotmail bug still exists!

Yes! I hated that Hotmail bug!

Is anyone else not able to remove the Firefox icon from the taskbar? I cant right click and select unpin from taskbar! Any help on how to remove the icon from my taskbar?

EDIT: wtf! the hotmail bug still exists!

If you read the bug report on Bugzilla, it says that the Hotmail bug is actually a bug with Hotmail, not Firefox. Microsoft have stated that its fixed, but we won't see it until the RC.

If you read the bug report on Bugzilla, it says that the Hotmail bug is actually a bug with Hotmail, not Firefox. Microsoft have stated that its fixed, but we won't see it until the RC.

son of a biscuit, thats a huge disadvantage for me

I think RC is still 2-3 weeks away which falls into the mid March time frame, so hotmail will be broken till than unfortunately (unless you use a nightly build)

I can't say for sure, it may have been toggling directwrite.enabled to false when I was using beta 8 or something back then, as I'm still on the same profile for Beta 12. I noticed that having it disabled meant HW acceleration tests didn't work and did a slow 10fps in previous betas, but now it doesn't.

Well I played around with the gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled switch but I can't see any difference toggling it on or off :(

Ugh, the hover over effect bug in the menu is still present :(

Is that the same as the Bookmarks Menu display issue I mentioned? Where you right click on a folder or bookmark, and it likes flickers as you move up and down to select something like delete? That's really the only annoying bug for me besides the hotmail issue. I don't think the bookmarks display issue bug existed in Beta 9. I could be wrong, though. It works smoothly and perfectly on the bookmarks toolbar. It's just a problem with the Bookmarks Menu. I just filed a bug report for that, so I hope they fix it in time for the final.

Anyone know if the hover over effect bug in the menu/Bookmarks Menu display issue is fixed in the newest nightly? The pre Beta 13 that everyone has raved about. The one that is fast and uses less memory.

Can anyone tell me how to manually remove pinned items on the taskbar (assuming its a regedit)?

Does this help? %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar